• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question about 4.0 patch
11-19-2021, 10:26 PM,
Question about 4.0 patch
So with the exciting news of WDS officially carrying further John's legacy, I noticed the new patch/installer 4.0 for Squad Battles restores the old graphics by default and provides the top-down graphics as an optional .zip file.

I believe this will make several folks happy, but I have a question for those who had trouble in the past, if/when they apply the new patch: does going back to the old graphics still make some vehicles counters invisible?

Also, note that it's not just the classic unit portrait graphics that've been restored, but ALL graphics-- symbols and terrain included. The updated version of those have to be extracted from the .zip now included in the Notes folder as (Name of the game)_topdown_graph.zip.
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2021, 06:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2021, 06:39 AM by Embis.)
RE: Question about 4.0 patch
(11-19-2021, 10:26 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote: ..snip..snip

if/when they apply the new patch: does going back to the old graphics still make some vehicles counters invisible?

..snip ..snip

I  think that this update has put right that particular issue.
..it seems JTS involved some people who knew what they were doing! Big Grin
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
11-20-2021, 08:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2021, 08:19 AM by bigus.)
Yes, I like it.
It seems to me right now that they reverted back and still have richie61's graphics if you prefer them in the options menu "Alternate graphics" You now have the option to use the top/down graphics if you prefer them.
Excellent move IMHO.
Not sure about the invisible graphics yet. I'm going to be busy this weekend getting back into AOTR.
11-20-2021, 11:48 AM,
Hi guys,

Thought I would look in and comment.

We will be doing a full review and revision of Squad Battles. We have done the minimum to get across to the 4.00 builds and I noticed right at the end there was some missing vehicle graphics. I will be addressing those soon.

With 100 titles to convert, this is the series we felt we had to do more with and had less time. Hence the decision to delay any proper upgrades till after the WDS launch.

I had never really looked at these titles until I started preparing the builds and there is so much potential - it just needs some concerted effort.

There are also a heap of things that can be easily fixed in areas such as graphics - for example why have images of vehicles for both sides all pointing in the same direction?

We have a lot of art assets (see Panzer Campaigns and Panzer Battles) that could translate across immediately, but we have a few ideas on how to distinguish Squad Battles from those series. More on that as we start to work on them.

I also plan to talk to you all via the forum here to check areas that may need focus. Xerxes77 has already volunteered to provide guidance and assistance and that will always be welcomed and appreciated. So expect us to share what we are doing and to look for your commentary and feedback. We may not be able to fix everything, but we will do our best to improve the series.

Finally, we have spent the time (and money!) to get control of the Tiller catalogue as we believe these are fantastic simulations with the potential to be played by a wider audience and we are as passionate about the games as you are.

Thank you for your ongoing support  Helmet Smile

David
11-20-2021, 09:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2021, 09:41 PM by phoenix.)
Great news, David. And fantastic to get a fix for the top-down issue. Many thanks!
11-22-2021, 04:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-22-2021, 04:54 PM by gabeeg.)
Thank you WDS team! I Love SB and with the graphics put back (...w/option for top down if you want) I am a happy, happy man. I just got finished updating my JTS to WDS and did not read the change log first before applying the patches in SB...when I opened up the first title to confirm the version I almost cried with joy :)

Some nice fixes and enhancements all around in all the updated series...even Naval! Well done!
P.S. I for one hope more is done with SB in the future with new titles and enhancements.
Kind Regards,
Harry
12-01-2021, 12:40 PM,
I downloaded the 4.0 patch for Dien Bein Phu from WDS and installed in WDS directory. When I tried to run the game I got "Error reading scenario file". I then unzipped patch over Dien Bein Phu in my JTS install and got the same error. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks
SSG C. Stanford USA Retired (1969-1991)South Vietnam, Athens Greece, West Berlin Germany, USAF Security Police, USA Infantry, USA Military Police. Duty, Honor, Country
12-01-2021, 07:45 PM,
(12-01-2021, 12:40 PM)stanfc Wrote: I downloaded the 4.0 patch for Dien Bein Phu from WDS and installed in WDS directory. When I tried to run the game I got "Error reading scenario file". I then unzipped patch over Dien Bein Phu in my JTS install and got the same error. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks

Which scenario was this?
Wargame Design Studio Lead Programmer https://wargameds.com/
12-02-2021, 02:19 AM,
I first tried the "Started" scenario and then I tried other scenarios and got the same error. Other SQB games are working. fine.
SSG C. Stanford USA Retired (1969-1991)South Vietnam, Athens Greece, West Berlin Germany, USAF Security Police, USA Infantry, USA Military Police. Duty, Honor, Country
12-02-2021, 02:30 AM,
(12-02-2021, 02:19 AM)stanfc Wrote: I first tried the "Started" scenario and then I tried other scenarios and got the same error. Other SQB games are working. fine.

That's odd because I installed JTS 1.04 and then put the WDS 4.0 update over the top and had no problems opening the Getting Started scenario (or any others for that matter)

Can you send an email to [email protected] detailing the issue?

I'll ask if anyone else has seen this.
Wargame Design Studio Lead Programmer https://wargameds.com/