• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Berto's graphics
02-09-2022, 05:19 PM,
Berto's graphics
On TFE4 I found a graphics package for The Proud and the Few by 'Berto' - I guess the chap who is now the coder for the excellent CS Vietnam and the ACW series? See the pic below. I really love these graphics because they make an effort to scale things a little more realistically. However, I could only find for The Proud and the Few and the unit graphics don't transfer over easily to other titles - at least, I didn't know how to easily do it. I wish I had this style for all my SB titles. Anyone know of any other 'berto' graphics packages out there for other titles? Thanks. 

[Image: berto.png]
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2022, 12:06 AM,
RE: Berto's graphics
Thanks Phoenix for posting a screenshot.

I had to dig in my collection of SB files and I see I have had that mod since 2010 however, I don't recall ever seeing it before.

Nice Find!   Thumbs Up

You may want to get in touch with Berto as he is on here all the time. Maybe he had created others like the one you posted for different titles that may have never made it over to TF-Echo-4.

If you find more, please let us know.

Keep up the great work!
02-10-2022, 12:43 AM,
Thanks CR. I have messaged him.
02-10-2022, 02:37 AM,
(02-09-2022, 05:19 PM)phoenix Wrote: On TFE4 I found a graphics package for The Proud and the Few by 'Berto' - I guess the chap who is now the coder for the excellent CS Vietnam and the ACW series? 

Yes, the same guy.

I only made the mod for The Proud and the Few and Pacific War.  At the time, few if anybody expressed any appreciation for it.

With my heavy coding commitments, I am pretty much out of the graphics mod business.  No time for it.

You might know that WDS is working on a graphics overhaul of the SB series.  At WDS, I have made the point that I don't like the "bobbleheads" unit graphics; I much prefer unit graphics depicting or suggesting squads, not individual men (solo leaders).  Also, as in my SB mod, my preference for units drawn more to scale.  We'll see what develops.
02-10-2022, 03:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2022, 03:13 AM by phoenix.)
Thanks Berto. That would be a good direction, though I hope it doesn't simply move in the direction of the top-down alternative graphics, which don't really convey much of anything to me. I realise there are many who like them, but many who don't too.

Also, I would say I think the present landscape graphics are actually really nice (I'm speaking only of 2D as I don't play with 3D), though the contours visibility could use some re-working. But generally, I wish everything was drawn somehow to give a better impression of the scale of the units against the landscape, which is why I really liked your mod.

Whatever the changes I really hope the resolution of the sheets doesn't change so that for those who don't like whatever comes along next (as will happen) can find it easy to switch out for the old graphics. Generally, David has been very good at doing this in his changes.

Thanks.