• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

updating the forums?
02-03-2022, 06:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 06:50 PM by Embis.)
updating the forums?
Hi all,
...At the risk of being accused of heresy.. 

I have been looking at this two tone blue colour scheme for more years than I care to remember and I really think it's time to get the decorators in and splash some new paint about. (Although my date of joining is recorded as 2011 I was actually here long before that. I must have allowed my membership to lapse at some point, I was one of the original Leadeaters in the 90's)

I just wondered if we could think about updating the bulletin boards? 

I think this version is now about 20 years old, it is certainly looking rather dated and likely to become unsupported soon if it isn't already. As far as I can see we should be able to port old messages over to an upgrade. 

Is there is a way changing the settings at my end that i am unaware of? please let me know if there is, or am I doomed to look at these two shades of blue for the next 20 years as well?

...what say we move into the 21st Century?

...ok, shall I go and stand on the pyre now? Fire Witch
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2022, 09:12 PM,
RE: updating the forums?
As a relative newbie here, I second the motion!
02-04-2022, 12:07 AM,
I, for one, live by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". When they put out another version of windows, the first thing I do is find the classical look and switch back. Besides, the more time somebody puts into that change, the more time is taken away from new titles and possible updates. I vote to leave it alone.
02-04-2022, 03:26 AM,
Maybe a good idea for a poll. I'm an oldie but perhaps we should move with the times so yes a more modern forum would get my vote.
02-04-2022, 07:18 AM,
When a new windows comes out I open my Linux system and see that it’s already up-to-date that needs nothing new, and I smile.

I’m rather new to this forum, and to the blitz, so I vote abstain. However, I think it would be neat to be able to customize your own colors in the forum. At least a dark mode and light mode, but if you could customize it yourself to whatever colors you like, That would be awesome
02-04-2022, 07:49 AM,
We had this discussion not long ago and the vote was to leave everything as is. The bulletin board software this site uses is open-source, meaning free. It is kept up-to-date by our webmaster, Raz, who also works for free, so we often have to wait, sometimes quite a while, for Raz to have time to run updates. Only admins can change the basic look to the colors, which isn't difficult. There are also a ton of templates to do more extensive changes to the look and feel. My problem is if I break something, I'm not sure I can fix it.

Thus our dilemma, who here has the web programming skills, Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP to work on site issues? And who is willing to work for free? We're always looking for people. If you, or someone you know, wants the job please speak up and we'll talk about it.

If the consensus is color changes, I'm certainly willing to give it a shot. <gulp>

Thanks,
Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email