• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Armour in Woods or Towns
07-13-2023, 01:12 PM,
Armour in Woods or Towns
Is there any disadvantage for AFVs to be in this heavy terrain?
Do the AFVs gain the full defensive bonus?
And is there any debuff to their attack?

Similarly what about Artillery.
Is it best to place them in Woods/Towns or in the open?

I am playing France40 at present.
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2023, 02:45 PM,
RE: Armour in Woods or Towns
(07-13-2023, 01:12 PM)Sean Wrote: Is there any disadvantage for AFVs to be in this heavy terrain?

Vehicles and guns gain defensive bonuses for terrain, just like infantry does.

The only exception to this I can think of is that vehicles do not benefit from hard points like bunkers.

Well, that and the rule about being in T-mode in restricted terrain.
07-13-2023, 05:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-13-2023, 05:01 PM by Sean.)
Thank you very much for your speedy response so far.

What does "T-mode in restricted terrain" mean?
07-13-2023, 09:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-13-2023, 09:29 PM by Steel God.)
Armor and Vehicles generally are penalized when attacking INTO non-clear terrain (50%) if not supported by sufficient amount of accompanying infantry.  They must have 10 infantry for each vehicle, and they total infantry must outnumber the defending infantry to avoid the penalty.  If they're not all from the same organization there's a separate penalty as well.

In regards to artillery fire, since your artillery shouldn't be exposed to too much fire (if they are you need to move them) terrain shouldn't matter too often.  If a unit is on the attack, setting up and moving are probably the higher priority, so clear terrain rules.  Defensively, especially if you intend to make a stand of any length, find terrain of defensive value to aid against inevitable counter-battery.
07-14-2023, 04:48 AM,
T mode means "Travel Mode", while a unit is in T mode it is very vulnerable as it receives no benefit from the terrain in the hex it occupies if it is attacked.
07-14-2023, 11:37 AM,
(07-13-2023, 09:24 PM)Steel God Wrote: Armor and Vehicles generally are penalized when attacking INTO non-clear terrain (50%) if not supported by sufficient amount of accompanying infantry.  They must have 10 infantry for each vehicle, and they total infantry must outnumber the defending infantry to avoid the penalty.  If they're not all from the same organization there's a separate penalty as well.

In regards to artillery fire, since your artillery shouldn't be exposed to too much fire (if they are you need to move them) terrain shouldn't matter too often.  If a unit is on the attack, setting up and moving are probably the higher priority, so clear terrain rules.  Defensively, especially if you intend to make a stand of any length, find terrain of defensive value to aid against inevitable counter-battery.

"Armor and Vehicles generally are penalized when attacking INTO non-clear terrain (50%)" is this for Direct Fire or only for Assaults ,or both?
07-14-2023, 06:42 PM,
(07-13-2023, 01:12 PM)Sean Wrote: Is there any disadvantage for AFVs to be in this heavy terrain?

One problem in F 40 armor is vehicle losses due to breakdowns. If you can move the armor into a town/village/protected hex in T-mode on a road and then deploy there is no problem with vehicle beakdown. But otherwise; if you move armor into a woods hex and use FULL MOVEMENT you are probably going to lose at least 1 vehicle. Seems like every time you move a French vehicle overland you're going to lose one. However, French armor entrenched in woods is an immoveable object.
07-15-2023, 01:00 AM,
(07-14-2023, 11:37 AM)Sean Wrote:
(07-13-2023, 09:24 PM)Steel God Wrote: Armor and Vehicles generally are penalized when attacking INTO non-clear terrain (50%) if not supported by sufficient amount of accompanying infantry.  They must have 10 infantry for each vehicle, and they total infantry must outnumber the defending infantry to avoid the penalty.  If they're not all from the same organization there's a separate penalty as well.

"Armor and Vehicles generally are penalized when attacking INTO non-clear terrain (50%)" is this for Direct Fire or only for Assaults ,or both?

Sorry, that is for assaults only.  Direct fire is not penalized by the unsupported rule.
07-15-2023, 11:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2023, 11:19 AM by Sean.)
You’re a gentleman and a scholar.
Thank you very much.
I did notice Armour alone was really weak Assaulting Towns ,and I sorta changing my tactic -NOW my Armour will roll up and stop in hex next to Town and then I will pound the Town until the enemy was weakened ,sometimes the enemy just retreated-otherwise I waited for my infantry to move up and assault the Town -this rarely fails.

I played my last game with some of the earlier responses in mind and I seemed have a much better result. It might of been random luck ,I decimated the enemy.
07-15-2023, 11:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2023, 11:25 AM by Sean.)
(07-14-2023, 06:42 PM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:

One problem in F 40 armor is vehicle losses due to breakdowns. If you can move the armor into a town/village/protected hex in T-mode on a road and then deploy there is no problem with vehicle beakdown. But otherwise; if you move armor into a woods hex and use FULL MOVEMENT you are probably going to lose at least 1 vehicle. Seems like every time you move a French vehicle overland you're going to lose one. However, French armor entrenched in woods is an immoveable object.
I have not noticed this yet.
Only had game for not quite 2 weeks.
It is a problem I noticed a lot in the Squad Battles Series though -I changed Armour Breakdown paramater data there to like 10000 or 20000 to partly solve issue there, AFVs broke down just driving along a normal road. I will look out for it in Panzer Campaigns ,there must be a similar Paramater Data line I can change if I think it is a problem . I like changing the Parameter Data ,I do it a lot.

I did notice the French Tank's resilience in my last game ,had an enemy Char 1B Unit in a Woods/Improved position ,I had to completely destroy them ,they would not retreat from fire or assault it seemed. Finally got them -I think after a round of auto AI fire I do at the end of my turns .I was surprised to see an empty hex where they were. They fought to the last Char 1B.