• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wanting opponents please!
03-06-2023, 10:28 AM,
RE: Wanting opponents please!
First of all. My sincere apologies for the created by me mess. With my level of English, I should not have written everything that I wrote in this thread. This post is my attempt to explain what happened.

To everyone who reads (or will read) this post: "If this post is illegible already to you, please check the SHORT VERSION part (somewhere in the middle (close to the middle))."

I was in a hurry when I did that "post" between fights. No doubt I should have been a lot more careful.

I re-read my posts and found many mistakes. I want to correct some (not all) of sentences (constructions of words) from my previous posts.

Here: "If some of my posts sounds rude, be 100% sure they weren't supposed to be that, it is simply due to lack of my experience in writing on English."
I meant following: "This thread is my first experience of communicating in a foreign language. Therefore, some of my posts may sounds rude. I don't want to be rude (and/or bad in any way) on this forum."

Here: "However in reading I'm much better, so feel free to send me messages of any length and any complexity."
I meant following: "However, I can read English well.* So for me, don't make your language more simple (write as you normally do)."

Here: But in overall, troops didn't lose their fighting spirit (I still got at least a couple vehicles) yet and they feel thirst to get revenge for that impudence."
I meant following: "The soldiers (those that under my leadership) after that air strike want to fight even more."

Here: "Cool phrase, in my opinion."
I meant following: "I want to correct to: "A good phrase, in my opinion."
I checked the dictionary and it seems that this word has a deeper meaning than I initially thought.

Here: "Since I have some ideas in my head. I want that you not to write new messages now. Let me do it first."
I, of course, did not mean: “Do not bother me with your messages. I want to think about something."

I apologize to everyone who read (or will read) my previous (or this) posts. I didn't mean to distort English so much. I realized my mistake (how stupid I was). From now on, I am a silent player.

After all these mistakes that I made. My self-confidence level is close to 0%, so let's get back to the fights: "I will crush you in both of our battles, muahahah! You are so naive if you think that you already have an advantage in one (talking about R v B) of the them, lol. Don't rush to celebrate, I still have a couple of aces in my sleeve. In overall, you are doing not bad, better than what I expected from some dude from internet. But rest assured you won't want to play anymore after I've dealt with you."**

I'm already a big fan of a SP part of a CMx2 games. Looks like a MP part is even better. I feel enthusiasm.

LOL. Sentences in this post probably poorly constructed too. And they probably don't have the meaning that I wanted that they have. So I will try to be accurate as I can in following:

SHORT VERSION: Sorry for my bad English. I don't want to disturb you in any possible way. I have no requirements for you.*** I don't want to quit our current games (No way!). Now let's back to our battles!

(*). Now I am reconsidering this statement. Since if someone reads well, he must understand what he wrote. Technical things I understand correctly. Thank you for those posts about tactics and mechanics. But I'm bad in understanding (in my native language too) of communicational (ambiguity, hints, etiquette, sarcasm, etc.) stuff. Therefore, let me ask you that: "Do you can use sentences without stuff (mentioned above) when writing to me?". Because I don't understand sentences like this: "I completely understand, no worries" at this moment, in my native language it has two meanings (about technical things (writing, logic) and about feelings stuff (feelings, lol)), I think in English too. Also, this: "I guess I did misunderstand, but I still should be more careful about ruining your fun." sentence "have not meaning at all" ("sounds like ravings"** or "sounds like nonsense") for me. After re-reading all your latest (3 or 4) posts, I've start to have some doubts.

(**). Let me know IMMEDIATELY in CLEAREST and STRAIGHTEST way, if I need to stop posting stuff like this. I have using this stuff only in competitive (and in a bit humorous) sense.

(***). I don't have requirements but I have a couple of "what I want"s (funny thing: I can't find term in dictionary for this, lol). I will write about them a little later, as I am already a bit tired.

P.S.
I had wrote this mess (this post) a half of the day, so no turns (talk about save files in the games) for today from my side. I'm going to sleep.

P.P.S.
No, I'm not from Latvia, not in Latvia, never was in Latvia and I don't know Latvian. How that damned** Latvia** is "relevant to" ("involved with" or "connected with") overall!**** I had big problems while constructed previous sentence. Looks like there are no right words in English. So let me to leave variant in Translit: "Prichjom zdes' voobsche ehta chjortova Latvija!". Maybe someone who is more smart than me and also knows Russian will correct this sentence someday (Note for this someone. In my variant of Translit I use: "ch" as "ч", "jo" as "ё", "sch" as "щ", "eh" as "э", "ja" as "я". Thank you for translation, дружище.).

