• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Weird assault result
07-05-2022, 05:36 AM,
Weird assault result
Maybe I'm a bit rusted in regards to the rules, but I had something odd happening to me in my last Scheldt game: 

Germans assaulted my troops in hex 21.9 successfully (i.e. all defenders disrupted, at least one attacker not disrupted) and instead of the survivors retreating to hex 22.8 (no obstacle in between, friendly units present), what happened was that my units took the 50% extra losses as if they had no path of retreat. Really strange. At least some units could have retreated to hex 22.8 (not all due to stacking constraints). 

Any ideas? Am I missing something? 

(Screenshot attached; I can send a savegame)

Attached Files
.png   2022-07-04_21h18_30.png (Size: 270.57 KB / Downloads: 15)
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2022, 05:42 AM,
RE: Weird assault result
(07-05-2022, 05:36 AM)Mowgli Wrote: Maybe I'm a bit rusted in regards to the rules, but I had something odd happening to me in my last Scheldt game: 

Germans assaulted my troops in hex 21.9 successfully (i.e. all defenders disrupted, at least one attacker not disrupted) and instead of the survivors retreating to hex 22.8 (no obstacle in between, friendly units present), what happened was that my units took the 50% extra losses as if they had no path of retreat. Really strange. At least some units could have retreated to hex 22.8 (not all due to stacking constraints). 

I had this happen recently. I believe that the entire stack tries to fit into the retreat hex, and if it can't then it is treated as a "no retreat" situation.
07-05-2022, 05:45 AM,
(07-05-2022, 05:42 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(07-05-2022, 05:36 AM)Mowgli Wrote: Maybe I'm a bit rusted in regards to the rules, but I had something odd happening to me in my last Scheldt game: 

I had this happen recently. I believe that the entire stack tries to fit into the retreat hex, and if it can't then it is treated as a "no retreat" situation.

Yes that would explain the situation. 
But I'm pretty sure that I've seen "partial" retreats in many previous games?
07-06-2022, 02:39 AM,
The Civil War Battles series has an Optional Rule that allows Partial Retreats, does not appear to be available in the PzC games.
07-06-2022, 04:29 AM,
The stack has to fit into a single hex as a stack and it also needs to be able to move to the destination hex as a stack.

I'm not sure if the game calculates stacking limits before or after the defender assault losses are applied. That is: if the 50% strength loss or surrender (Fragile Morale) check is part of the loss calculation or a separate check.

If the stack would need to cross a hexside or enter terrain which one or more units in the stack can't enter, such as vehicles entering a marsh or a mixed stack of units not in travel mode and units in travel mode next to a bridge across a river, the stack will take "can't retreat" losses even though most of the stack is technically able to retreat into that hex or across the hexside.
07-08-2022, 06:21 PM,
(07-06-2022, 04:29 AM)ComradeP Wrote: The stack has to fit into a single hex as a stack and it also needs to be able to move to the destination hex as a stack.

I'm not sure if the game calculates stacking limits before or after the defender assault losses are applied. That is: if the 50% strength loss or surrender (Fragile Morale) check is part of the loss calculation or a separate check.

If the stack would need to cross a hexside or enter terrain which one or more units in the stack can't enter, such as vehicles entering a marsh or a mixed stack of units not in travel mode and units in travel mode next to a bridge across a river, the stack will take "can't retreat" losses even though most of the stack is technically able to retreat into that hex or across the hexside.

Thanks a lot for you reply! 
So indeed I remembered that rule incorrectly. Got to be very carefull in defense! :)
07-09-2022, 03:25 AM,
(07-05-2022, 05:36 AM)Mowgli Wrote: Who is your icon?  Big Grin
07-09-2022, 04:56 AM,
(07-09-2022, 03:25 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:
(07-05-2022, 05:36 AM)Mowgli Wrote: Who is your icon?  Big Grin

I do not understand this post.
07-09-2022, 05:24 AM,