• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wanting opponents please!
03-01-2023, 01:45 AM,
RE: Wanting opponents please!
Finished the second turn in both fights.

Request of advice about tactics: some platoons under my management are Regulars with Normal morale, some platoons are Veterans with a bit higher morale. How do you think which variant is better?
1. Using regulars as first contact forces, keeping veterans in reserve.
2. Vice versa.

P.S.
The requested advice is for my future battles (I'm planning to stay here (the blitz club) for a long time) as I've already decided in the current ones. Vets going first  Helmet Smile

P.P.S.
Writing on English is pretty difficult for me, so don't expect high count or fine quality of messages from my side, sorry for that. If some of my posts sounds rude, be 100% sure they weren't supposed to be that, it is simply due to lack of my experience in writing on English. However in reading (writing and reading on a foreign language are completely different skills) I'm much better, so feel free to send me messages of any length and any complexity. Also, feel free to give advices, ask questions, criticize and correct me in any aspect (game, communication, etc.) of our activity, I'm totally fine with that.
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2023, 02:59 AM,
I will typically set all my troops to Regular/Fit/Motivated/+0

I will increase the experience level of specialty troops, such as ATGM, MGs, Scouts, etc. This helps not only with accurate but with their spotting and other hidden skills/effects.

If I have the points, I'll always try to push my Tanks up to at least veteran.

If I still have points, I'll upgrade an entire platoon to Veteran, and they will typically become my reserve troops. I'll hold them back, then send them to where ever I need them. Could to exploit a breakthrough or to shore up defence. The problem with using Veteran troops as your first line, is that while those troops will have a better chance to fight their way out of trouble they die just as easy as a regular troop. Obviously, being Vet or above doesn't give extra bullet/explosion resistance, and chances are, the enemy will be waiting for that first bloody exchange.

Of course, if you look at the map and have a great idea for an attack/defence, they by all means, send a small unit of Crack troops as shocktroopers.

As for your English; I understand you completely, I see no problems there. As for rude, lol, don't worry about it. I'm a big boy and understands that sometimes direct speech is a requirement. Either way, I think we're going to be fine.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your native tongue?

-Chris
03-01-2023, 08:38 AM,
So I wrote a long diatribe on the difference/tactics comparing Nato vs Soviet Troops. APC/IFV, Air power and AntiAir.

Then my cat stepped on the keyboard and I lost the page.

I'll do the short version:

Nato troops are slightly better than Soviet troops. The dragon over the RPG wins out for me.

Nato air power is expensive, so don't expect it too much in a Tiny or Small game.
Soviet air power can be really cheap; well within budgets for Tiny or Small games.
Be warned; if you get too close to your own air power, they will tear you apart. Also, if they can't find easy enemy targets, they'll start creeping their sights towards your troops.

Because of the Soviet air risk, I recommend taking Pivads (gattling gun on an m113 chassis) even in Tiny and Small. Plus, both the NATO pivads and the Soviet Shilka are excellent long range suppression platforms.

If you are not taking air power/arty, be sure to remove built in Spotter units. An American Inf Coy has one in each platoon, and another with the company HQ. They cost around 100 each, but don't have much direct firepower.

Can't remember the rest. I'm sure it will come back to me

-Chris
03-02-2023, 01:58 AM,
To pre-previous post:

Thanks for such a detailed answer.

I'm glad that we discussed this, now I feel more relaxed.

My native language is Russian. But I'm not from Russia. I also want to note that I categorically disagree with the latest (well known) political decisions of the Russian authorities.

To previous post:

Oh, those cats. I have a cat too.

Very interesting info, thank you.
03-02-2023, 04:24 AM,
No worries Cupressus, I have nothing against someone who is Russian. While I certainly am against the acts of criminals who have taken control of a country and culture, I don't hold individuals accountable for such actions (unless I know they personally participated or encouraged). Just like I don't punch every German in the face just because their forefathers might have been Nazis party members.

Now, back to the game.

You are doing excellent. You are using cover, staying out of roads, covering them with ATGMs. Yes, I've just been watching your troops move around because I wanted to see how you were doing.

I'm glad to say that I'm satisfied you are ready. Of course, this means I'm going to open fire now ;-)

Oh, and a reminder: Using your engineers/breach teams like that is excellent. I do pretty much the same thing myself. BUT, keep i mind, I can see/hear those walls being blown up and it will draw my attention. Of course, maybe you make that into a trap?

-Chris
03-02-2023, 06:24 AM,
There seems to be a issue with the turn files.

I've done each one three times now, but it doesn't seem to register that within my menu.

Maybe the turns have got to you and its just a visual error on my side.

Let me know if you have the turns. If you don't, I'll try and figure something out.

Excellent incoming shot with that ATGM on my M60!
03-02-2023, 07:48 AM,
No new turns (the "Continue" button is dark) in PBEM++ menu, as well as new letters in my mailbox.
03-03-2023, 01:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2023, 02:31 AM by Cupressus.)
This probably won't helps, but here are my thoughts:

When I did my second turns, I have spotted some bug in working of all of this PBEM++ stuff. So. Do you choose the "In Progress" section when running the game? Asking you because, the game seems to creates entries (with the same filename) in the "Saved games and incoming emails" section if player launches game screen (screen with 3D map, units, etc.) and then presses Menus -> Quit (to main menu). So check the "Saved games and incoming emails" section of the PBEM++ menu. Also check .../Game Folder/Game Files/Saved Games/.
03-03-2023, 08:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2023, 08:52 PM by Cupressus.)
Got letters. Haven't checked turn files yet. I will let you know if they don't works.
03-04-2023, 12:18 AM,
Holy smokes!

I couldn't even imagine that aviation can be so effective in MP battles (I always thought that artillery is better, but now I'll definitely reconsider this opinion). Heavy losses in personnel.

But in overall, troops didn't lose their fighting spirit (I still got at least a couple vehicles) yet and they feel thirst to get revenge for that impudence. What was it? Hinds? Frogfoots?

Funny thing: after that air strike, the only survivor in the company HQ unit (Coy Com, XO, RTO) is the company commander himself. So it's not that bad.

I need to make adjustments (to initial plan), so there will be no turns for today, sorry. I remembered one phrase: "No plan survives the first contact with the enemy." Cool phrase, in my opinion.