(****). Since I think that your sentence about Latvia somehow (through order) connected (as answer, hint, etc.) with my sentence: "Now to the game!". And as now I've start to thinking that only Latvians could understand it or what. Here what I meant there: "For now let's play, we will talk later."

P.P.P.S
Also, I checked out one thread on the Slitherine/Matrix forum yesterday and I have some thoughts about all this PBEM++ stuff, I'll write about it later (this sentence (construction from words) is reminder for myself). Enough, now definitely, I'm going to sleep!

P.P.P.P.S.
I want to check this post again. Probably I could find more mistakes there. I'm sorry, I will not do this, because I really need to sleep.
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2023, 11:12 AM,
Cupressus my friend!

First, I want to make this very clear. You have not offended me in any way; and I have not meant any offence to you.
If I have offended you, please accept my since apology. The fault is mine, I'm sure.

I respect the effort you put into the response. I understood pretty much everything you had said. I find your english to be excellent. It's probably why I'm not as careful as I should be with using 'expressions' that don't have a cultural parallel.

It was I who misunderstood what you had wrote about needing time before posting a new message. What you wrote was clear. The mistake was mine.

As for 'expressions' , an example;
"I understand, no worries!". This might be more of a Canadian way of saying two parts.
"I understand..."- I am expressing both my empathy to a situation but that I might have some personal experience, a "walk a mile in his shoes" angle, and thus can relate.

"...no worries!". This part is a dismissal of trouble. A polite way of saying "we have no issue, everything is good", but most commonly, its a downplay or dismissal of the thanks. If the person felt what they did was not worthy of gratitude.

As for the Latvia question; I didn't ask that in response to anything in particular. I was just thinking you said russian but not in russia. I happened to have done a tour of duty back in 2019 in Latvia, and they had a lot of ethnic russsians who still speak it as their primary language. So in all, my question was one of pure curiosity. Again, I apologize if my own fumbled words offended.

In regards to **. I laughed very hard when I read that! So, what you describe is called, (when friendly)-"Table Talk"; and then (when unfriendly or really competitive friends) Smack Talk". The 'smack' part is that each veiled insult/jest feel like a slap to the face, the indignity.

I often get myself in trouble because online, people can't always tell the difference between Table Talk and Smack Talk.
So when it comes to that, I say- I understand, no worries. You feel free with the Table Talk. Its what friends do.

In no way are you disturbing me. Consider this an open invitation in-perpetuity for you to ask me questions, make comments about the game, or challenges to new games. I leave the frequency up to you.

But yes, by all means, throw everything and the kitchen sink at me! I'm very excited to see what you come up with in both games. You are very correct, the outcome is far from decided.

-Chris
03-06-2023, 09:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2023, 08:17 AM by Cupressus.)
I am almost sure* that you are correctly understand a logic** in the post of mine! Thank you for that!

(*). "Almost" it is because I have not read your previous post accurately enough yet.

(**). "Understand" as word that - I am user - in meaning of about technical things (writing, logic, reading, etc.). I am not a user of this word in meaning of about feels stuff.
03-07-2023, 10:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2023, 12:31 AM by Cupressus.)
I want to - in a second time - make a mention that I am very very bad in understanding of "stuff" (ambiguity, allusions, sarcasm*, etc.), even in my native language, even in offline (real life).

As I am have some doubts about one of your statements. And also because your post (as quality of text, as quality of constructions, etc.) is a junk** (looks like crap**) as for me.** So I want to ask you a only one of mine question. What did you mean here: "So when it comes to that, I say- I understand, no worries. You feel free with the Table Talk. Its what friends do."?

For now, I see two meanings there:

1. "I (Chris) understand, no worries. You (Cupressus) are have feel yourself are too free (with Table Talk). And as is only a friends can to doing it (Table Talk). As we are not a friends, so please do not do it (Table Talk)."

2. "I (Chris) understand your (of Cupressus) jokes, no worries. You can be feel free with a Table Talk. Because we are friends. And a friends doing it (Table Talk)."

I will public my final thoughts on the whole situation after your reply.

(*). I am sure that I am almost always understand a jokes, humor, and Table Talk.

(**). immediately... clearest... straightest...

P.S. (reminder for myself)
Right now my mind gave birth a lot of thoughts about how a "human language stuff" works. Sadly I can't describe it now. I will write about it at someday later.
03-08-2023, 02:28 AM,
2. "I (Chris) understand your (of Cupressus) jokes, no worries. You can be feel free with a Table Talk. Because we are friends. And a friends doing it (Table Talk)."

