• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bulge ferry/isolation
01-08-2022, 06:24 AM,
c_Question Mark  Bulge ferry/isolation
Playing 1601alt as germans and you have 2 units that start out isolated but in the hex above one of them is an engineer unit in travel mode.  Is that unit only isolated because the engineer is in travel mode?  The wording in the manual has me slightly confused When an engineer capable of ferrying units across a river exists,...  Is this to mean that some engineer units arent capable of ferrying or just means like i think and that they are isolated ONLY because he is in travel mode.
cheers
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2022, 06:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2022, 07:46 AM by ComradeP.)
RE: Bulge ferry/isolation
One of the units is indeed only Isolated because the engineer unit adjacent to it is in T-mode. The other unit would still be Isolated in its starting position if the engineers switch to Deployed/regular movement mode, as it's not adjacent to the engineer unit across the river.

An engineer unit is only capable of ferrying units across a river if the engineer unit is not in T-mode. You can find a full description in section 7.5 (JTS, Bulge Gold release) or 8.5 (WDS) of the user manual.

The various other German units across rivers are not isolated because supply is traced along a convoluted path through American lines.
01-08-2022, 07:32 AM,
(01-08-2022, 06:53 AM)ComradeP Wrote: One of the units is indeed only Isolated because the engineer unit adjacent to it is in T-mode. The other unit would still be Isolated in its starting position if the engineers switch to Deployed/regular movement mode, as it's not adjacent to the engineer unit across the river.

An engineer unit is only capable of ferrying units across a river if the engineer unit is not in T-mode. You can find a full description in section 7.5 (JTS, Bulge Gold release) or 8.5 (WDS) of the user manual.

The various other German units across rivers are not isolated because supply is traced along a convoluted path through American lines.

Thanks for response, now can you delete that last bit before my opponent sees lol
cheers
01-08-2022, 07:48 AM,
Sure.

The situation in 1601alt is not as challenging from a supply perspective as in the Herbstnebel scenario where a larger number of German units start Isolated.
01-08-2022, 07:57 AM,
(01-08-2022, 07:32 AM)lezgo killemall Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 06:53 AM)ComradeP Wrote: One of the units is indeed only Isolated because the engineer unit adjacent to it is in T-mode. The other unit would still be Isolated in its starting position if the engineers switch to Deployed/regular movement mode, as it's not adjacent to the engineer unit across the river.

Thanks for response, now can you delete that last bit before my opponent sees lol

hi to late now i know your whole german plan now:)
01-08-2022, 11:48 AM,
(01-08-2022, 07:57 AM)smurf309 Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 07:32 AM)lezgo killemall Wrote:

hi to late now i know your whole german plan now:)

Helmet Wink
cheers
01-09-2022, 07:58 AM,

Hopefully this won't be a spoiler for the players playing. Both look to be quite seasoned players and in fact smurf309 has defeated me easily without breaking sweat. <g> There isn't much the US player can do since his units start off Fixed anyway. 

Here is the gap.

[Image: gap.png]

Shifting the starting position of the US Battalion to the north west of the gap one hex hex south east would close it but possibly the scenario designers have designed the scenario to allow German units over the river to the south to stay in supply for the first few turns until the bridges were built. Design for effect?

Because of the gap all the units in the south circled are still in supply apart from the two units in the far south. But these are good B rated units so they only drop to C for iso. Echternach is the goal for the 212th but I think the best thing to do is move the Engineers one hex sw and start building the bridge next turn due south over the Sauer. 

[Image: iso.png]

Something like this. Try not to RUBBLE Echternach as it screws up road movement for getting your artillery across and moving south west.

[Image: assault.png]

Good luck in the game!

Ian
01-09-2022, 10:49 AM,
Thanks Ian.  I believe I secured the gap this past turn so I may be okay there, we will see.
cheers