• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A really big day for Wargame Design Studio
11-20-2021, 12:27 AM,
RE: A really big day for Wargame Design Studio
One question, just installing the new patches for already installed products will get us current...correct, no need to reinstall from the new installers from scratch. Just confirming for my peace of mind.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2021, 12:35 AM,
(11-20-2021, 12:27 AM)budd Wrote: One question, just installing the new patches for already installed products will get us current...correct, no need to reinstall from the new installers from scratch. Just confirming for my peace of mind.

I would strongly recommend installing from the new installers.

With the server issues being experienced on the updates, we can't guarantee that they have come down correctly. The full installers are coming from much larger infrastructure, than where we are hosting the updates, so there should not be an issue there.

David
11-20-2021, 12:47 AM,
Roger that, I am downloading the new installers. Your right it works much better, already finished 5 downloads.

Another question, will the front end menu that displays all our installed titles still work.

Thanks
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde
11-20-2021, 02:04 AM,
(11-19-2021, 10:52 PM)Kilo Wrote: Great news!

Will ongoing pbem's work with the new updates?

My question, too. What effect will installing the latest update have on existing pbem games? Is it better to finish ongoing games before updating or is it safe to update now?
11-20-2021, 02:19 AM,
(11-20-2021, 02:04 AM)Sir John Cope Wrote:

My question, too. What effect will installing the latest update have on existing pbem games? Is it better to finish ongoing games before updating or is it safe to update now?

For ongoing games, you will be prevented from changing the AAR optional rule in mid game.  With so many changes in the updates, there might be other glitches besides.  You are advised to finish any ongoing games with your current install.

That said, it is possible to support multiple installs of the same game(s).  In the install procedure, just be sure to install to a different location.  For example:  c:\Games\JTS [old] -> c:\Games\WDS [new].  That should leave undisturbed your older install(s), with any ongoing saved games.

Good luck.
11-20-2021, 02:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2021, 02:26 AM by LordDeadwood.)
(11-20-2021, 02:04 AM)Sir John Cope Wrote:

From another thread:
[Image: Capture.JPG]
So these are not updates, they are new games. They are not installed in the same folder as the existing games, they can be installed concurrently. So current PBEM (or other) games will not appear when launching the game and using the file selection. That being said, you could probably copy .bte files from your current JTS folders to the new ones and open them in the new games. But with changes to alternative assault rules and others, this has the potential to drastically change the play of ongoing games. Obviously, this is something each player would have to work out with their opponents.
11-20-2021, 03:15 AM,
(11-20-2021, 02:25 AM)LordDeadwood Wrote: [Image: Capture.JPG]
So these are not updates, they are new games. They are not installed in the same folder as the existing games, they can be installed concurrently. So current PBEM (or other) games will not appear when launching the game and using the file selection. That being said, you could probably copy .bte files from your current JTS folders to the new ones and open them in the new games. But with changes to alternative assault rules and others, this has the potential to drastically change the play of ongoing games. Obviously, this is something each player would have to work out with their opponents.

Thanks - that they are installed in a different folder is a point I didn't pick up from Strela's comment. I think I'd prefer to finish my current games under their original rules rather than change mid-game, but horses for courses.
11-20-2021, 03:26 AM,
From the change log for France '40 4.00:

Revised default optional rules...Alternative Indirect Fire Resolution, Alternative Air Strike Resolution and Alternative Direct Fire Resolution have been removed.

I'm assuming this means they have been removed as defaults, not that they've been removed from the options available to players, but please tell me if otherwise?
11-20-2021, 03:47 AM,
(11-20-2021, 03:26 AM)Sir John Cope Wrote: From the change log for France '40 4.00:

Revised default optional rules...Alternative Indirect Fire Resolution, Alternative Air Strike Resolution and Alternative Direct Fire Resolution have been removed.

I'm assuming this means they have been removed as defaults, not that they've been removed from the options available to players, but please tell me if otherwise?

The rules have not been removed.  Rather, defaulting to those rules has been changed.  In all cases, once you have set your preferred rules, that is saved and carried over to future games.
11-20-2021, 03:47 AM,
(11-20-2021, 03:26 AM)Sir John Cope Wrote: From the change log for France '40 4.00:

I would assume that as well, but I just fired up the new install of France '40, Prucha_B4 scenario and all of the alternative fire resolution rules were selected by default.  Confused