• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question on Napoleonic Rules for Firing
12-18-2023, 11:57 PM,
Question on Napoleonic Rules for Firing
Hi -

I don't play Napoleonics often so am not an expert.  But I noticed something strange when I booted the Leipzig game up recently, under the 4.07.2 update.  I was playing the small 10-turn Wachau assault scenario solo, default optionals, and had clicked on a Russian artillery unit of 12 guns to fire on some nearby French.  The unit was in a single hex, with two components, an 8-gun unit and a 4-gun unit, the 8-gun on top.  The 8-gun fired fine, but when I went to fire the 4-gun, I got a message saying that "no part of unit is in front."  I wasn't allowed to shift the position of units top-bottom either.

I assume this is part of some update in the rules limiting how many guns can fire out of a hexside?  If so, it seems strange in many of the scenarios, the guns are overstacked and not all can fire, which seems a weird deployment now since logically wouldn't the Russians have just put the 8-guns there and the 4-guns off to the rear since they do nothing now.  I tried shifting the facing of the 4-guns, but still get the "no part of the unit is in front' message, so it seems like there is a hard limit for firing out of a hex.

Welcome any thoughts.

J.
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2023, 01:12 AM,
RE: Question on Napoleonic Rules for Firing
Never mind! I see the answer in the rules. The 4-gun unit is "masked."
Quote this message in a reply