• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Ridley Scott Napoleon Movie - Depiction of Waterloo
01-17-2024, 08:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-17-2024, 08:55 AM by Elxaime.)
Ridley Scott Napoleon Movie - Depiction of Waterloo
Just for fun, I thought I'd deconstruct the Battle of Waterloo scene.  I learned some amazing things I did not know before.  Clip is here: Battle Of Waterloo Scene | NAPOLEON (2023) Joaquin Phoenix, Movie CLIP HD (youtube.com)

SPOILER ALERT

0:06:  Napoleon looks tired here, wearily putting on his famous hat.  Seems right.  By 1815, Napoleon was in the twilight of his career and reportedly suffering from various ailments during this campaign. 

0:45:  French Cuirassiers circling a British (or KGL?) infantry square.  Looks great.  This must be the period of the battle where Ney was launching his mass, albeit unsupported, cavalry charges at the Allied center.  Props to anyone who can identify the British regiment from its colors.

1:30:  The French cavalry returning defeated.  Napoleon personally rallies his men, showing his fearlessness by standing in front of the ranks of weapons pointed at the enemy.  This must be the climactic charge of the Imperial Guard?

1:39:  The Allies are in a long and mighty seeming infantry line.  The extended line beloved of WDS games.  

2:12:  The French infantry advance.  The British open fire at what seems like quite a long range for the Brown Bess they are equipped with. 

2:25:  Whoah. Napoleon, accompanied by his Imperial General Staff and Marshall Ney, draws sword to personally lead his men!  The French infantry cheer and break into a run.

2:32:  The British break ranks into their own bayonet charge.  The two hordes clash in a massive melee.  Wellington orders the Allied cavalry to join in.

3:07:  The Emperor, shaking off his illness, shows his mad skills, personally cutting down at least two men.  Clearly, his plan is to cut his way to the Iron Duke, knowing that if he engages Wellington in personal combat, both armies will stop fighting and form a circle to watch.

3:41:  Blucher arrives, the wide angle showing off the extensive chevaux de frise and redoubts which Wellington had used to fortify the ridge at Mont St. Jean.  

4:00:  A greencoat from the famed 95th Rifles puts a ball through Napoleon's hat!  Props to whomever can CGI Sean Beans' face onto this guy.

4:18:  The damage to his hat seems to have broken Napoleon's morale, as he flees headlong.  I think it likelier he could no longer bear to watch a battle that had devolved into a mass of men fist fighting on the ground.  "C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la guerre. c'est de la folie!"

4:58:  Napoleon takes time to raise his sword in salute to Wellington.  The Emperor is no sore loser.

I have not seen the whole movie, but watching this clip left me shaken.  It seemed like a fevered dream, clashing with all that I knew about this famous battle.
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2024, 05:13 AM,
RE: Ridley Scott Napoleon Movie - Depiction of Waterloo
(01-17-2024, 08:44 AM)Elxaime Wrote: Just for fun, I thought I'd deconstruct the Battle of Waterloo scene.  I learned some amazing things I did not know before.  Clip is here: Battle Of Waterloo Scene | NAPOLEON (2023) Joaquin Phoenix, Movie CLIP HD (youtube.com)

SPOILER ALERT

0:06:  Napoleon looks tired here, wearily putting on his famous hat.  Seems right.  By 1815, Napoleon was in the twilight of his career and reportedly suffering from various ailments during this campaign. 

0:45:  French Cuirassiers circling a British (or KGL?) infantry square.  Looks great.  This must be the period of the battle where Ney was launching his mass, albeit unsupported, cavalry charges at the Allied center.  Props to anyone who can identify the British regiment from its colors.

1:30:  The French cavalry returning defeated.  Napoleon personally rallies his men, showing his fearlessness by standing in front of the ranks of weapons pointed at the enemy.  This must be the climactic charge of the Imperial Guard?

1:39:  The Allies are in a long and mighty seeming infantry line.  The extended line beloved of WDS games.  

2:12:  The French infantry advance.  The British open fire at what seems like quite a long range for the Brown Bess they are equipped with. 

2:25:  Whoah. Napoleon, accompanied by his Imperial General Staff and Marshall Ney, draws sword to personally lead his men!  The French infantry cheer and break into a run.

