• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bridge Building & Improved Positions
01-03-2023, 09:23 AM,
My 2 Cents  Bridge Building & Improved Positions
It occurs to me that engineer units making a bridge should not be benefiting from the protection of earthworks in their hex, and especially not bunkers or stronger. They are likely as exposed as can be, especially in a non-marsh or -swamp hex.

I mean, guns can only be protected if they are deployed (makes sense), and (deployed) vehicles can only take advantage of earthworks but not pillboxes or forts. So bridges that are under construction, be it a structure, a set of pontoons, or a causeway of some sort, would be right out in the open.

Any thoughts?
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2023, 02:07 PM,
RE: Bridge Building & Improved Positions
I haven't tested it myself but I assume you have and the result is for sure factoring in defensive modifiers for engineers undergoing bridging operations in fortified hexes?

If so, then yes I can 100% agree with your point. I'm sure this would be on a long list of game mechanics and game play improvements and would hope it would eventually be addressed.

Just spit balling here, but I could see the defensive works still playing a bit of a role. As you stated, it would be reasonable to think that an engineering unit constructing a bridge would be heavily exposed and in danger. However, chances are the whole unit would not be exposed at any one time even being caught by surprise. And any personnel in such a position taking on an attack would quickly take cover and possibly return fire... with maybe to a lesser degree during an artillery bombardment or air raid. So maybe a bridging operation should at the very least be canceled due to an attack or assault and the unit should benefit from some small percentage of the defensive modifiers?

Accounting for inflation, that's my 2 bucks :/

-Mark
01-05-2023, 06:02 AM,
RE: Bridge Building & Improved Positions
Engineers constructing a bridge do indeed benefit from any defensive factors in their hex be that IP, trench's, bunker or pillbox's, while I agree that this seems a bit odd I can't see this being changed in the future.

The ability to create bunkers during game (if the bunker parameter is non zero) has seen engineers build a bridge and then build a bunker in the hex they occupy, although I have seen this in games I have played I am not sure how many players take advantage of this feature and obviously not every scenario allows you to do this.