• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

I Need Help
05-06-2022, 05:35 AM,
I Need Help
I am returning to the club after a super long hiatus. I am interested in playing again but have forgotten how to do Play By E-Mail. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2022, 07:08 AM,
RE: I Need Help
Welcome back! Which game series were you hoping to PBEM with?  Smile
05-06-2022, 12:49 PM,
(05-06-2022, 07:08 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Welcome back! Which game series were you hoping to PBEM with?  Smile

Currently I have an odd mix of titles. Some Campaign Napoleon titles. Plus, some American Civil War and a few others. I will have to give you a full list later.

I'm looking forward to getting back into action.
05-18-2022, 07:29 AM,
(05-06-2022, 12:49 PM)Red Bird Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 07:08 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Welcome back! Which game series were you hoping to PBEM with?  Smile

Currently I have an odd mix of titles. Some Campaign Napoleon titles. Plus, some American Civil War and a few others. I will have to give you a full list later.

I'm looking forward to getting back into action.
I think the basics are similar with most PBEM systems. First thing is to learn how to play the game in question, of course. Then the first player, either you or your opponent, will have given the game a file name. When you have finished your turn and advanced the phase - see individual game manuals for how this is done if it's not obvious to you in the menu system - you will need to know where your game folder is stored and where in the game folder the game file will be stored. In most of the games I've played that will be in the game's root folder. Write your email to your opponent, attach the game file to the message the same way you do any file attachment, and hit send. When receiving a turn, you'll get an email with a file attached, download that file to your game folder - it will overwrite the file already in the folder, which usually will contain your previous turn - open the game and find the turn in the game's starting dialog system - that, of course, will vary from game to game - and let slip the dogs of war. Generally pretty simple, if somewhat intimidating at first.

Really, it is pretty easy, and most anybody here is happy to help a newbie (or retread Wink ) get started.

Hope that helps.