• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Combat Mission (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... (/showthread.php?tid=44507)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... - British Tommy - 03-16-2008

LMAO!!!!

It must be you on that white charger in the background..... ready to make a swift exit when the anti POS brigade arrives with the pitchforks! Big Grin

RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... - PoorOldSpike - 03-16-2008

Combat footage, Winter Storm-
The Russians advance to intercept 23rd Pz Div.
Note the pure uncluttered sense of space and distance of the Russian hinterland..

[Image: WS23rd.gif]

RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... - Artur - 03-16-2008

How big the maps can be in PC Winter Storm? Is there a limit to the unit number?

Are there only platoons of tanks or also companies of tanks? Are there platoons, companies ans battalions of infantry?

Artur.

RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... - Mad Russian - 03-17-2008

Artur Wrote:How big the maps can be in PC Winter Storm? Is there a limit to the unit number?

Are there only platoons of tanks or also companies of tanks? Are there platoons, companies ans battalions of infantry?

Artur.

The maps are 1km x 1km. There is no map editor for the system yet but that is the highest item on their priority list from what I'm told.

Yes. All the units in the game from what I've seen in the tutorial are platoons. You normally issue all your orders through the leaders.

Not sure about Bn and Co commanders yet.

Good Hunting.

MR

RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... - junk2drive - 03-17-2008

Cooks, medics and HQs are not in the front lines. Platoon CO is as high as you get.

If you open an xml with notepad (try one from the OWS demo) you will see the command structure. A scen designer can edit the description of a unit for historical battles.

Microsoft offers a free xml editor that I found easy to use and there are other freewares.

junk2drive Wrote:Cooks, medics and HQs are not in the front lines. Platoon CO is as high as you get.

If you open an xml with notepad (try one from the OWS demo) you will see the command structure. A scen designer can edit the description of a unit for historical battles.

Microsoft offers a free xml editor that I found easy to use and there are other freewares.

In my experiences Company and often Bn commanders are often in the front lines. At times even Brigade and Division commanders. But that doesn't matter. What's in the game is in the game. If PC has it's commanders back then you work with that.

Good Hunting.

MR

Panzer Commander is a game as different as CM was.

It's not a miniatures style of game where you control every single vehicle. It's more a command simulation game where you are the company or the battalion commander. Much the same as what CM claimed you were.

There's not alot of micro management in the game. There are some issues that were in Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm that they are working to correct. All of them, IMO, will make the game more acceptable to the old CM community.

Not everybody will like PC because it does put you in the role of the commander. Those of you that didn't like not knowing exactly when, where and what your reinforcements contained at any given moment probably won't like PC as well as you do CM. No battlefield commander in the history of the world has ever had that kind of control though so it's okay. That's why they have a chain of command. The details are all just too much for one man.

On the other hand if you are looking for a combat simulation where you are the commander and not just playing every single man on the field this may well be for you.

All of the games in the series are to be upgraded with each release. As soon as a game is released whatever improvements have been made will be included in the game for previous games in the series. A HUGE advantage over other game series.

There is no map editor at the moment but they are looking to do a map editor with the next game in the series. (At the moment that is my one main concern with the game.) Which should also take the series to NW Europe!

Take a look at the series. I think it's certainly worth the time to see whether it has something to offer you.

Good Hunting.

MR

RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... - junk2drive - 03-17-2008

The only thing I ever did with higher commanders in CM was use them for spotters for indirect fire. Of course I suck at CM...

Any CO can spot for off map arty (within the rules) and on map needs LOS.

In some respects PC is a simpler game than CM but a good wargame in it's own way.

junk2drive Wrote:The only thing I ever did with higher commanders in CM was use them for spotters for indirect fire. Of course I suck at CM...

Any CO can spot for off map arty (within the rules) and on map needs LOS.

In some respects PC is a simpler game than CM but a good wargame in it's own way.

You were missing out on very powerful tools in CM if you didn't use the extra leaders. They allow for a much broader area to be covered with leadership modifiers. Also, helping to have units come back from levels of disruption.

PC seems to me to me more simple only in the fact that you don't have to micro manage the game like you do CM.

Artillery is worlds apart in their modeling in the two games. Both work. Both are an abstraction. I don't see one method any better or worse than the other.

Good Hunting.

MR

RE: Interesting news over at Matrix guys....... - Artur - 03-17-2008

I am not very happy with 1X1 km. It allows for only tiny battles. No big maneuvres whatsoever. The CMAK 4X5 km is desirable for me, I would like to have the same in CMBB instead of 3X3 km. 1 km is very small IMHO. especially for tank warfare.

Having no battalion structure is also a minus.

I don't mind having less micromanagement but I would like then a deeper hierarchy and bigger maps instead!

Artur.