• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

RBR and Eylau campaigns dismounted dragoons problem
12-28-2021, 07:44 AM,
RBR and Eylau campaigns dismounted dragoons problem
In RBR and Eylau campaigns dismounted dragoons used sabers! This is a serious bug or my version is so broken.
I have the newest version both games. And yes in all scenarios they used sabres when they are dismounted like some medival warband it seems that somone make some error. The joy of play fly away. In WDS technical staf know nothing.
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2021, 12:41 AM,
RE: RBR and Eylau campaigns dismounted dragoons problem
From what Bill has said, this is an intentional decision. The major issue is, on the battlefields that are in the games, how often did dragoons fight dismounted? Not often at all. Generally the carbines were for the "small war" (raiding, scouting and the like). On these battlefields, they would be kept on their horses. So, they are armed with swords only, to encourage players to use them in that way.
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine
12-30-2021, 02:35 AM,
(12-30-2021, 12:41 AM)Gary McClellan Wrote: From what Bill has said, this is an intentional decision.  The major issue is, on the battlefields that are in the games, how often did dragoons fight dismounted? Not often at all.  Generally the carbines were for the "small war" (raiding, scouting and the like).  On these battlefields, they would be kept on their horses.  So, they are armed with swords only, to encourage players to use them in that way.

Thank you Gary for explain! It convinces me. Rich from WDS also explain me that is a intenational decision.
They should made some notice in scenario description on maybe in designer notes, to clear this. In other way how play dismounted french dragoons in Biezun scenario. They have low chance stand assault of the prussian infantry in this way, but in other hand in real they didn't hold village two long so is a logical.
But game is great, and especially when I know what I can expect for dismounted dragoons:))
I'm back to wade through frozen East Prussia.
Thank you, and All the Best!
03-28-2022, 04:29 AM,
(12-30-2021, 02:35 AM)TytusDeZoo82 Wrote:
(12-30-2021, 12:41 AM)Gary McClellan Wrote: From what Bill has said, this is an intentional decision.  The major issue is, on the battlefields that are in the games, how often did dragoons fight dismounted? Not often at all.  Generally the carbines were for the "small war" (raiding, scouting and the like).  On these battlefields, they would be kept on their horses.  So, they are armed with swords only, to encourage players to use them in that way.

Thank you Gary for explain! It convinces me. Rich from WDS also explain me that is a intenational decision.
They should made some notice in scenario description on maybe in designer notes, to clear this. In other way how play dismounted french dragoons in Biezun scenario. They have low chance stand assault of the prussian infantry in this way, but in other hand in real they didn't hold village two long so is a logical.
But game is great, and especially when I know what I can expect for dismounted dragoons:))
I'm back to wade through frozen East Prussia.
Thank you, and All the Best!

Wouldn't the best way for handling dragoons in all the black titles be to take note of the weapon special flags used in the EAW series, like the "cannot shoot while mounted" flag, and adding it to the other games?

So you can arm your dragoons w carbines, musketoons or actual muskets, whatever they were actually armed with, but use the flag in the PDT so they cannot shoot while mounted, if that is the scenario designers intent, yet be historically armed when they dismount.
03-29-2022, 01:36 PM,
(03-28-2022, 04:29 AM)TheGrayMouser Wrote: Wouldn't the best way for handling dragoons in all the black titles be to take note of the weapon special flags used in the EAW series, like the "cannot shoot while mounted" flag, and adding it to the other games?

So you can arm your dragoons w carbines, musketoons or actual muskets, whatever they were actually armed with, but use the flag in the PDT so they cannot shoot while mounted, if that is the scenario designers intent, yet be historically armed when they dismount.

A very interesting idea!   Thumbs Up