• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New guy looking for some help
08-23-2023, 07:39 AM,
New guy looking for some help
Hello all

So, I've been looking around the JTCS and WDS Panzer Battles deciding which title to jump head first into.

I don't have a lot of WW2 gaming experience past Panzer Corps 2, OoB series and Battle Academy.

I'm assuming the main difference between JTSC and the WDS Panzer battles games is what each unit represents? JTSC is 1 stand =  a platoon of men or tanks where the WDS PB is 1 stand = squad or 1 tank?

Are there any other fundamental differences?  

Also, are there any decent video tutorials out there for either games? I've looked on youtube, but nothing really popped out.

Appreciate any advice.
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2023, 10:26 AM,
RE: New guy looking for some help
Hello acctingman1969,

Welcome to the Campaign Series on The Blitz Wargaming Club!

John Tiller's Campaign Series (JTCS) deals with strength points in units whereas Panzer Battles (PzB) deals with individual man losses for infantry. Each strength point in JTCS represents about 7-10 men for infantry types. Each strength point of guns and vehicles in JTCS represents 1 gun or 1 vehicle same in PzB.

Both games are kind of on the platoon level but I find PzB platoons a little over inflated and more toward the company level. I find JTCS a better fit for that platoon scale.

Both systems have daylight and night time combat but PzB doesn't have flares whereas JTCS does.

Both sides have smoke laying capability and airstrikes.

Both games have weather effects but I find JTCS much more developed.

In PzB you have the choice of Kursk, 1943, Normandy 1944, North Africa 1941 and a demo.

In JTCS you have a choice of any theatre you want to play! Including the East Front 1939 through 1945. The West Front (including the desert) 1936 through 1945 and Rising Sun (the Pacific Theatre) 1938 through 1945.

JTCS has editors map. organization and scenario to make any engagement possible. PzB does not have a map editor where one can make maps from scratch!

JTCS also has a random battle generator for all three sub games East Front, West Front and Rising Sun.

JTCS also has 2 newer games based on the same game engine but vastly improved! They are Campaign Series Middle East and Campaign Series Vietnam! 

Also here at The Blitz is probably the most extensive data base for scenarios for both games I have ever seen!

IMHO I like both games but I find the Campaign Series games much more enjoyable for my taste. However I have been playing JTCS much longer than PzB.

Hope this helps!! Wink

Big Ivan Cigar5
08-25-2023, 02:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2023, 02:55 AM by Scud.)
RE: New guy looking for some help
Hi acctingman1969, welcome to the Blitz,

I only play JTCS, but one thing to mention is the number of active players playing play-by-email (PBEM) games and registering game results here at the Blitz. This year's 2023 ladder has 46 active JTCS gamers as opposed to only 8 playing Panzer Blitz. That doesn't include CS Vietnam. There'd be even more games registered if I got off my butt and started a tournament, but I'm old and tired. Big Grin  Anyway, f you like playing against human opponents, something to be aware of.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email