This is the correct interpretation.

When ever I use the word "stuff", its just a common placeholder word. In some ways, it's like a pronoun for a non-person. Once the context is established, usually something more complex or too long to be worth repeating, it can then be referred back to as stuff. Usually during in-formal conversations.

Ie
" My dog is sick, but I can't handle loosing him, so my wife had to take him tot he vet to be put down. I can't handle all that stuff". In this case, the 'stuff' not only refers to the direct context (the vet and putting the pet down), but an implied meaning of the emotional baggage the speaker doesn't want to have to verbalize. The listener fills it in from 'stuff'. This isn't a hard and fast rule of grammar, its just contextual and common sense.

The stuff could be something physical, emotional, meta-physical, imaginary. Its all just 'stuff'.

Sometimes, instead of 'stuff', they might replace the word with 'shit', again, depending on context, audience and desired emotional effect. Usually if referring to the 'stuff' in a dismissive manor.

Another thing you'll find with us native english speakers (and americans), is that we are so used to the language, we stop noticing our own mistakes. No one makes more spelling and grammar errors in english than a native english speaker (and americans).

-Chris
03-09-2023, 01:48 AM,
Chris my friend!

Thank you* for - such a good** - your reaction*** to this entire situation of me****!

I am sure, you understood a logic in the post of mine correctly.

And also I am sure that I correctly understand a logic in the post of you.

Disturb and offend it is not a part of our wishes.

We***** want to have fun from a games, as well as have fun from a jokes.

(*). I am not a user of these words in meaning as the stuff (allusions, etiquette, politeness, good manners, etc.). I am always sincere when I using words like these.

(**). "Such a good" in meaning as: "so good, so kind, so (I am almost sure it is natural (as result of one of aspects of evolution) for almost all human beings) right."

(***). "Reaction" in meaning as: "your post, words in your post, logic in your post, meanings in your post."

(****). I am sure that the main delinquent****** - in all the mess - is I am myself.

(*****). "We" as: "Chris and Cupressus" and as "all of us".

(******). I am sure almost all of us (as persons) are delinquents******* in a mess of the our humanity.

(*******). "Delinquent" as "(typically of a young person or that person's behavior) showing or characterized by a tendency to commit crime, particularly minor crime".

P.S.
I also want to note that from now on, I won't to edit a posts of mine - except it is a first couple minutes - after publication.
03-10-2023, 06:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 06:31 AM by Cupressus.)
My couple of "what I want"s (lol, even now I can not to find a right term for that; 'wish' and 'desire' are about feels, not my sense; 'require' after translation sounds is too rude, I am not sure) that I mentioned above in my big one (never thought that I am capable to write something so long and sincere, even on my native language, lol):

1. I am want that you will makes a notes before you quit from battles to real life for some needs for more then 4 days.

2. I am want that you do not '* (can not find right term in English, my sense is by reference)' to me.

(*). "Poddavat'sja (on Translit)" it is "intentionally lose in competition; performed usually when compete against child or against someone who is really bad in competition; performed by more experienced competitor with reason do not to upset other competitor".

(**). immedi... clea... strai...

P.S.
"After all this my talks - about: mistakes, meanings, feelies, understandings, etc. - you are probably already think that I am 'soft **nt (with perfectly clear british accent, please)'. But I am not, so do not '*' to me."**

My #2 is very important for me. If you see that you already is can to win, doing it. After, tell me where my mistakes (^W)*** errors and then ask about one more fight, if you want. For me final result (who win) not so important. High quality of process (game, fight, competition) it is that what important for me. I am logically understand that you think about current battles as examination and teaching of me, and you already did something like that (or probably you are really is so bad; a couple so stupid moves, lol)**.**** If we will have 'gloves off' fights at someday in a future. DO NOT '*' TO ME!

(***). "(^W)" it is "delete last word".

(****). Be careful it is long and complex sentence, I am probably made many mistakes (^W) errors there.

P.P.S
As I am do not know almost nothing about rules of English as well as about rules of other human languages. Therefore now (past 3 posts and this one) I am started to think about English as a programming language. And I am started using this thought. I am simply write text as programming code now. Now it is much more simpler. Let me know if my posts is more understandable now.

