• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

4.0 changes
01-10-2022, 02:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 02:27 AM by Ricky B.)
4.0 changes
You guys are being a tough crew these days, the silence is deafening. I have even had some comments from non PzB members about the lack of response to the WDS changes, year-end awards, and everything.

So maybe this will generate some excitement. For those playing the games, the WDS updates did fix the artillery issue that some have been waiting for, and also tweaked the bunkers.

From the changelog:

• The Alternative Assault Resolution (AAR) optional rule has been ported from Panzer Campaigns. The AAR rule has been adjusted so that Bunkers, Pillboxes and Forts are not considered hard targets for assaults. All units use their assault values rather than their hard values when attacking a fortification. This rule is on by default.
  • Revised the indirect fire algorithm to not scale down firepower when adjusting for target stacking sizes below that of half the maximum allowable stacking size.
And new scenarios. Many other changes too, but these are the big ones, in my mind.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2022, 02:58 AM,
RE: 4.0 changes
I've slowly been looking at PzB Normandy in between Panzer Campaign PBEM matches.

As with Panzer Campaigns, the changed bunker rules are greatly appreciated.

Is there a list for new/added scenarios somewhere? Checked around and didn't see one.
01-10-2022, 05:06 AM,
Hey Al, good to hear from you. I tried the Omaha landing scenario before the release, to see if the bunker change broke its balance. It still seemed right, at least against the AI. A bloody chaotic mess, although one bunker fell that I always struggled with when I tested the early versions I worked on.

I posted earlier that at least North Africa had a couple of new ones included but I don't think I called them out specifically. They were hypothetical 2 day scenarios of Rommel's planned attack on Tobruk, planned for just a couple of days after Crusader kicked off. 1 just the attack on the fortress and the other including the rest of the main forces as the Eighth Army attacks to relieve the defenders.

I am working on another too. It is the historical start of Crusader over probably 3 days, much larger and longer than any of the original scenarios for Crusader. Replacement rules and all. Probably ready this spring.

Rick
01-10-2022, 05:13 AM,
(01-10-2022, 05:06 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Hey Al, good to hear from you. I tried the Omaha landing scenario before the release, to see if the bunker change broke its balance. It still seemed right, at least against the AI. A bloody chaotic mess, although one bunker fell that I always struggled with when I tested the early versions I worked on.

I posted earlier that at least North Africa had a couple of new ones included but I don't think I called them out specifically. They were hypothetical 2 day scenarios of Rommel's planned attack on Tobruk, planned for just a couple of days after Crusader kicked off. 1 just the attack on the fortress and the other including the rest of the main forces as the Eighth Army attacks to relieve the defenders.

I am working on another too. It is the historical start of Crusader over probably 3 days, much larger and longer than any of the original scenarios for Crusader. Replacement rules and all. Probably ready this spring.

Rick

Picked up this series in the recent Winyer sale along with the bulk order discount got myself quite a bargain. Not got time to play just yet however. And worried also that I will play very badly Panzer Campaigns has been my thing for years it looks the same but get the feeling that what works in one wont work in the other and old habbits are hard to break.
01-10-2022, 05:41 AM,
Great to hear. The series is different enough that you do need to get familiar with the major differences. I can't remember is someone did a summary way back on that? I would say they are primarily
  • Ranged fire and longer visibility ranges, in hexes
  • Units in covering terrain can avoid being spotted until they move or fire. You can set rules for your units for defensive fire and keep that hidden status. That is a part I always forget about.
  • Air is plotted and resolved the next turn
  • Supply rules are much more limited and low ammo only impacts artillery. I am not sure about fuel any more, I don't recall and very few current scenarios go through a night. I haven't played any that made it that far.
Artillery is mostly the same except spotting rules. Spotters can't move before spotting, so it makes it generally impossible to fire on targets you spot during your turn if they started out of LOS. The Normandy landings can be one exception as turn 1 units arrive and trigger spotting of defenders that are in the open but not showing to on map landing craft until a change happens.

I would suggest starting with North Africa as it has more open, easier to play scenarios overall, in my opinion. If you want to try one HTH to get some discussion during play, I have time for a smaller one.

Rick
01-10-2022, 10:09 PM,
Hello All !

It is indeed quiet here lately.

I've been tinkering with the new tweaks to Panzer Battles Kursk

Hey - it is a better game now !

Most noticeable : the higher rate of Disruption and Broken units.
And this also effects the A Quality units.

Artillery/mortars now effectively harm even smaller units that were often
unaffected - often those A rated German platoons that stayed rock-steady.

The Germans are now at both a higher risk of assault conditions as well as to
clearly repulse an enemy advance.  The Red Army now has some hope to get to
close range when their small-arms and artillery effectively makes the Germans vulnerable. 

This is good - fewer "super units" that survive everything to the last breath.

Yup - this is a better deal now.

Gentlemen of WDS - very nice work, indeed !

Just my two cents.

Tom S.
5 Leichte Div
01-11-2022, 03:49 AM,
Good to hear how Kursk looks. Thanks for sharing all that Tom.
01-11-2022, 07:35 AM,
(01-10-2022, 10:09 PM)5 Leichte Div Wrote: Hello All !

close range when their small-arms and artillery effectively makes the Germans vulnerable. 

Just my two cents.

Tom S.
5 Leichte Div

Great feedback, Tom.

Among the PDT value changes you will notice that the Fatigue Factors for Kursk and Normandy are both now 3, as you suggested. I think this is a big improvement. 

John
01-13-2022, 05:39 PM,
(01-11-2022, 07:35 AM)Green Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 10:09 PM)5 Leichte Div Wrote: Hello All !

Just my two cents.

Tom S.
5 Leichte Div

Great feedback, Tom.

Among the PDT value changes you will notice that the Fatigue Factors for Kursk and Normandy are both now 3, as you suggested. I think this is a big improvement. 

John

Hello , Green.

To elaborate further about the 4.0 update to PzB.

A friend and I played through most of the Demo a few years ago. The Demo is a Fatigue 3 which was a new patch correction at the time. 

We played both of the Hannut scenarios. The Germans were clearly better as they had better weapons which were able to reach out and Disrupt (my) French forces' movement front and back. I was bothered plenty from the Disruptions, that all told did slow my movement efforts. This became a tactical dilemma anywhere near the front lines for my hapless French forces.

So, in sum with the Demo's Fatigue Factor 3 the effects there was more of a sense of activity. The affected units were a consideration and decisions were required for the French concerns. This was rather a nice touch in the play.
Also, the air interdiction effects was another thing to consider as well.  Nice !

Later, we played some PB Kursk.  This one used the original Fatigue Factor 2 setting.  You could definitely tell the lesser sense of variety of effects.  The "super units" resultingly just seemed too unlikely given the casualty ratios.
The Germans were too unaffected by heavy losses. 

We did like Kursk - but questioned the durability of units that occurred.

I have not yet tested the Assault rule change , but I will say that in PB Kursk my foe had an almost impossible effort to capture Pillbox positions.  The change should be a better deal for these operations.

Just my two Cents , again.

Ciao

Tom S.
5 Leichte Div