• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Group Movement Command
03-14-2022, 07:27 PM,
Group Movement Command
In Danube Front '85 there is a command that allows you to move multiple units with one mouse click, and there is a thread somewhere in here that explains the process. I have tried searching under 'group movement' and 'convoy movement' but nothing comes up.

Can someone either point me to that thread, or, explain the process again?

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2022, 10:37 PM,
RE: Group Movement Command
I tried once years ago. One thing is you will have to remember to kill the orders once they get to where you want them. If you manually move them, when you end turn, they will move back toward the hex where they were ordered to go in the first place several turns ago. Also, some of your units won't exactly take the most optimal path. I just move every unit one at a time or stack if I find it better to do so in a front line situation.
03-15-2022, 04:59 PM,
After you figure out what hex you want them to go to you want to click on the lead unit but DONT SELECT/HILIGHT them.  Then while pressing the  ALT button click your mouse on the hex you want them to go.  All units from that command wil then change/move in T mode.  

You do have to watch with road limits if any are stacked.  Ive found it best to stretch them out so you only have like one unit per hex to try to avoid that.
cheers
03-15-2022, 11:56 PM,
Yes, that covers a lot of it. The units all have to be adjacent, and to be part of the same formation as the lead unit, usually at the division level, but I think if it is corps or higher it flows to adjacent units of that level.

If units aren't already in a line, you can find they go backward in some cases to join into a line. Then they will follow the leader's path. And gaps can form, due to different movement speeds, elevation changes, interdiction, etc. Once that happens, you have to close the gaps and slow down the lead units, or simply move multiple columns this way.
[Image: exercise.png]
03-16-2022, 12:46 AM,
They will also NOT avoid things like mines and obstacles if they are present, even if "visible". So as far as using the auto movement goes, it is only useful when units are deep in a rear area... like in Germany when your front line is in France!

I tried using that form of auto movement as well as the AI orders function in a France 40 campaign game not too long ago... It was so frustrating I basically gave up and resigned myself to moving every unit.
03-22-2022, 05:20 AM,
(03-16-2022, 12:46 AM)LordDeadwood Wrote: They will also NOT avoid things like mines and obstacles if they are present, even if "visible". So as far as using the auto movement goes, it is only useful when units are deep in a rear area... like in Germany when your front line is in France!

I tried using that form of auto movement as well as the AI orders function in a France 40 campaign game not too long ago... It was so frustrating I basically gave up and resigned myself to moving every unit.

Know the feeling.  I experimented with both functions early on in learning the system, but never use them now. In a large campaign (the full France 40 campaign scenarios, say) a turn can take 6-10 hours to move every single unit manually, but these alternatives aren't really worthwhile. 

Not high on my list of priorities for system improvement (assuming it's even possible in the first place), but it would be nice to have a more reliable system for set-and-forget movement by formation.
03-22-2022, 01:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2022, 01:12 PM by dukemat.)
I have not got the hang of that kind of movement.........I gave up....it is so frustrating.

They should just use the multiple unit movement that is in JTS Napoleonic and Civil War titles.

It works great....
03-23-2022, 08:34 PM,
(03-22-2022, 01:11 PM)dukemat Wrote: I have not got the hang of that kind of movement.........I gave up....it is so frustrating.

They should just use the multiple unit movement that is in JTS Napoleonic and Civil War titles.

It works great....

I use it a lot in my solo smolensk campaign
Its not that hard with a little practice.
03-23-2022, 11:09 PM,
More hassle than it is worth, IMO.
03-23-2022, 11:12 PM,
(03-23-2022, 11:09 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: More hassle than it is worth, IMO.

I agree........it would be great if they had the same as Nappy and Civil War.

that method is easy to use...........for me anyway.