• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Unit Symbols - Not Consistent?
11-06-2022, 04:32 PM,
RE: Unit Symbols - Not Consistent?
(10-27-2022, 08:36 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote: Ok, thanks Ricky, with your information I dug a bit deeper into Salerno and I think I found the source of the issue - the NATO symbols on the unit cards seem to be based not on the stock .oob but on the McNamara Alt .oob.

Hence, the scenario Mark is playing (#430909_03_Salerno_Alt_1.scn, based on Salerno.oob) won't match the symbols on the map. For that to happen he should play instead #430909_03_Salerno_Alt_1_Alt.scn (yes, an Alt of an Alt), which uses the McNamara .oob (Salerno_Alt_McNamara.oob).

Using the StuG IIIg as an example:

- For all Salerno 43, the stock unit component is classed as "Armor" and has a HA of 24.
- In Salerno.oob, all StuGs are nerfed to a HA of 18, still under the "Armor" type.
- In the Salerno_Alt_McNamara.oob, however, the StuGs have a HA of 33 and their type is "Anti-Tank". The Hummel is also classed as Heavy Artillery, matching the NATO symbol on the card.

Moreover, there's a design document explaining the changes in the McNamara .oobs, which includes the following passages (bold is mine):

Quote:-Instituted the McNamara standardized database.  After years of research, the unit ratings used in Talonsoft’s old Campaign Series was taken and, through a mathematical formula, the data was converted into a database relevant to the Panzer Campaigns system. 

Many vehicles and guns were more or less the same ratings but where it differs is in the hard attack strengths of later war tanks and the defense strengths of some units and the overall lower assault ratings for armor (making infantry more powerful assets, vital for successful assaults).  Most of the deviation from the stock values begins to occur in the middle and late periods of the war.

and

Quote:Anti-tank guns, for the most part, are much more powerful now and have longer ranges.  But by the same token, they are also more vulnerable to artillery strikes and are almost completely impotent against infantry (except for a select few anti-tank guns who are now also useful against infantry as well).

Assault guns (AGs) and tank destroyers (TDs) are now very anemic in the assault category.  This is primarily due to the fact that they have no turret and must pivot steer in order to aim their weapons systems.  This makes them extremely vulnerable to infantry assaults.  Keep this in mind, as you would do better to think of tank destroyers and assault guns as “armored self propelled anti-tank/infantry guns”, which, in all actuality, is what they were. 

Nice work Xerxes!  Appreciate you solving the mystery and discovering the truth of the matter.  I can sleep better at night now : )
Quote this message in a reply