• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
The Competition & Teaser Thread - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Panzer Battles (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=280)
+--- Thread: The Competition & Teaser Thread (/showthread.php?tid=65518)

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - GerryM - 02-04-2014

Hello All:

Question on Hills. Does these act as in ASl where if you had a clump of Level-1 hills that there was a plateau effect? IOW someone in teh middle of the clump of Level-1 hexes could not see down in to the valley and vice versa?

Thanks,

Gerry

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Liebchen - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 04:05 AM)GerryM Wrote: Hello All:

Question on Hills. Does these act as in ASl where if you had a clump of Level-1 hills that there was a plateau effect? IOW someone in teh middle of the clump of Level-1 hexes could not see down in to the valley and vice versa?

Thanks,

Gerry

Yes, this: Have you finally addressed the lack of sloping hills?

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - ComradeP - 02-04-2014

Unless I misunderstand your point, this is already in, at least in Moscow '42.

Example:

The Rifle battalion at height 150 in the top right can't see the German infantry battalion to the south because there's a 150m hex in between and the German unit is at height 100.

It can see another German unit at height level 200. That, to me, is the only somewhat odd thing about spotting in PzC in terms of terrain that I can currently think of, that obstacles don't always block line of sight even though realistically the unit probably wouldn't be able to see through the town or forest at the same height to spot the enemy unit in the distance.

[Image: d73t.jpg]

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Xaver - 02-04-2014

Thanks for the reply Strela.

The only question is how impact in raiders receive fire, they dismount when are under fire or only when one of the "transports" is destroyed???

Last releases i remember see the anounce in morning and game released aroud 16:00 Berlin time but guys remember, we want it and we want it YESTERDAY!!!! work my Whip

I think you can put some warning signals in work zone... LOL

[Image: fc,300x300,black.jpg]

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Liebchen - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 04:59 AM)Xaver Wrote: guys remember, we want it and we want it YESTERDAY!!!! work my Whip

Xaver, you are like my 14-year old daughter in this regard... *sigh* Rolling Eyes

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Tide1 - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 03:14 AM)tazaaron Wrote: I wondered how long it was gonna take you to bring out the big guns.

(02-04-2014, 02:58 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: When a game is released, are they released at a certain time like first thing in the morning or does it vary each title?

Well for David being in Singapore when is morning anywhere, and then hes gotta eat his donuts and drink 2 pots coffee then he might release the game sometime mid afternoon depending on where you live it might be 3 am
That would also be 3 am the next day Mex Big Grin

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Strela - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 04:44 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Unless I misunderstand your point, this is already in, at least in Moscow '42.

Example:

The Rifle battalion at height 150 in the top right can't see the German infantry battalion to the south because there's a 150m hex in between and the German unit is at height 100.

It can see another German unit at height level 200. That, to me, is the only somewhat odd thing about spotting in PzC in terms of terrain that I can currently think of, that obstacles don't always block line of sight even though realistically the unit probably wouldn't be able to see through the town or forest at the same height to spot the enemy unit in the distance.

I'm not certain what the issue is?

Importantly in both PzC & PzB, in hex terrain heights are taken into account also.

Here is the entries from the PzB PDT table.

[Image: 83738c9d02PB%20Graphics%2041.png]

As far as sloping hills and other issues, LOS is done from the centre of the hex to the hex of the target hex. The plateau effect is appropriate.

Have a look at this photo. This was taken when I visited the battlefield that is in the game last year (a lot more on that to come). This hill/rise is overlooking a river crossing point. You can see that any defensive position a further 10 metres back from where this photo was taken from could not see down to where the crossing is. Put a 250 metre hex in front and you have no chance.

[Image: e5e998704ePB%20Graphics%2042.jpeg]

David

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Aaron - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 11:42 AM)Strela Wrote:
(02-04-2014, 04:44 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Unless I misunderstand your point, this is already in, at least in Moscow '42.

Example:

I'm not certain what the issue is?

Importantly in both PzC & PzB, in hex terrain heights are taken into account also.

Here is the entries from the PzB PDT table.

[Image: 83738c9d02PB%20Graphics%2041.png]

As far as sloping hills and other issues, LOS is done from the centre of the hex to the hex of the target hex. The plateau effect is appropriate.

Have a look at this photo. This was taken when I visited the battlefield that is in the game last year (a lot more on that to come). This hill/rise is overlooking a river crossing point. You can see that any defensive position a further 10 metres back from where this photo was taken from could not see down to where the crossing is. Put a 250 metre hex in front and you have no chance.

[Image: e5e998704ePB%20Graphics%2042.jpeg]

David

I can see my house.

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Outlaw Josey Wales - 02-04-2014

Also, remember that not all hills/higher elevations are gently sloping straight up. Even where you are standing, it looks like dead space in front. it is hard to show on these maps unless they were to drastically change to show contour lines and much larger hexes which would mean much smaller scenarios, IMO. I used to work Land Surveying and have done plenty of the contour maps where you have to lay out the grid and plot where all the elevations shots were taken and then calculate where each contour line ran. The farther apart, the gentler the incline, the closer together, the steeper it is.

As for graphics and the game itself, it is looking more like a mix between SBs, PzCs and CS series. That last part of setting distance to fire is like CS. As far as graphics, if it were to have 3d maps and graphics, the detail provided in CS is pretty good. There is no doubt what tank you are loking at and was very well done overall.

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Strela - 02-04-2014

(02-04-2014, 01:15 PM)tazaaron Wrote: I can see my house.

Your right, I visited Oklahoma, last July!!!

I just have to work out why the SS were also there in the '40s.....! Wink

David