• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Game crashing in Rising Sun
05-30-2023, 01:34 PM,
Game crashing in Rising Sun
In my first experience of this ever happening I was wondering if it happened to anyone else - on trying to run Surprise at Kalidjati in Rising Sun the game just crashes. It literally just shuts down. Has anyone seen this before? Any fixes?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2023, 03:20 AM,
RE: Game crashing in Rising Sun
(05-30-2023, 01:34 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: In my first experience of this ever happening I was wondering if it happened to anyone else - on trying to run Surprise at Kalidjati in Rising Sun the game just crashes. It literally just shuts down. Has anyone seen this before? Any fixes?

Hi Ash,

I can confirm this. You could try reaching out to one of the guys who have played it before to see if the files they have still work. Something obviously corrupted. Someone who designs scenarios like Big Ivan, Warhorse or Jason Petho might know how to fix it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
05-31-2023, 03:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2023, 03:42 AM by Big Ivan.)

.zip   Kalidjati1.zip (Size: 16.58 KB / Downloads: 3) Hi Ash,

Try this. I was just playing the scenario this morning as the Japanese against the A/I. It seemed to play OK for 3 turns. Like Dave says you have a corrupted file somewhere. All 4 files are there, the bmp, map, org and scn files.

Let me know if this works.

Regards,
John
05-31-2023, 04:24 AM,
(05-31-2023, 03:41 AM)Big Ivan Wrote: Hi Ash,

Try this. I was just playing the scenario this morning as the Japanese against the A/I. It seemed to play OK for 3 turns. Like Dave says you have a corrupted file somewhere. All 4 files are there, the bmp, map, org and scn files.

Let me know if this works.

Regards,
John

Nope, still bombs. Now that's interesting.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
05-31-2023, 05:06 AM,
Really that is weird! I'm on turn 6 now against the A/I and it's working fine.

Something else is going on here. 

Also I seem to remember that Rising Sun is the most finicky of the 3 games. There are known bugs like caves for instance.

Try opening all 3 files in the editors and see which one is broken.
05-31-2023, 06:54 AM,
(05-31-2023, 05:06 AM)Big Ivan Wrote: Really that is weird! I'm on turn 6 now against the A/I and it's working fine.

Something else is going on here. 

Also I seem to remember that Rising Sun is the most finicky of the 3 games. There are known bugs like caves for instance.

Try opening all 3 files in the editors and see which one is broken.

I tried that. All open no problem, I even tried rewriting them. Also tried turning off NVIDIA processes and tried a smaller resolution. I'm thinking it has to do with a .bmp. either one that has gone corrupt or is missing.
Send this user an email
05-31-2023, 10:41 AM,
I threw a test scenario together with the map and org file from this scenario. 

Every unit in the org file I put on the board in hex lines.

All units that I have placed on the board have an associated bmp in 2D and 3D. 

Not sure what else to check at this point.
05-31-2023, 10:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-31-2023, 11:00 PM by Big Ivan.)
I went back and checked the org file again. On 7th Company (Japanese) I found unit 3/4 which is a Type 89 50mm Grenade Discharger the only one I saw in the org file. 

Then I checked the game I was playing and low and behold I found 2x Type 89 50mm Grenade Discharger on board.

Looks like one started on the board at (12,14) and then another one came in on Turn 6 at hex (19,19) as a reinforcement but doesn't appear in the org file!

That tells me the scenario was built and then the org file for whatever reason was changed but the scenario was never updated to take out the phantom unit. That is a danger of building a scenario, adding units to it, saving and then going back to change the org file by removing something but not updating the scenario.

I have seen this a few times with Random Battle generation where off board artillery has been placed. If your going to add more units to your Random scenario be careful with artillery because the org file doesn't tell you which artillery units are in off- board status. They still appear in the org file and can be put on board. If that happens you have the phantom phenom being created.

Dave and Ash, I am not sure why it plays on my rig and not yours. Maybe because of divine intervention, but I doubt it. 

You might want to go back and save a new copy of the same scenario calling it something else. Then go into the scenario editor and removing the reinforcements from Turn 6. There are (1) MG Section and (2) Trucks which appear to be legit. You can then add those back in under Turn 6 at (70% probability) as reinforcements. Then go back and see if the newly created  scenario opens w/o Crashing to Desktop (CDT). 

This has been fixed in CS-Vietnam I believe with the newly created "Track ID's" utility and programming which allows one to track each ID of a unit in the scenario editor and when playing a game. It is a handy utility that has been long overdue.

Regards,

John
06-01-2023, 12:50 AM,
Super bizarre that it works for some.
Send this user an email
06-01-2023, 06:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2023, 06:39 AM by Scud.)
(05-31-2023, 10:58 PM)Big Ivan Wrote: You might want to go back and save a new copy of the same scenario calling it something else. Then go into the scenario editor and removing the reinforcements from Turn 6. There are (1) MG Section and (2) Trucks which appear to be legit. You can then add those back in under Turn 6 at (70% probability) as reinforcements. Then go back and see if the newly created  scenario opens w/o Crashing to Desktop (CDT). 

I don't know what I'm doing, but I called up the scenario in the editor, gave it a new name. Then I found the reinforcement delete/modify box and deleted the entry with the trucks/mgs and the grenade discharger. After that, adding them back I couldn't figure out. The add reinforcements just said nothing selected. I tried a few things to add units and gave up.

Opening the game resulted in the same bomb.

Now I have a headache.  Big Grin
Send this user an email