P.P.P.S.
My mind gave birth so many stupid jokes. I want to tell them out very much. If you laughed out from previous ones, from the next ones - I guess - you will **ssing in.
03-10-2023, 06:55 AM,
Right now I found better words.
'*' it is "when competitor intentionally lowering abilities of himself (plays worse than at usual)".
03-10-2023, 10:04 AM,
(03-09-2023, 01:48 AM)Cupressus Wrote: >>Thank you* for - such a good** - your reaction*** to this entire situation of me****!

I'm glad we are understanding each other better.

>(*). I am not a user of these words in meaning as the stuff (allusions, etiquette, politeness, good manners, etc.). I >am always sincere when I using words like these.

Good to know. I'll try and be the same.

>(*******). "Delinquent" as "(typically of a young person or that person's behaviour) showing or characterized by a >tendency to commit crime, particularly minor crime".

Delinquent may be to harsh of a term. It usually implies some sort of malice or disdain for authority.
A more colloquial term is 'goofballs', expanded to "goofing around". It implies we are just being intentionally silly or light hearted.
03-10-2023, 10:40 AM,
(03-10-2023, 06:18 AM)Cupressus Wrote: >My couple of "what I want"s (lol, even now I can not to find a right term for that; 'wish' and 'desire' are about feels, >not my sense; 'require' after translation sounds is too rude, I am not sure) that I mentioned above in my big one

Understood. You can phrase that a couple of ways. I'll demo as if I was asking you the same thing.
"Hey Chris, Can you do me a favour and..."
"Chris, I'd like to make a request that..."
" Everything is great, but I just wanted to be clear that..."

All the above mean more or less the same thing. They are also reasonably polite- not that that is a requirement.

>(never thought that I am capable to write something so long and sincere, even on my native language, lol):

You're doing great. Keep it up.

>1. I am want that you will makes a notes before you quit from battles to real life for some needs for more then 4 >days.

No worries. Unless article 5 gets invoked, I don't plan on going anywhere till next year. There's some stuff happening in the China Sea that needs looking into. I'll keep you informed if I can't do my turns.

>2. I am want that you do not '* (can not find right term in English, my sense is by reference)' to me.
>(*). "Poddavat'sja (on Translit)" it is "intentionally lose in competition; performed usually when compete against child >or against someone who is really bad in competition; performed by more experienced competitor with reason do not >to upset other competitor".

So in English, that would be best expressed as "letting you win". The expression describes everything Poddavat'sia means.  An example;
" Oh come on, I want a fair fight, don't just let me win!" The emphasis is on the 'let'.

But I understand what you are requesting. For clarity, I was treating these as "training" games, so you can get used to the mechanics of the program and some familiarity with the military content. In the military, you learn to do a practice round, so that when you need to do it for real, you can bring your A-game [your very best effort].

I assure you I'm not letting you win. For sure, I haven't used every trick up my sleeve, but this is as I said above- I want you at your best for the next game. If I win, I want it to be because my tactics were better, and not just because you were unfamiliar with how parts of the game work.

As is, I think you have a very good chance of winning the R vs B match.
As for the B vs R match, well, we'll just have to wait and see on that one Big Grin

>"After all this my talks - about: mistakes, meanings, feelies, understandings, etc. - you are probably already think >that I am 'soft **nt (with perfectly clear british accent, please)'. But I am not, so do not '*' to me."**

I'm professional military. I do a lot of instructing (training of others). This requires that I also be able to sum up (judge, determine, investigate) the personality and quality of people.

I don't for a second think you are soft or weak. Soft or weak people don't put this much effort into learning and understanding.

Now if you mean, "inexperienced", that I assume you are with regards to CMCW and perhaps 1980's era military tactics. This is the area I was looking to give you (more) experience. After these two battles, I think you'll be more than ready for a more brutal game.

>My #2 is very important for me. If you see that you already is can to win, doing it. After, tell me where my mistakes >(^W)*** errors and then ask about one more fight, if you want. For me final result (who win) not so important. >High quality of process (game, fight, competition) it is that what important for me. I am logically understand that >you think about current battles as examination and teaching of me, and you already did something like that (or p>robably you are really is so bad; a couple so stupid moves, lol)**.**** If we will have 'gloves off' fights at someday i>n a future. DO NOT '*' TO ME!

You have my word, from this turn on, I will try my best. But should you have any questions, I'll still answer them in full. It wasn't so much that I was making intentional mistakes, but more that I wasn't taking as much detail in my plans and manoeuvres. More slap-dash than intentional.

>My mind gave birth so many stupid jokes. I want to tell them out very much. If you laughed out from previous ones, >from the next ones - I guess - you will **ssing in.

Lay them on me!  (I am receptive to hearing them when you are ready).