• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Motorized: Mounted vs On Foot ?
07-20-2023, 03:36 AM,
Motorized: Mounted vs On Foot ?
I see some motorized units have the option to go on foot.  When I read the manual I got the impression the advantage was that it allowed the unit to traverse certain terrain like streams and marshes that it could not pass while mounted with the trade off being that foot transport is slower overall than motorized transport.  

Aside from that, is there any other advantage or disadvantage to being on foot? 

I would think in combat terms, on foot would be more effective than still being in trucks or personnel carriers , but not sure if the game is abstracting that distinction or not.

-Mark
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2023, 05:09 AM,
RE: Motorized: Mounted vs On Foot ?
I think you have summed up the advantages/disadvantages very well, the only other factor that I can think of is if infantry in hard halftracks (i.e. a hard target) dismount, then they can be targeted by soft firepower values.

The fact that in these games there are hard halftracks and soft halftrack units is not always well understood.
07-20-2023, 06:01 AM,
(07-20-2023, 05:09 AM)IMr Grumpy Wrote: I think you have summed up the advantages/disadvantages very well, the only other factor that I can think of is if infantry in hard halftracks (i.e. a hard target) dismount, then they can be targeted by soft firepower values.

The fact that in these games there are hard halftracks and soft halftrack units is not always well understood.

Oh I wasn't aware of both soft and hard halftracks... How can you tell?  Is that something that is set by the scenario designer/OOB?

-Mark
07-20-2023, 08:31 AM,
Hard vs soft HTs is noted in the unit details, on its back side, I believe. It is defined by the oob settings.

To your original question, there is a nuance missing in the discussion so far. Motorized infantry units can be in:

Travel mode - mounted in their vehicle carriers whether trucks, hard or soft has, bicycles, etc. This maximizes movement but at the cost of lowered defense to fire. Although in some battles HTs may be invulnerable to some defending unit's fire if they don't have a range 1 or higher hard attack.

Deployed or dismounted?- the infantry is on foot, with their transport. Movement is lowered but defense set to the generally higher pdt default along with no T mode penalty.

On foot is the same as deployed but the transport is gone allowing movement that only foot infantry can enter. Transport is gone until the unit stacks with its HQ. So that is the negative of on foot.
[Image: exercise.png]
07-21-2023, 02:05 AM,
(07-20-2023, 05:09 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: I think you have summed up the advantages/disadvantages very well, the only other factor that I can think of is if infantry in hard halftracks (i.e. a hard target) dismount, then they can be targeted by soft firepower values.

AFAIK, troops with hard halftracks only gain that armor benefit when they are in T-mode. When they're deployed, they're just infantry.