• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bulge_Revived 2.0 is updated!
06-28-2022, 12:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2022, 12:15 PM by jonnymacbrown.)
News  Bulge_Revived 2.0 is updated!
This should be a good fight! St. Vith and Bastogne are now bunkered. Basically, there is no more blowing through St Vith like it's not there. It will have to be bypassed by Peiper and the rest of the very beefy 1st SS Panzer and then invested by the beefed up Fallshirmjaegers.  1st SS Panzer is reinforced by Luftwaffe flak divisions. Some of them are unmarked with pictures as my designer partner unfortunately passed away and that was his job. If anybody can help put pictures of some of the flak units that would be great! In any case some players have chosen to use them as scouts but their defenses are now weakened. So make the choice; use them as scouts or keep them to protect your panzers when American air power emerges. Recommended optional rules are alternative fire resolutions.  Download now in B 44 scenarios.  jonny
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2022, 09:53 AM,
RE: Bulge_Revived 2.0 is updated!
Great, what is the suggested rule for this scn ??
07-14-2022, 11:37 AM,
(07-14-2022, 09:53 AM)erick_repie Wrote: Great, what is the suggested rule for this scn ??

Bulge_Revived 3.0 is coming in a week or so. It's be the last update. Please wait for it ok? Thanks jonny
07-14-2022, 11:47 AM,
(07-14-2022, 11:37 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 09:53 AM)erick_repie Wrote: Great, what is the suggested rule for this scn ??

Bulge_Revived 3.0 is coming in a week or so. It's be the last update. Please wait for it ok? Thanks jonny

last question, is Bulge_revived (2.0 & 3.0)supposed to be used with alt indirect fire/direct fire option ?
07-14-2022, 11:50 AM,
(07-14-2022, 11:47 AM)erick_repie Wrote:

last question, is Bulge_revived (2.0 & 3.0)supposed to be used with alt indirect fire/direct fire option ?

Yes Alt Indirect fire especially.
07-15-2022, 01:36 PM,
(07-14-2022, 11:50 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:

Yes I've just read through the list of options you've put In other thread about 3.0. 
Should make the game interesting. Stack high and your going to take high casuaties.
Any changes in stacking limits?
07-15-2022, 11:35 PM,
(07-15-2022, 01:36 PM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 11:50 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:

Yes I've just read through the list of options you've put In other thread about 3.0. 
Should make the game interesting. Stack high and your going to take high casuaties.
Any changes in stacking limits?
I think stacking limits are embedded. In any case no change; but Alt. Indirect fire will do as you suggest.  jonny
07-16-2022, 09:32 AM,
I'm not sure about the balance in Bulge Revived.

When I heard that the campaign used Alt Indirect Fire, my first thought was that those big regiments -- which can't break down into companies, unlike the Americans -- would make juicy targets. When I tried the campaign as the U.S. versus the German AI, the American artillery could inflict up to 60 KIA on two stacked German regiments in the open, and 30 casualties on a single German regiment. That's far more than U.S. artillery could achieve with normal indirect fire.

German artillery is also more effective. But the American artillery is more powerful overall. There may be other factors that help the Germans, such as a stronger 1st SS Panzer Division. But just playing the first two turns against the German AI, the U.S. artillery was murderous.

Michael
07-16-2022, 09:40 AM,
(07-16-2022, 09:32 AM)dto Wrote: I'm not sure about the balance in Bulge Revived.

When I heard that the campaign used Alt Indirect Fire, my first thought was that those big regiments -- which can't break down into companies, unlike the Americans -- would make juicy targets. When I tried the campaign as the U.S. versus the German AI, the American artillery could inflict up to 60 KIA on two stacked German regiments in the open, and 30 casualties on a single German regiment. That's far more than U.S. artillery could achieve with normal indirect fire.

German artillery is also more effective. But the American artillery is more powerful overall. There may be other factors that help the Germans, such as a stronger 1st SS Panzer Division. But just playing the first two turns against the German AI, the U.S. artillery was murderous.

Michael
Normal fire (two shots, target density irrelevant) and the Allies have no chance; German panzers and armored infantry (not to mention Fallshirmjaegers and crack VG divisions) have too much firepower if allowed to stack freely to the max. Germans have a lot of big guns too. Basically the Germans in Bulge (any Bulge scenario) have overwhelming firepower at the point of attack. You are going to break through and hit the wide open spaces. First few turns you are going to take some hits. Like FMWarBajan used to say "Nobody made an omelet without breaking a few eggs."  jonny
07-16-2022, 09:49 AM,
I'll take the Americans if anyone wants to try a campaign. Curious to see if I'm wrong.

Michael