• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

F 40 Gold: Expiring Belgian Objectives
06-06-2022, 02:23 AM,
F 40 Gold: Expiring Belgian Objectives
The 259 turn campaign game really needs to have them. Let's say the French play a near perfect defense in Belgium and along the Maginot Line/Sedan area. They are poised for a major victory. Then the Germans launch a last gasp counter-stroke and take the last few Belgian objectives to secure a minor victory? Victory for taking Belgium on turn 255? It not only doesn't make sense but doesn't feel right either from a wargaming perspective. Historically such a result would have gotten Hitler killed and the Germans seeking some sort of deal/armistice. There has got to be a better way forward. The game is too good for this sort of very probable or possible outcome.  jonny Soap Box
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2022, 05:57 AM,
RE: F 40 Gold: Expiring Belgian Objectives
(06-06-2022, 02:23 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: The 259 turn campaign game really needs to have them. Let's say the French play a near perfect defense in Belgium and along the Maginot Line/Sedan area. They are poised for a major victory. Then the Germans launch a last gasp counter-stroke and take the last few Belgian objectives to secure a minor victory? Victory for taking Belgium on turn 255? It not only doesn't make sense but doesn't feel right either from a wargaming perspective. Historically such a result would have gotten Hitler killed and the Germans seeking some sort of deal/armistice. There has got to be a better way forward. The game is too good for this sort of very probable or possible outcome.  jonny Soap Box

Johnny,

This will not be changed.

I definitely see what you are saying - the specific situation that you are describing would seem like a bit of a hollow victory for the Germans, and certainly if I were the Allied player I might be displeased. However, I think this is based more on our hindsight than it is on what Allied and German commanders actually expected or were planning for. My goal would be to, as much as possible, to put the player in the mindset of OKW or GQG. The decisive, rapid victory that the Germans achieved was not foreseen.

From the Allied perspective, the loss of the Low Countries, whether in two weeks, three weeks, or four, or even five, or more, would have been regarded as a significant defeat - the failure of Plan D and the bankruptcy of years of planning. Letting the Belgian objectives expire lets the Allies march into Belgium and march back a week or two later (or however long is determined). This was not the point of Plan D, the point was to stay for the long haul. The loss of the Low Countries, even on Turn 255, is the defeat of Plan D and I think this must be represented in the victory conditions. Of course the occupation of Belgium and the Netherlands wouldn't have been anywhere close to the decisive blow Fall Gelb ultimately delivered, but that it is why it is a minor victory, not a major victory.

One more technical point - adding expiring objectives in Belgium could really screw up Belgian surrender conditions. If even one surrender objective expired before it was captured, surrender would become impossible.

We may not see eye to eye on this - and that is fine. You are more than welcome to add expiration times to your copy of the scenario. I would caution you to consider the potential effects on Belgian surrender.

-Mike Prucha
Quote this message in a reply