• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stacks Firing and Morale Checks
05-11-2022, 01:23 PM,
c_Question Mark  Stacks Firing and Morale Checks
If more than one unit is selected and all fire at a target....

1. The Combat Results calculation is performed for each firing unit in the stack, i.e., each unit fires separately.
  2. The manual says "if the fire result affects the target unit, then the target unit performs a Morale Check". 
So my question is, does the target unit take a morale check for each firing that affects it? Or is there just one morale check for the multi-unit fire?
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2022, 01:38 PM,
RE: Stacks Firing and Morale Checks
I believe the morale check is one per fire that causes losses (or morale check for gun/vehicle units). However, I don't know how to prove it one way or the other. But that is what #1 would logically lead to.
[Image: exercise.png]
05-11-2022, 11:24 PM,
(05-11-2022, 01:38 PM)Ricky B Wrote: I believe the morale check is one per fire that causes losses (or morale check for gun/vehicle units). However, I don't know how to prove it one way or the other. But that is what #1 would logically lead to.

In the ACW series when a stack is fired this is the way it is handled, all fire is calculated separately for each unit but the total losses are used for determining things like Morale Checks and in the ACW game gun/crew losses.  I confirmed this with WDS when I was updating the ACW manuals before putting that in the update.  Can't say it is definitely true in these games but since all of Tiller's games are based on the same engine I would say odds are it is.
05-16-2022, 05:39 AM,
(05-11-2022, 11:24 PM)krmiller Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 01:38 PM)Ricky B Wrote: I believe the morale check is one per fire that causes losses (or morale check for gun/vehicle units). However, I don't know how to prove it one way or the other. But that is what #1 would logically lead to.

In the ACW series when a stack is fired this is the way it is handled, all fire is calculated separately for each unit but the total losses are used for determining things like Morale Checks and in the ACW game gun/crew losses.  I confirmed this with WDS when I was updating the ACW manuals before putting that in the update.  Can't say it is definitely true in these games but since all of Tiller's games are based on the same engine I would say odds are it is.

The answer from WDS support:

Each fire effect is calculated separately. I.e. they are not considered as one. So if 3 units in a hex fire on another hex, each result is determined. If 2 of the 3 units had a fire result that affected the target then there would be 2 morale rolls. The presentation of the results is aggregated, which may make it appear like a single result.
05-16-2022, 06:08 AM,
(05-16-2022, 05:39 AM)HMCS Rosthern Wrote:

Each fire effect is calculated separately. I.e. they are not considered as one. So if 3 units in a hex fire on another hex, each result is determined. If 2 of the 3 units had a fire result that affected the target then there would be 2 morale rolls. The presentation of the results is aggregated, which may make it appear like a single result.

Great, thanks for the clarification.

Now, what about return fire?

Is that based on each unit's firing or (as my experience suggests) on the number of actions or commands given? Would a stack-fire from a stack of three be likely to lead to three times as many opportunity fires?
05-26-2022, 04:27 AM,
(05-16-2022, 06:08 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(05-16-2022, 05:39 AM)HMCS Rosthern Wrote:

Great, thanks for the clarification.

Now, what about return fire?

Is that based on each unit's firing or (as my experience suggests) on the number of actions or commands given? Would a stack-fire from a stack of three be likely to lead to three times as many opportunity fires?

The response from wds is "We do not disclose the details of how opportunity fire works as it will lead to gamey tactics and exploiting the system."