• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Panzer Battles (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=280)
+--- Thread: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread (/showthread.php?tid=68266)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread - Outlaw Josey Wales - 08-13-2015

I didn't figure ANZAC or South African unless it is somewhere in Italy.

despite the lack of the para wing symbol for Airborne, I still took it because of what looks like the US flag patch.

Number 8 could be the Belgians that were attached to 6th AB. The different shade of red would make sense there. I also thought that it could be HQ for Polish Armored unit.

Not knowing which three were wrong in each guess makes it difficult. And only three guesses really makes it difficult since I only have one left.

Hell with it, last guess with another gamble...........

1) Ost(Russian POWs)
2) Heer
3) SS
4) US
5) US Airborne
6) French
7) British
8) Belgian (going with the different shade being attached to 6th AB)
9) Polish (Even though it was armored div, still had to have mobile Infantry)
10) Dutch
11) Brit Airborne
12) Canadian

7 and 12 could go either way on switch, but I went this way with the Bren as more representative with Brits than Canadians.

RE: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread - DaveMic - 08-13-2015

I was wrong...not a Scottish...and photo comes from the MTO..;)

[Image: essai2.jpg]

Corporal M Smith of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, posing with a Thompson sub-machine gun in the San Angelo area of Italy, April 1944.

Number 12 : British ; )

RE: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread - DaveMic - 08-13-2015

Third and last attempt...

Number 1 : Luftwaffe...
Number 2 : Heer
Number 3 : Waffen SS
Number 4 : United States
Number 5 : US Airborne
Number 6 : Free French
Number 7 : Canadian
Number 8 : Free Belgian
Number 9 : Free Dutch
Number 10 : Free Polish
Number 11 : British Airborne
Number 12 : British

RE: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread - Strela - 08-13-2015

(08-13-2015, 03:07 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: I didn't figure ANZAC or South African unless it is somewhere in Italy.

despite the lack of the para wing symbol for Airborne, I still took it because of what looks like the US flag patch.

Number 8 could be the Belgians that were attached to 6th AB. The different shade of red would make sense there. I also thought that it could be HQ for Polish Armored unit.

Not knowing which three were wrong in each guess makes it difficult. And only three guesses really makes it difficult since I only have one left.

Hell with it, last guess with another gamble...........

1) Ost(Russian POWs)
2) Heer
3) SS
4) US
5) US Airborne
6) French
7) British
8) Belgian (going with the different shade being attached to 6th AB)
9) Polish (Even though it was armored div, still had to have mobile Infantry)
10) Dutch
11) Brit Airborne
12) Canadian

7 and 12 could go either way on switch, but I went this way with the Bren as more representative with Brits than Canadians.

7 from 12...... You're slipping backwards! Whistle

(08-13-2015, 03:54 AM)DaveMic Wrote: I was wrong...not a Scottish...and photo comes from the MTO..;)

[Image: essai2.jpg]

Corporal M Smith of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, posing with a Thompson sub-machine gun in the San Angelo area of Italy, April 1944.

Number 12 : British ; )

I have had about 6 attempts at re colouring this uniform and have not got it a 'better' shade than the original. I'm away for work (Sydney, Australia) but will post some examples when I get home Helmet Smile

David

(08-13-2015, 04:28 AM)DaveMic Wrote: Third and last attempt...

Number 1 : Luftwaffe...
Number 2 : Heer
Number 3 : Waffen SS
Number 4 : United States
Number 5 : US Airborne
Number 6 : Free French
Number 7 : Canadian
Number 8 : Free Belgian
Number 9 : Free Dutch
Number 10 : Free Polish
Number 11 : British Airborne
Number 12 : British

Oh my stars...! There is some logic to the counter colours team!

Davemic 'improves' from his 8 (+sorta 2) to 9 from 12.

LAST clue..... Davemic has every 'nationality' right......

David

RE: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread - -72- - 08-13-2015

Just throwing this out there...
[Image: IMG_5488.JPG?m=1417430186]

RE: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread - Strela - 08-15-2015

Hi all,

These are not intended to be weekly updates (or any frequency at all!) but it seems to be the only time I have a little extra bandwidth.

As mentioned elsewhere I was away on work travel and that slowed a few things down this week. An additional (big) scenario has just been completed and this will be a fun team play game. At forty turns it's manageable yet with a 'monster' scope. We got some time with one of the new 'features' for Panzer Battles that has huge potential. We may not use this feature to the depth we would like, but it will come down to bandwidth in the final home run.

There has been lots of talk in the 'nationalities' teaser about uniforms. Firstly, many of our graphics are generic. It's hard to find an appropriate photo with the right badges, beret etc. Sometimes there are even theatre issues as pointed out with Corporal M Smith.

We will try and correct or find images where we have glaring issues. A great example is the Luftwaffe/Marine discussion. The represented unit is Luftwaffe. When I went back and looked at how we arrived at green uniforms vs the expected blue, it turns out Osprey shows both in one of their volumes. The green was used. That said, I'm proposing to change it to the more common luft blue.

As we haven't announced the title, we can't share scenarios and other interesting info and hence we continue to use graphics as the discussion driver for the moment. Apologies to all that see endless pictures in this thread. We will share more on the game title/topic soon.

With graphics in mind, I thought it worthwhile to show you the effort it takes to change from green to blue in a simple uniform.

The below shot shows the original photo which was in black and white. The second shot is the current colourisation using green for the uniform. The third shot is adjusted for a more blue uniform;

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20193.png]

How was the change from green to blue done? Essentially we convert the graphic into multiple layers with the black and white image as the base. That then has a colour 'rinse' overlaid to get the blue uniform we want. This is done by combining the grey from the black and white and tweaking the opacity of the blue. Lastly, we put the original green uniform image as the top layer and cut away all the green uniform allowing the blue to show through. This leaves the leather strapping, flesh tones and other equipment in their original colours and they supersede the blue uniform below.

Here is an example of the layers - you can see how the uniform is removed in the top layer;

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20194.png]

Finally we can convert that into game images. That requires a special resizing program. As should be obvious a lot of detail is lost in this process, but enough remains to still be of reasonable quality.

Here are the 100% & 200% examples of both uniform colours;

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20195.png]

[Image: PB%20Graphics%20196.png]

There is a lot of effort that goes into the game images and considering the size we end up with, maybe just a little too much...!

David

PS I will close the 'nationalities' teaser off by the end of the weekend unless someone gets it before then.

RE: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread - DaveMic - 08-15-2015

Obergefreiter of Luftwaffen-Division 'Meindl' in Russia, 1942.
a good generic choice :)
David thank you for sharing some of your skills, very interesting.

RE: Panzer Battles 2 - The Official Teaser Thread - ComradeP - 08-15-2015

For some reason, I associate the word "Britain" and the words derived from it more with England than with the UK as a whole, but it's a legitimate choice. I seem to recall the nationality was UK in PzC titles, but I could be mistaken.

By the way Strela, Xaver posted a guess before my first guess on page 6 which you may have missed.