• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Looking for opponents [matchmaking]
03-28-2022, 09:51 AM,
This Just In  RE: Looking for opponents [matchmaking]
(12-09-2021, 12:22 PM)Eckerslyke Wrote: I am interested in getting some experience of naval battling over the network.  My only wargaming experience to date has been PBEM.

I own Tsushima, and plan to get Midway soon.

Would anyone out there be interested in trying out battling in real time?

With getting on for 400 views of my initial invitation (quoted above), but only two responses,
it occurred to me that the prospect of setting up a networked battle might be daunting for some.

Therefore I thought I should list the steps I took to get my own networked battle working.

My computer is running Windows 10.

There is no guarantee that this will work for you.  I accept no responsibility for any  consequences arising from your copying the series of steps I took, which are listed below.

Never ever do this type of connecting with anyone you don't/can't trust.
A lot of the steps were intended to prevent strangers from connecting to the server without warning,
but as soon as you let them in, all bets are off.

A - Setting up my router
------------------------
A 1.  In a command window, I typed 'ipconfig' and pressed Enter, noting the value for 'Default Gateway'.

A 2.  I opened a browser window with the four groups of non-hex digits, i.e. nnn.nnn.n.n

A 3.  I reached the login for the router.  I did not know the password.

A 4.  I took a shot at it having been left set to the default.

A 5.  I got in!  'You are using default password.  Please change the password'

A 6.  I changed the password, scratched the new password into the plastic fascia of the device.

(Stickers come unstuck!)

A 7.  Under the 'Advanced' tab, I found 'Port Forwarding'.  I selected 'Enable'.

A 8.  I clicked the 'Add service' button.  I rejected the presets, choosing 'Other' as the type.

A 9.  I selected the connected device on which I want to run the battle.  I checked 'Add'.

A 10.  I noted the server address fields were automatically populated so I didn't need to type them.

(The names which follow were chosen arbitrarily, to help me track what I did when I encounter them in years to come and wonder why the ports are being forwarded.)

A 11.  I named the new service 'Hamachi Initiator', type TCP, 12975 as both starting and ending port.

A 12.  I hit 'Save', and noted the new service had been added to the list.

A 13.  I repeated A 7 to A 11, with name 'Hamachi Session' type TCP, and port 32976.

A 14.  I repeated A 7 to A 11, with name 'Relay Connection', type UDP, port 17771.

A 15.  I repeated A 7 to A 11 with name 'DirectPlay Server', TCP/UDP, port 47624.

A 16.  I repeated A 7 to A 11 with name 'DirectPlay8', TCP/UDP, port 6073.

A 17.  I repeated A 7 to A 11 with name 'DirectPlay7', TCP/UDP, port range 2300 to 2400.

B.  Preparing to set up a VPN
-----------------------------
B 1.  I downloaded Hamachi (free version) from the official site, VPN.net

B 2.  I ran the Hamachi installer, it appeared in my list of adapters in Network Connections, 'enabled'.

B 3.  In the Hamachi window, I clicked Top left corner, System, Preferences.

B 4.  I clicked the Security tab. Made sure that top box was checked off. (Everyone starts off blocked.)

B 5.  I clicked the Settings tab.  I clicked the Advanced button.

B 6.  I Scrolled down to Peer Connections, checked that Encryption was enabled with Compression 'any'.

B 7.  I clicked the big Hamachi button to start.  I was presented with a screen inviting me to log in.

B 8.  I registered and logged in.

B 9.  My opponent had already set up a Hamachi network, and sent me the Network ID and password.

B 10.  I clicked on Network, Join an existing server, typed in the information.

B 11.  My opponent chose 'Trust' from 'Trust/Don't Trust'.

B 12.  I right-clicked on the opponent's computer entry, it said 'blocked'.

B 13.  I clicked on 'details', 'more info', 'Trust/Don't Trust', I chose Trust.

B 14.  I right-clicked the opponent's computer name, hit 'ping'.  Successful.

B 15.  My opponent pinged my computer successfully.

B 16.  After testing, I double-clicked my opponent's server entry in Hamachi to deactivate it.

B 17.  I hit the power button at top left.

B 18.  In the bottom right of the Windows taskbar, I right-clicked the Hamachi icon and chose 'Exit'.

C.  Precautions to make sure Hamachi only loads when required for battling:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
C 1.  In Task Manager, Startup tab, I found the Hamachi entry, and set Status to 'Disabled'.

C 2.  I went to Settings, Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network Connections

C 3.  I right-clicked Hamachi adapter, Properties, highlighted TCP/IPv4, hit Properties.

C 4.  I ensured that Automatic was unchecked, and Interface metric was a high number (9000).

C 5.  I checked my normal wifi adapter, made sure it was set to 'Automatic'.

After a subsequent reboot, I tested the setup:

I got online successfully, Hamachi didn't load automatically, the Hamachi adapter stayed grayed out.

D.  Letting Hamachi through the firewall.
-----------------------------------------
D 1.  I went to Control panel, System and Security, Windows Defender Firewall

D 2.  I chose Advanced settings, Action tab, Properties

D 3.  I got the screen for Domain Profile, Firewall state section.

D 4.  I clicked 'Customize' button for Protected network connections.

D 5.  On the next page, I unchecked Hamachi entry in the list of network connections.  Hit OK.

D 6.  I returned to the Properties screen, repeated steps 4 and 5 for Private Profile.

D 7.  I returned to the Properties screen, repeated steps 4 and 5 for Public Profile.

D 8.  I exited Control Panel and proceeded to testing.

E. Testing:
-----------
E 1.  I started Hamachi.

E 2.  I hit the Hamachi power button, it woke up the adapter.

E 3.  My opponent's server already showed from our previous connection.

E 4.  I double clicked on my opponent's server to connect.

E 5.  I loaded Midway, selected a scenario, chose DirectPlay host, and began the battle.

E 6.  I did not get the firewall message, so I went to Start menu, 'Windows Firewall' to check.

E 7.  I found the battle title in the list, and ensured that both boxes were checked.

E 8.  I informed my opponent of my Hamachi IP address (which was already visible).

E 9. When my opponent joined battle, (without Fog of War), we checked that we could see movements of the other side.

I hope the above may be of interest to anyone inclined to take the plunge (to the bottom of the Pacific, perhaps?!)
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2022, 03:29 AM,
RE: Looking for opponents [matchmaking]
Do I have to change these settings on my router?
I thought Hamachi does what is necessary?
Greetings, HaPe
04-12-2022, 04:37 AM,
(04-12-2022, 03:29 AM)O.Schmidt Wrote: Do I have to change these settings on my router?
I thought Hamachi does what is necessary?

I cannot say, HaPe  I don't know what kind of service you have.  Not all ISPs will permit changes of this nature to be made.

I would suggest that you make the other (non-router) modifications first, (Section B onwards), and try to get a network battle going to see if it works.  If it doesn't, then you can change the router settings.

Good luck!
07-20-2022, 02:56 AM,
I'm one of the "lurkers" on your thread. No offer of a game from me, because the only Naval Warfare title I currently own is Wolfpack. But I did want to thank the OP for posting that step-by-step guide to setting up network battles back on March 28.

Cheers!
Mike
Quote:Me and General McAulliffe decided to move I Company up on the line. That is, if you agree.
- SGT Kinnie to PFC Holley, Battleground, 1949