• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

'Red Star over Europe' cross compatible with Vietnam AND TOD
12-19-2021, 06:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2021, 10:31 PM by Embis.)
'Red Star over Europe' cross compatible with Vietnam AND TOD
I think its been noted elsewhere that Mikes SBWW2 mod works with both AotR AND Red Victory. 

I have just found out that 'Red Star Over Europe'  works with both 'Vietnam' and 'Tour of Duty'

So if you have either 'ToD' or 'Vietnam' you can now download and play Iron X's fantastic Cold war SB  Mod, 'Red Star Over Europe'

PBEM Players please note: 
If you are wanting to play a PBEM game, both players will need to be using the same base game. An 'RSOE' PBEM with a base game of 'ToD' wont work with a file from one based on 'Vietnam'.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2021, 06:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2021, 06:57 PM by Embis.)
This Just In  RE: 'Red Star over Europe' cross compatible with Vietnam AND TOD
..RSOE will also work with 'Soviet Afghan War' as the base game.
Napoleon I
12-19-2021, 09:05 PM,
RE: 'Red Star over Europe' cross compatible with Vietnam AND TOD
Good point about the same versions! I've found that although the mods will work in multiple versions of the series, BOTH players need the same version (title) Ran into this a few years ago when I briefly used Pacific War as the base game then switched back to AoTR!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-19-2021, 10:26 PM,
This mod sounds great.May I ask where I can download it?
Serve the people!
12-20-2021, 12:52 AM,
(12-19-2021, 10:26 PM)JasonHanLZ Wrote: This mod sounds great.May I ask where I can download it?

I have a copy I have emailed you a link.
Napoleon I
12-20-2021, 03:03 AM,
Flare For #2  RE: 'Red Star over Europe' cross compatible with Vietnam AND TOD
(12-20-2021, 12:52 AM)Embis Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 10:26 PM)JasonHanLZ Wrote: This mod sounds great.May I ask where I can download it?

Thank you!
Serve the people!
12-20-2021, 03:04 AM,
(12-20-2021, 12:52 AM)Embis Wrote:

Thanks!
Serve the people!
12-26-2021, 07:25 AM,
(12-19-2021, 06:09 PM)Embis Wrote: I think its been noted elsewhere that Mikes SBWW2 mod works with both AotR AND Red Victory. 

I have just found out that 'Red Star Over Europe'  works with both 'Vietnam' and 'Tour of Duty'

So if you have either 'ToD' or 'Vietnam' you can now download and play Iron X's fantastic Cold war SB  Mod, 'Red Star Over Europe'

PBEM Players please note: 
If you are wanting to play a PBEM game, both players will need to be using the same base game. An 'RSOE' PBEM with a base game of 'ToD' wont work with a file from one based on 'Vietnam'.

Is the "Africa at War" mod also compatible with different base games or only with Pacific?
12-27-2021, 04:05 AM,
WargameGeneral wrote:
Quote:Is the "Africa at War" mod also compatible with different base games or only with Pacific?

Yes.
I have got it to work with Eagles Strike as the base game.

I suspect that any Mod that has been built on a WW2 original game will work in any other WW2 base game and any Mod based on a post WW2 original game will work on any other post ww2 base game. Thats been my experience in the experiments i have conducted so far.

I don't know to what extent WW1 or SCW can be used as a donor games, I have never tried them.

The only way to find out if a combination will work is to try it. The worst that can happen is that it wont work.

Generic instructions for installing a whole game MOD (such as RSOE, Africa at war, Arab Israeili war etc) Are as follows:

In these instructions the term 'Donor game' refers to whatever base game you have decided to use to install your Mod into
  • Make a folder and name it with the name of your chosen MOD
  • copy the entire contents of the donor game into that dir
  • delete all the .OOb, .SCN , .Map .cpd .pdt from your new MOD directory
  • unzip the mod into your new MOD directory and accept all the overwrite warnings

Then just boot the game up and see if it works.

You can use JGME if you like, but my preference is to have a standalone game installed permanently rather than mess about with JGME, and there is no real advantage to using JGME that I can see if its a game you will be playing regularly.
Napoleon I
01-03-2022, 06:14 PM,
As I have expanded my experimentation it Looks like most mods can be played with most games set as the base game. I just got RSOE and SBWW2 to work with Modern War. I haven't tested everything yet but the scenarios can certainly all be played and the editors work.

This is particularly good news because 'Modern War' has many of the features activated which aren't present in earlier games in the SB series such as the ability to toggle civilian status for units and, I think, the addition of a Timer for demolition charges. This opens up many more options for scenario designers.

So all the Modders out there might consider publicising this cross compatibility to gain more play of your mods rather than just describing a game in terms of the base game that the work originally began on.

With a 'whole game' mod like 'Warhorse's' SBWW2 installing is as simple as copying a base games folder, renaming the folder. then deleting everything except the .exe files and unzipping the mod into that folder.
Napoleon I