• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bunkers vs Trenches...
11-06-2022, 04:43 PM,
Bunkers vs Trenches...
In my Salerno Campaign I am playing the allies and have routed out an enemy unit that was occupying a bunker hex.  In looking at the hex info I'm seeing the word 'Bunker' and then -20% +10.  I do understand that bunker in lower case means the fortification has half it's defensive value and once restored to full strength will have a defensive value of -40%.  But what does the +10 represent? 

Also I have occupied a trench hex and have restored it to it's full defensive value of -40%... if the terrain is the same for both these mentioned hexes, am I to assume the trench is going to offer the same defensive protection as the bunker once it's restored to full strength?  If that is the case, does that not seem plain wrong?  Shouldn't a bunker offer more protection than a trench?

Can anyone please explain?

-Mark
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2022, 09:41 PM,
RE: Bunkers vs Trenches...
(11-06-2022, 04:43 PM)MisterMark Wrote: In my Salerno Campaign I am playing the allies and have routed out an enemy unit that was occupying a bunker hex.  In looking at the hex info I'm seeing the word 'Bunker' and then -20% +10.  I do understand that bunker in lower case means the fortification has half it's defensive value and once restored to full strength will have a defensive value of -40%.  But what does the +10 represent? 

Also I have occupied a trench hex and have restored it to it's full defensive value of -40%... if the terrain is the same for both these mentioned hexes, am I to assume the trench is going to offer the same defensive protection as the bunker once it's restored to full strength?  If that is the case, does that not seem plain wrong?  Shouldn't a bunker offer more protection than a trench?

-Mark

Hi again Mark, I think I can answer these. :-)

The +10 represents the additional defense value applied to defending units in that bunker. These values are specified in the parameter data as "Bunker Defense" and "Pillbox Defense" (they only apply to those two fortification types). This is on top of the percentage reduction. If you move the units out of the bunker, you'll notice their Defense drops by that amount.

Trenches do not have that extra layer of defense, also note that when units are inside a bunker / pillbox they're flagged as "Hard Target". So in general, these fortifications do offer quite a bit more protection than a trench.
11-06-2022, 09:45 PM,
Bunkers do offer more protection than a trench. The +10 you refer to is an addition to the defense value of the unit occupying the bunker. So if a normal infantry battalion with a defense of 16 occupies a bunker, its defense value is now 26. Then the -20% is applied to the fire value of the attacking unit(s), in addition to whatever terrain value is present. On top of all this, bunkers are hard targets, whereas units occupying trenches retain whatever type of target they are. Lastly, vehicles do not benefit from bunker protection but do benefit from trenches and improved positions.
11-06-2022, 09:47 PM,
(11-06-2022, 09:41 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 04:43 PM)MisterMark Wrote: In my Salerno Campaign I am playing the allies and have routed out an enemy unit that was occupying a bunker hex.  In looking at the hex info I'm seeing the word 'Bunker' and then -20% +10.  I do understand that bunker in lower case means the fortification has half it's defensive value and once restored to full strength will have a defensive value of -40%.  But what does the +10 represent? 

-Mark

Hi again Mark, I think I can answer these. :-)

The +10 represents the additional defense value applied to defending units in that bunker. These values are specified in the parameter data as "Bunker Defense" and "Pillbox Defense" (they only apply to those two fortification types). This is on top of the percentage reduction. If you move the units out of the bunker, you'll notice their Defense drops by that amount.

Trenches do not have that extra layer of defense, also note that when units are inside a bunker / pillbox they're flagged as "Hard Target". So in general, these fortifications do offer quite a bit more protection than a trench.
Ha! You beat me to it by like 2 minutes! We were probably typing at the same time! Big Grin
11-06-2022, 10:20 PM,
Also I believe a bunker that has been reduced to half strength after being vacated (or set at half strength by the designer), can only be restored to full strength by an engineer unit in a scenario where the Bunker probability is not set at 0%.