• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tactics
01-02-2022, 03:21 PM,
Help  Tactics
Can anyone point me to some tactical articles?  I am at a loss for armored combat, I just cannot get the swing of it.
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2022, 12:32 AM,
RE: Tactics
In addition to some suggestions in the game manual there are many books out there: https://www.google.com/search?q=tank+tac...nt=gws-wiz

If you want some in game insights shoot me a PBEM game turn and we can walk through some tactics. Red Steel at Fedarovka is a small and good one in East Front. esilcoxjr(at)gmail(dot)com

Farmer

HSL
01-03-2022, 01:16 PM,
JW,

Some principles for using armor in CS:

1) If you're playing with armor facing "ON", try your best to keep your tanks' frontal armor facing the heaviest enemy fire.

2) In built-up terrain, let your infantry find out what's in the villages/city/suburbs/industrial areas first. You typically have more infantry, and once they have identified targets and absorbed some of the opportunity fire, move your tanks in and blast those targets. This is especially true later in the war when British, American and German troops have capable anti-tank weapons, like PIATs, bazookas and panzerfausts.

3) Know your tanks' capabilities vs. those of your opponents. For example, Tigers and Panther tanks can kill T-34s and Shermans at long-range, but are vulnerable to the those tanks at close range. So it's best to keep the big cats at a distance, if possible and use their long-range gunnery to maximize your advantage. Panzer IVs can also take out Allied tanks at long ranges, but they have jaws of glass, so it's best not to expose them to any fire, especially later in the war when the Soviets have T-34/85s and the Allies have up-gunned Shermans and Fireflies.

4) If you want to ensure hits on an enemy, it's best to mass the fire of several platoons at once. For whatever reason, this seem to work better than firing with tanks as individual platoons.

5) Whenever possible, try to mass your armor. Don't send your armor off in several different directions at once. Pick a target or an objective and send all of your armor against it. You have a chance of overwhelming the enemy and tanks that are massed can also protect each other with opportunity fire.

6) Scoot-shoot-scoot is a valid tactic for armor in CS. Move your armor into position to fire, get off a shot, and then move back into cover. Just beware of enemy opportunity fire.

Hope this helps!
01-03-2022, 01:21 PM,
If you want some general real-life German tank tactics, this guy has pretty good videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TAvVnV2xkc

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email