• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fog of war anyone? Poll
01-16-2024, 03:07 PM,
Fog of war anyone? Poll
I'm new to TOC games, I've only played 3 games not against the AI and only from the FWWC series. In fact, this is basically the only online/computer gaming of this kind I've ever done.

I love the experience of fog of war, you know, sending out the cavalry, trying to predict what my opponent might be up to, the excitement of committing the troops to some plan in the face of the unknown, etc. Of course this is all made easier with computers as opposed to the good old days of players being in the same room seeing the same map. 

Anyway, the thought occurred to me, while I may have checked the FOW box, did my opponent?

The poll -

1. Do you prefer FOW on or off?
2. Do you talk about this with your opponent(s) before starting a game or is it just assumed?
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2024, 04:21 PM,
RE: Fog of war anyone? Poll
(01-16-2024, 03:07 PM)Almskaar Wrote: I'm new to TOC games, I've only played 3 games not against the AI and only from the FWWC series. In fact, this is basically the only online/computer gaming of this kind I've ever done.

I love the experience of fog of war, you know, sending out the cavalry, trying to predict what my opponent might be up to, the excitement of committing the troops to some plan in the face of the unknown, etc. Of course this is all made easier with computers as opposed to the good old days of players being in the same room seeing the same map. 

Anyway, the thought occurred to me, while I may have checked the FOW box, did my opponent?

The poll -

2. Do you talk about this with your opponent(s) before starting a game or is it just assumed?

I have never played a game without fog of war, so I guess that it is assumed and preferred.

As for checking the box for FoW, only one player starts the game, and they are the one who checks the box, so you're both equally in the dark.
01-16-2024, 09:48 PM,
Fog of War is non negotiable for me for exactly the reasons you stated.
"I may not agree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it"
01-16-2024, 10:29 PM,
(01-16-2024, 03:07 PM)Almskaar Wrote: I'm new to TOC games, I've only played 3 games not against the AI and only from the FWWC series. In fact, this is basically the only online/computer gaming of this kind I've ever done.

The poll -

yes i like the fow.
01-16-2024, 11:19 PM,
FOW box is checked by the person who starts the game. It is much more realistic and makes the games way better.
01-17-2024, 12:57 AM,
Always with FoW...
Quote:Me and General McAulliffe decided to move I Company up on the line. That is, if you agree.
- SGT Kinnie to PFC Holley, Battleground, 1949
01-17-2024, 04:21 AM,
FOW will be assumed by your opponent, as will file encryption via a password. 

The password is not really to stop cheating, it is more to prevent you (or your opponent) opening the wrong file and mistakenly viewing your opponents units.   Wink
01-17-2024, 04:59 AM,
a_Arrow  RE: Fog of war anyone? Poll
I use FOW "on", all the time.  The only time you may not want to use it is in a "training game" with someone brand new to the series, who is getting coached/mentored by another person.  That way your coach can see what you are seeing.

I too, am a huge fan of the File Encryption option. As was stated earlier, it will prevent you or your opponent from opening the wrong turn by mistake which could very easily ruin your PBEM game that you already invested a ton of time into.

I can not recall how many times that feature has saved a game of mine, but over the years, it is alot.

Also, if your opponent sets up a game and sends you the first turn without it activated, you can activate it yourself.
01-17-2024, 10:14 AM,
My 2 Cents  RE: Fog of war anyone? Poll
Helmet Smile  Hello Gamers !

I never had those early cyber games of the 90s that you
could play vs. the 'system'
( V for Victory series, early Operation Crusader by AH ,
the Battleground Series, etc .. and more )

So more me FOW (Fog of War) always was the way that
H-to-H was and is - played.

Otherwise - I agree with the many others that full view
is good for training and practice.

My short term memory is so lousy now that even a solo
"HotSeat" game back and forth despite FOW - is scary !   Crazy

Tom S
01-17-2024, 01:08 PM,
(01-16-2024, 04:21 PM)Liebchen Wrote: I have never played a game without fog of war, so I guess that it is assumed and preferred.

As for checking the box for FoW, only one player starts the game, and they are the one who checks the box, so you're both equally in the dark.

Thanks for the clarification about checking the box, I had a suspicion that was the case. Even as 2nd player I've had that widow pop up, but I guess when I open the game file what the 1st player did takes effect.