• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How to modify location names on the map?
12-04-2021, 04:16 AM,
c_Question Mark  How to modify location names on the map?
Are there any guides or solutions about how to modify toponyms on the map? Yes, there is edsub.pdf but it outdated or unformative. I tried to correct some names and add new but its so confused.
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2021, 08:11 AM,
RE: How to modify location names on the map?
(12-04-2021, 04:16 AM)Dreamslayer_spb Wrote: Are there any guides or solutions about how to modify toponyms on the map? Yes, there is edsub.pdf but it outdated or unformative. I tried to correct some names and add new but its so confused.

It's done through the map editors.
Bydand
Send this user an email
12-05-2021, 09:22 AM,
(12-04-2021, 04:16 AM)Dreamslayer_spb Wrote: Are there any guides or solutions about how to modify toponyms on the map? Yes, there is edsub.pdf but it outdated or unformative. I tried to correct some names and add new but its so confused.

The edsub document does cover how it works but if there is something that is unclear let me know.

Basically, you open the map and then select Mode -> Label Add/Delete and Display -> Map Labels.

Then to alter an existing name you must first delete it by right-clicking on it. Then left-click on the hex where you want to place it and the dialog come up already populated with the details of the description you have just deleted. Change it as you wish and click OK. If it is not quite correct, repeat the process. The save your changes.

That is all there is to it.
12-05-2021, 09:31 AM,
(12-05-2021, 08:11 AM)_72z Wrote:

Yes, through the submap editor. There is the manual for it also. But the issue is that edsub.pdf isn't informative despite that submap editor looks simple. E.g. you can accidentally make mouse click on the map and it erases a location name somewhere around. 
12-05-2021, 09:36 AM,
(12-05-2021, 09:31 AM)Dreamslayer_spb Wrote:
(12-05-2021, 08:11 AM)_72z Wrote:

Yes, through the submap editor. There is the manual for it also. But the issue is that edsub.pdf isn't informative despite that submap editor looks simple. E.g. you can accidentally make mouse click on the map and it erases a location name somewhere around. 

Correct. That is a good point. When you right-click it will delete the nearest label. So it is important to click on the correct label. This should be mentioned in the submap manual, as it is an easy mistake to make. Thanks.
12-06-2021, 08:42 AM,
Somehow I managed how to change the location name. But when I load the scenario that location has double name (old and new). How to fix it?
12-06-2021, 10:25 AM,
(12-06-2021, 08:42 AM)Dreamslayer_spb Wrote: Somehow I managed how to change the location name. But when I load the scenario that location has double name (old and new). How to fix it?

I am not positive here, but the main map itself can have labels, and the sub maps more. So my guess is the old name is embedded in the main map. If so, that can't be changed, sorry to say.
[Image: exercise.png]
12-06-2021, 12:00 PM,
Thanks
12-06-2021, 08:45 PM,
So, after all that, the manual is indeed incorrect! Good to know...
12-06-2021, 11:52 PM,
(12-06-2021, 08:45 PM)Green Wrote: So, after all that, the manual is indeed incorrect! Good to know...
There is another but more difficult way to do it.

Open the desired map file using MS Word or Wordpad, scroll all the way down, and you'll find all of the location names.

You can edit the text as desired, and then save. The new text will then appear in the original location on map.

Text size and color might be able to be changed too, but I haven't tried it myself. There are some numerical values after the text entries, and I think they might control this.

I last used this method changing the DF '85 map when someone pointed out a few incorrect Austrian city names in the new Bolt 10.0 scenario.

As far as sub maps go, I don't know if changes to the master effect them or vice versa.