• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Corps Attachments Now Possible?
08-14-2022, 01:35 PM,
Corps Attachments Now Possible?
Corps attachments...

What is it and why would you use it (or not use it) and what problems does it solve?  I've read the manual on it but it's still not sinking in.  I need it spelled out to me like I'm a 3rd grader.  

I'm feeling like a complete dummy about this feature of the game.

-Mark
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2022, 02:21 PM,
RE: Corps Attachments Now Possible?
(08-14-2022, 01:35 PM)MisterMark Wrote: Corps attachments...

What is it and why would you use it (or not use it) and what problems does it solve?  I've read the manual on it but it's still not sinking in.  I need it spelled out to me like I'm a 3rd grader.  

I'm feeling like a complete dummy about this feature of the game.

-Mark

If you read the preceding portion talking about the Command Test and Disruption Recovery, you should have some idea of why units should be within command range of their particular HQ.

For example, You want to keep your regimental units in range of their regimental HQ (if applicable), the divisional units in range of their divisional HQ, etc. This will affect their ability to help subordinate units recover from disruption/brokenness. It will also affect their ability to be resupplied (ammo or fuel), receive replacements (read about detachment), etc.

So, as for your specific question, from the User Manual: "The purpose of changing a Corps Attachment is to streamline the Command structure so that a Division HQ can receive support from the closest Corps HQ in its sector."

Other thoughts:

Not all corps HQs have the same ratings or ranges. Sometimes you might want to attach an infantry division, for example, to the panzer korps that it is accompanying/supporting. Sometimes a tank corps needs to be subordinated to a rifle army.

While two divisions in the same corps cannot coordinate an assault, either division's units could use the help of corps-level assets. So there's that.

Corps attachments affect the Command test. Command tests are performed at the highest level of a chain of command on the game map. The more command levels you have, the more chance there are to pass the Command Test. Again, not all HQs have the same ratings, although this is a bit of a stretch.
08-14-2022, 08:50 PM,
(08-14-2022, 02:21 PM)Liebchen Wrote: While two divisions in the same corps cannot coordinate an assault, either division's units could use the help of corps-level assets. So there's that.

(Bold is mine) Is that correct?
08-15-2022, 01:45 AM,
All I will add is obviously this feature does not need to be considered/used unless you are playing the larger campaign games and on the larger maps, in smaller scenarios the command range of Corps HQ's often covers the more hex's than the map itself.

But as long as you understand the basic concept that the more streamlined the command structure of your formations are arranged, the more benefit you will receive with your command "dice rolls".
08-15-2022, 02:52 AM,
(08-14-2022, 08:50 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 02:21 PM)Liebchen Wrote: While two divisions in the same corps cannot coordinate an assault, either division's units could use the help of corps-level assets. So there's that.

Yes meaning if units from both assault the same hex in the same assault, there is a penalty applied. So have to decide if the penalty, whatever it is, is worth the greater strength. I generally avoid mixing them in one assault but do make exceptions.
[Image: exercise.png]
08-15-2022, 03:15 AM,
Even in some of the smaller scenarios it can help to change corps attachment.

There is a medium size Bulge scenario where the Germans have some corps level artillery units that belong to a corps whose units are off map to the south. Consequently, none of the on board units can spot for this artillery during the first day of the scenario. The German player should re-assign these artillery assets during the first night, so that the on map corps units can spot for them.
Quote:Me and General McAulliffe decided to move I Company up on the line. That is, if you agree.
- SGT Kinnie to PFC Holley, Battleground, 1949
08-15-2022, 04:01 AM,
(08-15-2022, 02:52 AM)Ricky B Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 08:50 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote:

Yes meaning if units from both assault the same hex in the same assault, there is a penalty applied. So have to decide if the penalty, whatever it is, is worth the greater strength. I generally avoid mixing them in one assault but do make exceptions.

This is, of course, how I meant to (should have) put it, yes.
08-15-2022, 05:41 PM,
In the current scenario I'm playing, there is only one Corps HQ on the map... he's fixed and according to the reinforcement schedule, it doesn't look like any other Corps will be arriving in the scenario. 

So does that make the option of 'corps attachments now possible' not possible in my current game?  You would need at least 2 Corps on the map (and at least one division) to take advantage of corps attachments, correct? 

Or can corps attachments happen between other levels of command?  Say for instance, reassigning a regiment/brigade to a different division or reassigning a battalion to a different regiment/brigade?

-Mark
08-15-2022, 07:22 PM,
(08-15-2022, 05:41 PM)MisterMark Wrote: In the current scenario I'm playing, there is only one Corps HQ on the map... he's fixed and according to the reinforcement schedule, it doesn't look like any other Corps will be arriving in the scenario. 

So does that make the option of 'corps attachments now possible' not possible in my current game?  You would need at least 2 Corps on the map (and at least one division) to take advantage of corps attachments, correct? 

Or can corps attachments happen between other levels of command?  Say for instance, reassigning a regiment/brigade to a different division or reassigning a battalion to a different regiment/brigade?

-Mark

Make sure that all of your units on the map are subordinated to that corps, then. (They probably are...)
08-15-2022, 10:20 PM,
The one issue I have is waiting until the midnight turn to switch attachments.