• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

the proving grounds
07-01-2022, 08:24 PM,
the proving grounds
The-proving-grounds.com is dead now, here at the Blitz I see opponents for CMBB and CMAK very, very rarely. Does anyone know any other resources where I can find someone to play with in these old wargames? Any site where Combat Mission fans are hanging out and posting their challenges?
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2022, 09:14 PM,
RE: the proving grounds
Try The Few Good Men:

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/
07-01-2022, 10:49 PM,
(07-01-2022, 09:14 PM)Alpha Zwo Wrote: Try The Few Good Men:

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/

Are there any CMBB/CMAK gamers? I see posts only about new titles, CMRT, CMBS and so on.
07-03-2022, 02:20 AM,
However, the FGM no longer has ladder games.

The problem is that enough new players register here, but don't even react to challenges.At least that's my experience. I always wonder why they register here if they never play.If you are looking for a player we could play something. But only meeting engagement. 3000 or 5000 points.
07-03-2022, 05:40 AM,
(07-03-2022, 02:20 AM)Westland Wrote: However, the FGM no longer has ladder games.

The problem is that enough new players register here, but don't even react to challenges.At least that's my experience. I always wonder why they register here if they never play.If you are looking for a player we could play something. But only meeting engagement. 3000 or 5000 points.

An absence of the ladder games is absolutely not a problem for me, I play not for a rating and I remember about a result registration only if my opponent would mention it. The proving ground completely suited me, I could find there someone to play with much faster than here. There were regularly some new registration there, very few but regularly, and it was clearly that if someone registered there he did it to play. I had last games with men from there in the end of the last year.
Here as you have said the challenge is a problem. Most people here are playing modern CM titles, I have them but this titles irritate me, they have (since the last patches or updates) very strange and I'd say a ridiculous detection system, I mean a system how units can detect each other and so on. I just cannot play them now because I often couldn't get what would happen after I'll do so and so. This has never happened before, at least in the first years when CMx2 titles were released.
07-03-2022, 08:07 AM,
To be honest, I've never heard of The-proving-grounds.com.But whatever.
I also play CMx2, but I still haven't figured out how the enemy detection system works.And that after more than ten years.
So far no one has been able to explain it to me.
Just one example. How does the enemy manage to spot my camouflaged units lying completely still and motionless in the forest after a few turns?Or camouflaged units in houses. They are discovered immediately after two rounds after an opponent has occupied the house opposite.I don't understand any of that.
In the old CM games, stealthed and silent infantry were only discovered through direct contact.Just like it is in real war.
But how can it be that hidden, silent units are immediately discovered just by observing the terrain?As in CMx2.
Something like that would be possible with thermal imaging cameras. Rather atypical in WW2.
Also the reaction of tank crews to enemy vehicles is strange in CMx2.I've tested it many times, but haven't figured out why this or that is the case.
For example, an Elite Stug III stands on a street. The commander looks out with binoculars and sees the whole street. About 300 meters.Then there's a left turn with a house in front of it. An M8 Greyhound comes around the house and stops in the road.Both opponents don't see each other for two laps!!!Open view for 300 meters!!!On a street!!
Then, on the third round, the Greyhound saw the Stug and shot it down.
The same with a Hetzer in ace status. Hatch open, commander with binoculars.Visible only one street. About 500 meters unobstructed view. An M36 Jackson comes around the curve.I was happy that the Hetzer would fire. But nothing. He didn't see the Jackson.The Jackson saw the Hetzer immediately and shot him down.
Do you know what I mean? In the game it doesn't seem to matter if the units are recruits or elite/ace. Or if the commander is looking out of the dome or not.It's somehow just arbitrary or random calculation of the AI when who sees whom first.
07-04-2022, 12:11 AM,
Hey there I still fight CMBB / CMAK and I can have some games!
Greets Owl