2:32:  The British break ranks into their own bayonet charge.  The two hordes clash in a massive melee.  Wellington orders the Allied cavalry to join in.

3:07:  The Emperor, shaking off his illness, shows his mad skills, personally cutting down at least two men.  Clearly, his plan is to cut his way to the Iron Duke, knowing that if he engages Wellington in personal combat, both armies will stop fighting and form a circle to watch.

3:41:  Blucher arrives, the wide angle showing off the extensive chevaux de frise and redoubts which Wellington had used to fortify the ridge at Mont St. Jean.  

4:00:  A greencoat from the famed 95th Rifles puts a ball through Napoleon's hat!  Props to whomever can CGI Sean Beans' face onto this guy.

4:18:  The damage to his hat seems to have broken Napoleon's morale, as he flees headlong.  I think it likelier he could no longer bear to watch a battle that had devolved into a mass of men fist fighting on the ground.  "C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la guerre. c'est de la folie!"

4:58:  Napoleon takes time to raise his sword in salute to Wellington.  The Emperor is no sore loser.

I have not seen the whole movie, but watching this clip left me shaken.  It seemed like a fevered dream, clashing with all that I knew about this famous battle.

Hilarious film from start to finish, might win the award for the best comedy at the next Oscars?   LMAO

If you look at the comments for the various clips on YouTube anyone pointing out how stupid this film is gets shouted down by the people who only go to the cinema to be entertained and not informed, so we just have to accept that this is Hollywood's version of history and NOT a documentary.  Soap Box

Pity, I think it is possible to both inform and entertain, but Ridley Scott does not agree.  Whistle
01-18-2024, 08:53 AM,
Alas, I haven't seen it yet, thinking I already knew what happened. Apparently not.  Big Grin
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-19-2024, 12:30 AM,
Even if they had attempted to do a "real" movie on this subject.....how exactly could one put it into a single movie?  I mean come on, Band of Brothers covers 11 months of combat and spans 10 hours, you're going to put Napoleon's roughly 20 years in 3 hours?   Crazy
01-20-2024, 12:24 AM,
Have to remember, some film people put this together. So, how accurate is any film? I'm sure there is plenty of embellishment. Even some documentaries have their own like talking about the fall of France in 1940, but, showing clips of Sherman tanks in Normandy, 1944. Have to take everything with a grain of salt. Most important, it just has to be entertaining for you.
01-23-2024, 04:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2024, 05:21 AM by Dion.)
Considering the fact that I will probably end up having to pay an inflated price when I could be at home doing better things, I really don't have much desire to go to the movies any more.

In fact as far as I'm concerned, the best thing about the movies is that there are no commercials, sometimes the movie is good, sometimes the movie ain't so good. Most of the time the movie ain't so good.

Even considering how good an actor Joaquin Phoenix is, I probably won't be seeing this one. I just don't feel like paying an inflated price anymore.
01-23-2024, 11:21 PM,
The best thing about the movies is eventually, it will be on tv and there is no beating a bucket of movie theater popcorn with extra butter!
01-25-2024, 02:22 AM,
I rented the movie, and was very disappointed. Both the battle of Austerlitz and Waterloo were seriously inaccurate. I don't know why I expected any different, though - it was just a movie, not a documentary, and the battle scenes were stunning visually (accuracy be d*****d!)
Actually, with a few days passing, I'm less down on it than I was initially. I'd suggest waiting until the price drops a bit to rent it, curling up on the sofa with a huge bag of popcorn and your favorite beverage, and enjoy the flick as an alternate history story with lots of pretty costumes and scenery.
02-24-2024, 02:01 AM,
(01-17-2024, 08:44 AM)Elxaime Wrote: Just for fun, I thought I'd deconstruct the Battle of Waterloo scene.  I learned some amazing things I did not know before.  Clip is here: Battle Of Waterloo Scene | NAPOLEON (2023) Joaquin Phoenix, Movie CLIP HD (youtube.com)

SPOILER ALERT

You mean Josephine the Movie ?
02-25-2024, 02:49 PM,
[quote pid="454396" dateline="1708704069"]
You mean Josephine the Movie ?
[/quote]

If she did - then she has a little bit of explaining to do on some of the sound effects.  It was positively similar to Monty Python's smacking two coconut shells together territory. Big Laugh
Bydand
Send this user an email