• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question on Serbia 14 ?
12-18-2021, 05:03 AM,
Question on Serbia 14 ?
I would like some opinions on Serbia how is this game it is the only that I don't have. how does it compare to the other WWI games in the Series.
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2021, 06:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-18-2021, 06:22 AM by jonnymacbrown.)
RE: Question on Serbia 14 ?
(12-18-2021, 05:03 AM)Landser34 Wrote: I would like some opinions on Serbia how is this game it is the only that I don't have. how does it compare to the other WWI games in the Series.
The 1914 campaigns are very playable. There aren't that many units (both sides) and the scope is limited.
At the same time there is plenty of action going on all the time with plenty of room to maneuver. The two armies (A-H and Serbian) have different capabilities, strengths and weaknesses. All the short scenarios are exciting as well. Mex Big Grin Lots of fun. jonny
12-18-2021, 07:40 AM,
It has a unique playstyle. Many but low quality/brittle A-H units and high quality Serbians once they are at the front. The Chetnik partisans are a nightmare for A-H but it all comes together wonderfully. Really captures the campaign.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
12-18-2021, 11:32 AM,
I like it. I've played two of the shorter campaigns, as well as some smaller scenarios.

The terrain is much harder than in France, but not nearly as maddening as dealing with the Masurian lakes and all of those rivers...
12-18-2021, 08:31 PM,
Though the armies in each FWWC game have their own unique traits and associated playstyle, Serbia '14 in my opinion more variety in terms of campaigns and forces involved than the two other titles.

In France '14, field guns and machineguns rule the battlefield. After the opening days, the situation can become much more like the mid-late war Western Front. It can be difficult to keep the frontline moving, with Entente units digging in like ticks as a defensive deployment is quite effective.

In East Prussia '14, an outnumbered but more flexible German force faces a numerically strong Russian force that is handicapped by poor C&C and supply. The Austro-Hungarian infantry forces in the later stages of the Lodz campaign add flavour but don't change the way you're fighting as the Central Powers.

In Serbia '14, the inclusion of the 4th Invasion makes all the difference. The first 3 invasion campaigns feature Austro-Hungarian forces of a widely varying quality facing usually B quality Serbian forces. In the 1st invasion you're fighting in more open terrain in the north-western tip of Serbia. In the other two invasion campaigns, you'll end up fighting over hills and mountains a bit to the south. The situation is different, the forces are similar in all invasion scenarios.

The 4th invasion campaign is very enjoyable to play and offers plenty of strategic options for both sides. It also includes German, Bulgarian, Montenegrin and Entente forces as the battle rages all over Serbia. There's an AAR for a 4th invasion campaign in the AAR section of the forum.

I wasn't sure what Serbia '14 would offer when I bought it, but I liked it more than France '14 and East Prussia '14. Volcano Man managed to balance all sides, emphasizing their strengths without making them overpowered and highlighting weaknesses without crippling them.
12-19-2021, 02:18 AM,
I can't really expand on ComradeP's excellent summery of S14, we are currently playing the 4th Campaign and have reached turn 120, this is by far the most enjoyable campaign with lots of variable strategies and a really interesting force mix and as ComradeP said you get to utilize a part of the vast map not covered in the earlier campaigns which are of course also fun in their own right.

The most fun part of the whole FWWC series is that you need to adjust your playing style depending on which nation you are playing and over the series there are a whole host of them to try out, I am leaning the strengths/weaknesses of the Bulgarian army at the moment, with varied success.......... Wink

If you enjoyed the first two titles I cannot see why the third instalment would disappoint.
12-19-2021, 08:16 PM,
I add my voice to the praise to Serbia 14, in my opinion the best FWWC game of the three.
A-H is the thoughest and funniest side to play across all JTS/WDS games so far.
12-21-2021, 03:07 AM,
(12-19-2021, 08:16 PM)Andrea G Wrote: I add my voice to the praise to Serbia 14, in my opinion the best FWWC game of the three.
A-H is the thoughest and funniest side to play across all JTS/WDS games so far.
They have some really good artillery and cavalry.  jonny Mex Big Grin