• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Combat Values
02-15-2023, 10:50 AM,
RE: Combat Values
Thank you.
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2023, 02:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2023, 02:57 AM by Embis.)
Bear in mind that if you start tweaking these values you are will almost certainly be affecting the play balance of the scenarios.

There are differing schools of thought on the "X" values and I am from the opposing school of thought, so for the sake of balance, heres the other side of the argument:

Personally I dont like the "X" values, it results in an "arcade like" style of play where there is little disadvantage to opening fire at maximum range and hammering away at a distant target at every single turn rather than taking a more tactical approach and marshalling your fire until it can be placed most effectively. Thats what troops do in the field, unless perhaps they are an untrained "insurgents" using "pray and spray" in which case they rarely manage to place effective fire.

For me "X" values detracts from the realism of the games even more than "loss of effectiveness". Its "pray and spray" with "super lethality". "Loss of effectiveness" does an imperfect, but reasonable, job of modeling what happens on a battlefield, no doubt it could be improved, but all that using "X" values achieves is to skew the balance in the other direction.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
02-19-2023, 08:11 AM,
Well argued, Mark.