• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Varying Marsh Values in similar scenarios
02-12-2022, 03:04 PM,
Varying Marsh Values in similar scenarios
Hi
I hope this is not a stupid question but I have noticed in Minsk 44 scenarios - parameter values and Info box - the values for marsh can change between positive and negative values. In terrain such as swamp, I did not find this variation.

For example:
Rogachev (21a) Marsh -10%
Rogachev-Alt (21a) Marsh 10%

Rogachev (21) Marsh -10%
Rogachev_Alt (21) Marsh 10%

Rogachev (21b) Marsh -10%
Rogachev_Alt (21b) Marsh 10%

Can anyone explain to me why this is?

Thanks Mark
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2022, 04:03 PM,
RE: Varying Marsh Values in similar scenarios
The two values represent differing design choices. The Alt scenarios by Ed Williams are modified versions of the original scenarios and should now be considered the officially recommended scenarios.

In his "Minsk44 Alternate Campaign changes.doc" Ed says that:

"Adjusted PDT file marsh terrain protection levels from -20% to +10% (penalty). This was done to further make marsh terrain a “no-go” terrain type (besides the _Alt’s high movement modifier for marsh terrain), since, unlike swamp terrain types which has thickly wooded areas and hammocks (patches of dry ground), there is absolutely no cover available in a marsh environment which is made completely of submerged land with water growing vegetation. A soldier in a marsh would be unable to go into the prone position without lying under water so he would be restricted to kneeling at best."

John
02-12-2022, 04:14 PM,
RE: Varying Marsh Values in similar scenarios
(02-12-2022, 04:03 PM)Green Wrote: The two values represent differing design choices. The Alt scenarios by Ed Williams are modified versions of the original scenarios and should now be considered the officially recommended scenarios.

In his "Minsk44 Alternate Campaign changes.doc" Ed says that:

"Adjusted PDT file marsh terrain protection levels from -20% to +10% (penalty). This was done to further make marsh terrain a “no-go” terrain type (besides the _Alt’s high movement modifier for marsh terrain), since, unlike swamp terrain types which has thickly wooded areas and hammocks (patches of dry ground), there is absolutely no cover available in a marsh environment which is made completely of submerged land with water growing vegetation. A soldier in a marsh would be unable to go into the prone position without lying under water so he would be restricted to kneeling at best."

John

Many thanks John - appreciate the quick reply

Regards Mark