• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Map Mod 2d
11-02-2022, 07:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 07:51 PM by Sean.)
Map Mod 2d
I have made a really basic edit of a few 2D Map Files.
I have only just bought game and the 2D map looked too busy to me.
I have checked out a few scenarios for the French and Viet Minh and found it hard to see what was happening on the 2D Map.
I thought maybe I could trim the Rice Paddois a bit and do the same for Suburb/Town Tiles.
This is a very quick job and I have only just tested it in game.
It sorta does what I wanted.
I will make some more stuff as well but thought mayvbe some users might like to see this as an idea.
[Image: Screenshot%20%28404%29.png]

Download here,
Use JSGME and put Mod into Mods Folder.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/pgcx3b7xh...D.zip/file
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2022, 08:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 08:09 PM by Sean.)
RE: Map Mod 2d
Few more screenies,

https://imgur.com/cAoQbCN

https://imgur.com/TdWAxEF

It is for the Zoomed in 2D Map view only.
Have not edited any Night Tiles ,they don't look as busy to me and it is just a start anyway.

Bit of a grandiose term a 2D Map Mod since it is just a minor edit ,basically deleted a few things and saved image. But the idea is important and I think it looks OK.

Looking at my screenies <i notice there is a few artifacts around some Rice Paddies -obviously water draining away.
11-03-2022, 12:17 AM,
That's awesome!

Keep it up!
Send this user an email
11-03-2022, 11:32 AM,
Thanks ,they are pretty basic.

I have an idea for a change to the 2D Counter Graphics as well (Edit 1 maybe) -might even have a go with the 3D in a similar vein (Edit 2 maybe). The infantry groups of 2 or 3 men look cool ,but they seem really close together -which makes it hard to differentiate them from a distance ,with my eyes anyway. I was thinking of increasing the spread between these infantry men ,so that they clearly stand out individually. Only problem with this approach ,maybe ,is in 2D mode if Counter Stats are used my picture edit may interfere with reading Stats. Won't effect me since I don't like Stats on Counters whilst in game.

Had another idea as well -just for the 3D Counters. Edit 3 maybe. I noticed the infantry is positioned high on these counters which means part of their Upper Torsos/Guns is projecting off the Round Counter. If they were positioned lower they would be completely encompassed by the counter and thus more contrast would be shown .That is they would stand out more .As is the underlying terrain behind/underneath them can obscure their upper torso/guns.

Another idea again (Edit 4 maybe) ,do Faces/Upper Torsos for the Infantry in 2D Counters ,similarly to how the JTS Squad Battles are done -I think this could look really cool .Won't be able to see their weapons though and only 1 picture rather than 3 Infantry Men.

Have not started on any of these 4 edits yet and edit 2 and edit 3 could slightly conflict.

At present ,only played a few hours -have used 2D Mode (Zoomed ) to do most actions ,for Arty used next 2D Zoom mode ,to get more distance .And for Enemy Turn ,swapped to 3D Close to see the Enemy Action. This gives a bit of visual variety for gameplay and is functional as well.
11-03-2022, 12:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2022, 04:05 PM by Sean.)
I had a bit more of a look at the folders in CSV.

If I use the 3d Image Option for my 2D Counters in game  ; then if I wish to change them is this where I need to look and also change the 6 facings of the image?
Eg
Platoon08
units ,Rifle Platoon 48 A
unit P082021
(PIC USED P082001)
Folder 3Dxs  (3d pictures no shadow)
eg Up082001.bmp
6 FACINGS

Would this be the appropriate .bmp and I assume all 6 facings are used on the 2D Counter for Infantry?

QUESTION 1.
Had a go editing the French 60mm Mortar ,find that weapon is fun in game so far.
Up081012.bmp
Only changed the file in Units/3Dxs.
My edit has appeared in game using JSGME but I am having a problem with the picture where the old French Mortar leaves its outline still in game.
See this screenie ,
https://imgur.com/uKUjx7E
I assume I need to change another picture as well ,perhaps in one of the other Folders like "3D Folder" maybe .
How can I solve this Outline Error?

QUESTION 2.
From my CSME experience ,I found the files named "icons8d08.bmp" as a French Example would give me a image in Zoom view 5 for CSME. How can I get similar 2D sprites from this "icons8d08.bmp" to give me a similar picture in CSV? I notice in CSV in Counter Options that I am given a choice of
3D Icons
Nato Icons
Where does the "icons8d08.bmp" fit into this ,since the default "icons8d08.bmp" in CSV appear Blank bar the top few lines that do not contain Unit pictures ,only a Flag and Victory Counters.
If for example I wanted Faces/Torsos as my image on the Counter how would I add that to the game ,what image file needs modifying (using French as my example)?
Or can I only have either 3D Icons and modify them or Nato Icons?
11-03-2022, 05:06 PM,
Answer 1

If you're using the no shadows version, then yes, that is the correct bmp. 

You need to create an outline file of your new BMP though (which is in the main 3D folder, and has the same name just named a .bit

It is a 1-bit outline file of your graphic (which acts as the highlight). You can find an explanation in 16.1.2 in the manual. 

Answer 2

The 2D silhouettes are not complete yet for CSVN, so the option isn't included (it's there, just turned off until they are ready). 

It is planned to include them in the future. 

In the meantime, you could modify the symbols6d.bmp (and so others) if you want to add images and then use the NATO icons to show them.)

The manual explains what each of the NATO symbols are near the end of the manual.
Send this user an email
11-03-2022, 05:08 PM,
Quote:Would this be the appropriate .bmp and I assume all 6 facings are used on the 2D Counter for Infantry?

That is one of them, yes, only if you are using the no shadow version. The main shadow version is found in the main 3D folder. It is good to get in the habit of making both
Send this user an email
11-03-2022, 06:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2022, 09:19 PM by Sean.)
(1)
I use Gimp ,it does not seem to read .bit files at all.
It does seem difficult to make them as well ,even if I could read them.
I found Irfanview can view them but it thinks they are misnamed bmps.
Still I can see what they look like.

Had an idea, is there a .bit image in the game already that is 480by56 and all white ,no black at all ,that way I could copy and rename that file so that my new edited images have no Highlight? For me that would suffice .
I worked out that Irfanview can at least create an empty .bit image.
I made one 480by56.
Named it OpUNITno same as my UpUNITno and it worked.
No Highlight at all -still looks OK.
So I am back in business.
Screenie-

https://imgur.com/PoBQkyY

I had another go with an image i had already ,it was a VC Mortar from another Mod I have made for another game ,resized my big picture to 56 square and then I pasted it 6 times onto my UpUNITno -no different directions though .Basically I found I could use the 3D Counter to mimic my old CSME 2D Counter.
Screenie-

https://imgur.com/u5ezz1J

(2)
I am looking forward to the "2D silhouettes " option when it is implemented.

I did think of modifying the Nato Icons ,only problem is I cannot differentiate different Armies.

Thanks for the answers.
11-04-2022, 12:19 AM,

Great effort!

I use Corel PhotoPaint to make the .bit files. It works well and isn't pretty quick to do once you do it a few times.

You could use gimp, by copying your file, renaming it to opXXXXX.bmp, trace a black outline around your unit and then erase your unit. Then save as a 1-bit file, then rename it as a .bit. 

2. You could use those cells as whatever you wish, you could make it longer and add different colours for each nation. That would require a lot of edits to the platoon files, but absolutely possible.
Send this user an email