• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Beta release of Bolt out of the Blue V10.0.
10-15-2022, 01:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-15-2022, 02:06 PM by Aaron.)
RE: Beta release of Bolt out of the Blue V10.0.
The scenario was always built around the hardcore player but unit density was always a thought, I actually don't have a big issue just deleting all the border units if that makes things simpler and faster for the players.

As far as everything being released from the start, there needs to be a variable or the first few turns end up the same in most games. With WP being the intiate they have a slight release advantage but both dont start in strong positions.

Was always worried by giving NATO to early of a start it would turn into WW1. Would rather help control that with unit density.

Like the feedback, thanks for that. Going back to Helos on map could be some work though. Would be easier if the rules got changed, lol. Hint, hint. I'm full of ideas but the engine is limited and doing this as a hobby is hard to justify even to myself even though I luv it.
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2022, 03:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-17-2022, 04:21 AM by 2-81 Armor.)
RE: Beta release of Bolt out of the Blue V10.0.
A quick follow up to what I wrote earlier.

1. I stand corrected. It is the stock 1985 scenario that is pretty long, NOT Bolt (sorry about that).

2 Bolt may benefit from some amalgamation of everyone's ADA into combined (mixed) units. Example: US ADA Bns would have 3 mixed Vulcan/Chap batteries rather than keeping the systems separate. Effects and ranges would be averaged.

3. SF units could still be pared back or handled as strategic operations choices. Either way the numbers should still be reduced.

4. To give rear area security forces something to do (and not Having them reinforcing the front line) consider having some high movement, low morale, high assault units of about 25-40 men strength appear as KGB/GRU/STASSI units in the first 2-3 turns. Have to keep the numbers down, but should keep the NATO player honest.

5. Consider backdating the scenario to 1983-84 to simulate the dawn of M1 deployment, where only the 11th ACR and part of the 3rd ID had them yet. This might give the Pact a better chance.

6. Mentioned in another post is the fact that there are a ton of 2 hex range units. Consider redoing these back to 1 hex. While the weapons on paper could certainly fire that far, from personal experience in Germany 1971-85, I can attest that the average engagement range would have been around 1000-1200 meters in most cases. Our main guns were bore sighted for this, and those were also the battle sight settings. Germany had a lot of small areas full of light woods and minor streams that would have interfered with the LOS and in the case of ATGMs effected the guidance wires.

Just some thoughts.
Quote this message in a reply