• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sci Fantasy Unit Graphics
02-15-2022, 11:19 AM,
RE: Sci Fantasy Unit Graphics
(02-15-2022, 11:03 AM)Warhorse Wrote:
(02-15-2022, 08:37 AM)stanfc Wrote:
(02-14-2022, 07:39 PM)Embis Wrote: Its good fun messing about with these sort of Mods, I am surprised nobody came up with a fantasy or sci-fi mod before. Although I think there is a fun scifi type scenario in Arab Israeli War.

If you have used Modern war have you edited any weapons in the database? adding the beam attribute to a weapon in a fantasy setting might make good dragon-fire-breath, or in a scifi setting some sort of laser. worth experimenting with if you haven't looked at it already.

There's a lot of fun to be had with all this and you've done a lovely job, but I have to admit its probably not my cup of tea.

Did not Warhorse do a Sci Fi mod for squad battles?  I had it at one time but can not find it now.

Hi, not YET!! I did do one for Campaign Series West Front, the K'talan Mod based on Harry Turtledoves Series World War, I think, where aliens invade Earth during WW2.

Yeah, and I lost almost a battalion of King Tigers to those K'talan buggers!

Very tough...
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2022, 02:52 PM,
(02-15-2022, 10:11 AM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(02-15-2022, 09:59 AM)Barly Wrote: Another thing I do in solo games is give my leaders an extra chance at rally by saving before the attempt- bit naughty but I more often than not play as attacker and most scenarios are favoured to the defence..

Hey Barly, instead of using the save trick, why not give your leaders a Quality rating of 7 (A+)? I believe Heroic Leaders can always rally their troops successfully.

I have never really edited scenarios,
I suppose to do this the OOB needs to be edited?

I copied a small section from an OOB,

L 1855 6 6 Sgt Pavlov

W 1856 1 PPSh-41

What number here is the quality rating, or am I looking at wrong thing?
02-16-2022, 03:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2022, 08:27 PM by Xerxes77.)
(02-16-2022, 02:52 PM)Barly Wrote: I have never really edited scenarios,
I suppose to do this the OOB needs to be edited?

I copied a small section from an OOB,

L 1855 6 6 Sgt Pavlov

W 1856 1 PPSh-41

What number here is the quality rating, or am I looking at wrong thing?

It's one of the sixes, but I don't recall which. But using the oob editor (sqoob.exe) is far simpler!
You can then save the new values and compare the file with a previous version to see which numbers have changed.
02-16-2022, 07:51 PM,
I used your technique on a different OOB and leader.

L 1048 5 74 Col. Dubovich
L 1048 7 74 0 Col. Dubovich

First group of numbers to a B leader.
Second group of numbers correspond to A+ leader.

I think I prefer normal text editing, it takes me a while to get the feel for programs and find text edits easy.

Thanks for the pointers.
02-16-2022, 08:28 PM,
(02-16-2022, 07:51 PM)Barly Wrote: I think I prefer normal text editing, it takes me a while to get the feel for programs and find text edits easy.

..maybe... but it's easy to make mistakes, just typing one extra space  somewhere can mean you create an error that is very hard to track down.

..and If you are getting your head round text editing OOB's, Scn and Dat files then I think you'll probably manage the built in editors without too much difficulty..and they have manuals to go along with them!
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
02-17-2022, 01:43 AM,
What Embis said!

And if you use my launcher (just posted a new version, wink wink) you'll get access to the different editors from a single point.

It also helps when validating .oobs and scenarios, as it will pick up problems that the stock utilities may ignore.