• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
The Competition & Teaser Thread - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Panzer Battles (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=280)
+--- Thread: The Competition & Teaser Thread (/showthread.php?tid=65518)

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Xaver - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 06:53 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(02-04-2014, 04:59 AM)Xaver Wrote: guys remember, we want it and we want it YESTERDAY!!!! work my Whip

Xaver, you are like my 14-year old daughter in this regard... *sigh* Rolling Eyes

[Image: not-sure-if-good-thing-or-bad-thing-thumb.jpg]

My problem is i am a patient man without patience Big Grin

Who has not heard of the very famous invasion of Oklahoma by the special SS zombie ninja communist army??? ... why not if are nazis in the moon.... Big Grin2

Ummm what i can ask now about game... o well, how letal is the game??? i refer in lets see a turn how is the casualties rate... in PzC to be turns of 2 hours sometimes armor combat be a little slow... and how you control the unit casualties replacement??? as in PzC same value for infantry/vehicles or you control this with 2 values???.

Thanks.

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Aaron - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 09:30 PM)Xaver Wrote:
(02-04-2014, 06:53 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(02-04-2014, 04:59 AM)Xaver Wrote: guys remember, we want it and we want it YESTERDAY!!!! work my Whip

Xaver, you are like my 14-year old daughter in this regard... *sigh* Rolling Eyes

[Image: not-sure-if-good-thing-or-bad-thing-thumb.jpg]

My problem is i am a patient man without patience Big Grin

Who has not heard of the very famous invasion of Oklahoma by the special SS zombie ninja communist army??? ... why not if are nazis in the moon.... Big Grin2

Ummm what i can ask now about game... o well, how letal is the game??? i refer in lets see a turn how is the casualties rate... in PzC to be turns of 2 hours sometimes armor combat be a little slow... and how you control the unit casualties replacement??? as in PzC same value for infantry/vehicles or you control this with 2 values???.

Thanks.

No replacements in the game. Most battles are 1 day or less

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Xaver - 02-05-2014

Thanks for the reply... but you say is not modeled recover light damage vehicles??? or recover stragglers for example.

I think in certain battle where minefields inmobilize a lot of tanks but they be ready to fight after repair them in hours... what is the name of the battle... is one with a bulge heavy fortified attacked by two flanks... hundreds of tanks ... damn, what is the name??? somebody know what battle is??? LOL

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Outlaw Josey Wales - 02-05-2014

Most times, the Germans would recover their vehicles after dark, work on them all night and get some back the next day, which would be outside the realm of the scenarios at the moment. There were times when a tank would lose a track and the crew repaired it, also sometimes under fire, but the norm was the all nighters.

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Kuriltai - 02-05-2014

Just curious what the biggest map size would/could be?
Assuming Kursk, the SS PzKorps frontage was around 20 km.The distance to Prokhorovka around 45 km.
Just thinking toward future titles,how big a map you could use or would you be held to a corps size or would a couple corps be possible?

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Aaron - 02-05-2014

(02-05-2014, 07:25 AM)Kuriltai Wrote: Just curious what the biggest map size would/could be?
Assuming Kursk, the SS PzKorps frontage was around 20 km.The distance to Prokhorovka around 45 km.
Just thinking toward future titles,how big a map you could use or would you be held to a corps size or would a couple corps be possible?

You can use any size map that the designer wants. The bigger the map the more work for the designer placing fields,grass,forests and such. Could be a couple months worth of work in the master map itself and from there you can create the smaller scenarios.

Aaron

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Strela - 02-05-2014

(02-05-2014, 09:26 AM)tazaaron Wrote:
(02-05-2014, 07:25 AM)Kuriltai Wrote: Just curious what the biggest map size would/could be?

You can use any size map that the designer wants. The bigger the map the more work for the designer placing fields,grass,forests and such. Could be a couple months worth of work in the master map itself and from there you can create the smaller scenarios.

Aaron

As Taz said as big as you like.

The coolest feature is that the designers have a utility that converts existing Panzer Campaigns/Modern Campaigns maps into the Panzer Battles format. As Aaron said it then needs to be spiced up with more detail and that's what takes the time.

As a test we converted the PzC Moscow '42 map which is one of the biggest ever at 243,628 hexes. Using the converter the equivalent PzB map was 3,898,395 hexes Yikes2

David

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Kuriltai - 02-05-2014

Quote:The coolest feature is that the designers have a utility that converts existing Panzer Campaigns/Modern Campaigns maps into the Panzer Battles format. As Aaron said it then needs to be spiced up with more detail and that's what takes the time.

As a test we converted the PzC Moscow '42 map which is one of the biggest ever at 243,628 hexes. Using the converter the equivalent PzB map was 3,898,395 hexes Yikes2

Sounds good!
All we need now is an OOB converter and we can expect a gazillion new releases this year ?!?! Big Grin Big Laugh

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Strela - 02-05-2014

(02-05-2014, 12:24 PM)Kuriltai Wrote: Sounds good!
All we need now is an OOB converter and we can expect a gazillion new releases this year ?!?! Big Grin Big Laugh

There actually is an OOB converter, it's useful but not perfect. It comes down to the standard of the initial OB and the structure of units etc. Unfortunately creating an OB (and map) are just two steps out of the multitude. The scenarios and testing are probably the biggest in terms of time and items such as the Parameter data can have a huge influence over these.

Add a new game series with a lot of new features and there is a lot of work.

Talking about the map, here is reminder of the map from the first page.

[Image: 5112f92913PB%20Map.png]

Now have a look at this version straight out of the converter. It's roughly the same area and needs height levels, labels and details put on it.

[Image: 0ccebcd08bPB%20Graphics%2042.png]

You can imagine the amount of time, research and work to adjust the map to the finished state.

Another factoid here. This map section is 36 X 18 hexes = 648 hexes. The full map in the upcoming release is 299 X 341 hexes = 101,959 hexes in total. Imagine the time it takes to update the map to the standard required.

David

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - ComradeP - 02-05-2014

For Moscow '42, large parts of the map wouldn't really be used much in both campaigns, either because there wouldn't be much fighting there most of the time or because they're (too far) behind the initial frontlines. Even though the map is smaller, it could still feel "big".

Unless I'm mistaken, the map is 74.75x85.25 kilometres in size.

Quote:I'm not certain what the issue is?

Not entirely sure if you're referring to what GerryM and Liebchen mentioned or what I mentioned.

I think the game models sloping terrain fairly well even at a 1km scale, but I feel line of sight being blocked by a vertical obstacle shouldn't be treated in the same way as it being blocked by sloping terrain as vertical obstacle like a group of trees blocks the entire "cone" of the line of sight, not just a small part of it.

Two questions about opportunity fire and the spotted/hidden mechanic:

-When you explained that a unit will "override" the opportunity fire settings the player dictates if spotted, did you mean: if fired upon, considering that you imply there's no automatic detection when a unit is spotted?

-To further that point: if there's no automatic detection of whether a unit is spotted, how does the release mechanic for fixed units work? Does the fixed unit need to spot something himself, for example, instead of being spotted like in PzC (so the other way around of the PzC system)?