• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What to do in heavy Storm conditions?
07-21-2022, 11:49 PM,
Help  What to do in heavy Storm conditions?
Hi! I'm playing Stalingrad'43's full campaign with someone and I need some help. I am the Soviet side, but I'm struggling since my logistical power is so bad and Russia's weather conditions are terrible. I need your experiences about offences in hard conditions like storm&frozen conditions.

I can't move motorized&cavalry supported infantry units more than 2 hex in a turn. Can't move regular infantry units more than 1 hex in a turn. Highways are exceptions, but the enemy is holding them so still can't move more than 1 hex even around highways.

So, I think I have to pick a strategy that may be more effective in this conditions more than a regular offensive. 
You can get this thread as a discussion thread Helmet Rolleyes

Thanks

-Yasin
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2022, 06:00 AM,
RE: What to do in heavy Storm conditions?
(07-21-2022, 11:49 PM)YasinAhmet Wrote: Hi! I'm playing Stalingrad'43's full campaign with someone and I need some help. I am the Soviet side, but I'm struggling since my logistical power is so bad and Russia's weather conditions are terrible. I need your experiences about offences in hard conditions like storm&frozen conditions.

I can't move motorized&cavalry supported infantry units more than 2 hex in a turn. Can't move regular infantry units more than 1 hex in a turn. Highways are exceptions, but the enemy is holding them so still can't move more than 1 hex even around highways.

So, I think I have to pick a strategy that may be more effective in this conditions more than a regular offensive. 

Thanks

-Yasin

You just have to slow down and take what the game gives you. jonny Whip
07-22-2022, 06:50 AM,
(07-22-2022, 06:00 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: You just have to slow down and take what the game gives you. jonny Whip

It doesn't feel right to hear that my only option is to bow the conditions :(

Winter scenarios are so annoying because of the conditions, I think the conditions are the stuff that makes the scenarios interesting.
07-22-2022, 07:55 AM,
The restrictions that storms place on movement and combat force these games to proceed at a snails pace and as jonny says there is just no getting round that. :(
07-22-2022, 01:39 PM,
Stalingrad 43 ?? is this reffer to Stalingrad 42 or mod scn ?
07-22-2022, 10:55 PM,
(07-22-2022, 01:39 PM)erick_repie Wrote: Stalingrad 43 ?? is this reffer to Stalingrad 42 or mod scn ?

Sorry, I meant Stalingrad'42.
07-22-2022, 11:05 PM,
(07-22-2022, 06:50 AM)YasinAhmet Wrote:
(07-22-2022, 06:00 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: You just have to slow down and take what the game gives you. jonny Whip

It doesn't feel right to hear that my only option is to bow the conditions :(

Winter scenarios are so annoying because of the conditions, I think the conditions are the stuff that makes the scenarios interesting.

Don't forget to turn up the sound effects to hear the wind howling!  TEEHEE
07-23-2022, 03:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2022, 08:22 PM by ComradeP.)
Any kind of terrain or weather conditions where you can't move and assault will slow the game down, particularly with Delayed Disruption Reporting on.

I can't really give specific advice for your strategic situation, as I've never played the full Stalingrad campaign.

Generally speaking, knowing both your infantry units and the enemy infantry units can only move 1 hex per turn makes planning movement easier: your units will move 6-8 hexes or so each day in the best of cases (depending on the number of non-night turns), and often less. They won't end up on a part of the map that wasn't on screen at the start of the day. Unfortunately, the interior lines advantage offered by primary roads is increased almost exponentially as ground conditions don't apply to moving units along primary roads.

If you can't get to an objective without at least two days to spare, I'd strongly consider finding a different objective to attack.

The mobility advantage of tracked vehicles, ski units and cavalry is significant. Those unit types will still be slow in genuine Storm turns, but quite fast (compared to infantry) in Snow/Frozen conditions.

Plan the direction of your offensive carefully, as moving units to another sector is very inefficient in bad weather.

PzC games featuring predominantly poor weather conditions might not be as much fun as those featuring rapid spring/summer offensives, but I find them more rewarding in terms of finding a winning strategy. Every offensive is slow and methodical. Afterwards, I'm always happy when I'm playing a PzC title where infantry units can move and assault again, though.
07-23-2022, 04:32 AM,
(07-23-2022, 03:59 AM)ComradeP Wrote: PzC games featuring predominantly poor weather conditions might not be as much fun as those featuring rapid spring/summer offensives, but I find them more rewarding in terms of finding a winning strategy. Every offensive is slow and methodical. Afterwards, I'm always happy when I'm PzC title where infantry units can move and assault again, though.

I'm playing El Alamein'42 at the same time with Stalingrad'42 and it's my favorite title after Middle East'67. I don't have any unit that I can do shock offensive with in Stalingrad'42. When I get my Stalingrad turn and start playing it, I usually say "Why I don't have more cavalry!" and can't find anything except some poor Soviet infantries. 

I think the greatest factor that make me to like a title is how it is easy to perform a logistical action. And I don't think I have the speed that I need to perform a fast logistical action. But the thing is, I like France'14 at the same time which is also slow to advance during offensives.

I would like to know if there is a title that has the same or higher level of logistical conditions as El Alamein'42
07-25-2022, 06:16 AM,
(07-21-2022, 11:49 PM)YasinAhmet Wrote: Hi! I'm playing Stalingrad'43's full campaign with someone and I need some help. I am the Soviet side, but I'm struggling since my logistical power is so bad and Russia's weather conditions are terrible. I need your experiences about offences in hard conditions like storm&frozen conditions.

Thanks

-Yasin

I am playing landser34 and i am the axis it is also very slow for the defender to move.The fow makes it hard
 for the russians.It is good to get away from the all of the guns the russians have at the start.However sooner or later they catch back up.