• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tiny graphics mod
02-07-2022, 08:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2022, 08:13 PM by phoenix.)
Tiny graphics mod
I'm having great fun with Vietnam, ToD, Korea and Falklands, all just bought. Surprisingly, I'm finding that the AI is giving me a good fight - certainly good enough to make things quite challenging in many scenarios. 

I was using the slopes mod but am wary of it because I don't like losing the embankment feature in some scenarios. Plus I have found that in the very forested/jungle scenarios in Vietnam, ToD and Korea I cannot make out the contours in the hilly maps even using the slopes mod. So I messed around mixing and matching and came up with a terrain set that looks like it does in the picture below. As you can see, the contours are very visible. It's not so pretty for the flatter, rice paddy areas, so I use JSGME to swap it out for those scenarios where needed.  I post here in case anyone wanted me to upload the 2 very slightly modded terrain files in here for those who might not be bothered with the fiddling around required to mod your own files. Let me know if anyone's interested and I'll try to upload them. 

[Image: 1.png]
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2022, 08:22 PM,
RE: Tiny graphics mod
I would be interested in giving the files a go.
I have Korea and Vietnam Titles.
I like the look of the elevation and trees.
02-07-2022, 10:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2022, 10:23 PM by Embis.)
These look really nice and show up the differing elevations nicely, a very neat solution. I would certainly be interested in trying them out.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
02-07-2022, 10:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2022, 10:47 PM by phoenix.)
(02-07-2022, 10:19 PM)Embis Wrote: These look really nice and show up the differing elevations nicely, a very neat solution. I would certainly be interested in trying them out.

https://www.theblitz.club/uploads/files/...0hills.zip

There you go, if the link works....

They're Lowlanders AotR trees, I think - I just pasted them into the normal terrain files. Doesn't look like dense jungle anymore, but, hey, it's meant to be a map, not a photo, and I felt I really needed to see the hills and the shape of the land. I've used them in Vietnam and ToD.
02-07-2022, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2022, 11:35 PM by Xerxes77.)
Those look really nice, phoenix, very easy to see the different elevations. :-) Are those the original colors in Vietnam?

Just a clarification about the slopify program - it will always prompt you for confirmation before processing a map that already contains embankments. I wanted to make sure the decision was up to the user. Furthermore, you can select "No to all" and it will skip them automatically with no extra prompting.
02-08-2022, 04:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2022, 04:16 AM by phoenix.)
Thanks Xerxes. Original colours? Can't remember what I've messed around with, but I think so. The colours, I found were very visible once the trees were out of the way.

It's a great mod, the slopes mod. If I skip all the embankments what happens? They remain as embankments and everywhere else the contours appear as slopes?
02-08-2022, 05:29 AM,
(02-08-2022, 04:15 AM)phoenix Wrote: It's a great mod, the slopes mod. If I skip all the embankments what happens? They remain as embankments and everywhere else the contours appear as slopes?

Thanks! Smile No, unfortunately slopes and embankments cannot coexist in the same map, as they use the same graphic.

If the program finds at least one embankment, it will ask the user's permission to replace *all* embankments with slopes. If the user says no, the program will just leave the map alone and move on to the next one. It's a safe procedure, especially when combined with JSGME.