• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

88 effectiveness in JTS/WDS Campaign Series
07-01-2022, 02:22 PM,
88 effectiveness in JTS/WDS Campaign Series
I donna know.  Brother and I have played Sicily, full game.  Market Garden twice.  North Africa, Tobruck era.  Just played one of the large games in Korsun Pocket.  Normandy, lol.  You get the picture.

We are both WWII history buffs, and I've done a lot of board gaming in 'the ole days'.

We both find the 88's almost ineffective, especially at long range when they should be knocking out tanks and other vehicles before they close.  They are also found too too easily and wiped out quickly by an adversary that concentrates on them for a turn.  Maybe two turns.

I noticed that German small anti-tank seems to have gotten a touch better in WDS version of Market Garden.  Prior to that my feelings are they are about a usefull as the 88's were.  You shouldn't have to stack many in a hex to look a bit more effective.

Thanks for any replies.
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2022, 02:59 PM,
RE: 88 effectiveness in JTS/WDS Campaign Series
(07-01-2022, 02:22 PM)tobruck41 Wrote: I donna know.  Brother and I have played Sicily, full game.  Market Garden twice.  North Africa, Tobruck era.  Just played one of the large games in Korsun Pocket.  Normandy, lol.  You get the picture.

We are both WWII history buffs, and I've done a lot of board gaming in 'the ole days'.

We both find the 88's almost ineffective, especially at long range when they should be knocking out tanks and other vehicles before they close.  They are also found too too easily and wiped out quickly by an adversary that concentrates on them for a turn.  Maybe two turns.

I noticed that German small anti-tank seems to have gotten a touch better in WDS version of Market Garden.  Prior to that my feelings are they are about a usefull as the 88's were.  You shouldn't have to stack many in a hex to look a bit more effective.

Thanks for any replies.

I agree. I've just finished reading An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson and last year the Barrie Pitt trilogy and it's not uncommon to read of a tank attack stopped cold by a couple of well-sited 88s. That has never really been my experience in PzC.
07-02-2022, 03:12 AM,
(07-01-2022, 02:22 PM)tobruck41 Wrote: I donna know.  Brother and I have played Sicily, full game.  Market Garden twice.  North Africa, Tobruck era.  Just played one of the large games in Korsun Pocket.  Normandy, lol.  You get the picture.

Thanks for any replies.
I have often thought this as well, nice to see I'm not the only one...
07-04-2022, 08:23 AM,

Thanks for any replies.

I agree.
I think this applies to both PB and PC.
It could be bad luck but a fatigue result with no kills for three turns as some T-34's advance is not right (PB).
....................?