• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

F 40 Gold search engine problem
01-05-2022, 05:30 PM,
F 40 Gold search engine problem
If I try to find the French 14th ID the search engine will send me to the Belgian 14th Infantry. Search QG de la 14e and the engine will send you ONLY to the Belgian division no matter which of two identical results you choose. This is a problem because there are about 1 zillion counters on a gigantic map. The French 14th isn't attached to any Corps or Army so it means searching the entire map trying to find it or its commander.  jonny 

* footnote: The same problem exists in F 14 too; but the Belgian Army is much smaller in 1914 with far fewer divisions. In 1940 it is way bigger and there are a much larger number of correspondences.
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2022, 09:14 AM,
RE: F 40 Gold search engine problem
(01-05-2022, 05:30 PM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: If I try to find the French 14th ID the search engine will send me to the Belgian 14th Infantry. Search QG de la 14e and the engine will send you ONLY to the Belgian division no matter which of two identical results you choose. This is a problem because there are about 1 zillion counters on a gigantic map. The French 14th isn't attached to any Corps or Army so it means searching the entire map trying to find it or its commander.  jonny 

* footnote: The same problem exists in F 14 too; but the Belgian Army is much smaller in 1914 with far fewer divisions. In 1940 it is way bigger and there are a much larger number of correspondences.

Yes, this is a bit weird. I will see whether it is happening in other games. It seems to focus on the left most counter on map, no matter which 'selection' you choose. Even if it had the hex co-ordinates it would help.

i found the French division by searching for one of its sub-formations - just FYI.
01-07-2022, 08:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2022, 08:47 PM by ComradeP.)
The same goes for the HQ's of the 2e DI and 4e DI, and probably for other units where multiple counters have the same name.

What is a bit curious about this problem is that you search through the OOB with the "Find unit" dialogue, not through on-map units. I expected that the unit ID in the OOB would be used to find the unit, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You only get the Find error "Unable to find selected unit on the map" prompt when you select a unit amongst the search results that arrives as a reinforcement later on. Clicking on units that are not present will simply return you to the map without an error message and without the hex selection changing.

It still picks the leftmost result (X coordinate closest to zero) instead of the result from the OOB regardless of whether you select the French or Belgian unit from the search result.
01-08-2022, 08:17 AM,
(01-07-2022, 08:39 PM)ComradeP Wrote: The same goes for the HQ's of the 2e DI and 4e DI, and probably for other units where multiple counters have the same name.

What is a bit curious about this problem is that you search through the OOB with the "Find unit" dialogue, not through on-map units. I expected that the unit ID in the OOB would be used to find the unit, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You only get the Find error "Unable to find selected unit on the map" prompt when you select a unit amongst the search results that arrives as a reinforcement later on. Clicking on units that are not present will simply return you to the map without an error message and without the hex selection changing.

It still picks the leftmost result (X coordinate closest to zero) instead of the result from the OOB regardless of whether you select the French or Belgian unit from the search result.

Yes, that’s how I am seeing it. It’s rare we have identically named units so I’m not surprised this is only just being noticed.