• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stacking limitation during charge
10-17-2021, 08:12 AM,
Stacking limitation during charge
I'm playing Waterloo and I am using a cavalry unit of 650 heavy horse to charge a French infantry unit (4xx) but when I try and add it to the melee I get a message that 'total stacking force exceeds stacking limitations'. 

Is that odd? I'm not trying to join them in the hex, I'm trying to chase them out!
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2021, 08:13 AM,
RE: Stacking limitation during charge
I just tried to charge an artillery unit of 8 guns and I get the same message.
10-17-2021, 09:56 AM,
Check the pdt to see what the max is. Some units are larger than the stacking limit but may not be an issue until you melee. Break it down I go squadrons and leave one out and see if that works
10-17-2021, 10:00 AM,
Thanks KG, that did it. It seems a bit odd that the stacking limitation can prevent you from being meleed.
10-18-2021, 01:27 AM,
My 2 Cents  RE: Stacking limitation during charge
(10-17-2021, 10:00 AM)CountryBoy Wrote: Thanks KG, that did it. It seems a bit odd that the stacking limitation can prevent you from being meleed.
If you check the stacking limit it may be 600 Cavalry Max.
Not really an expert at the Nappy system but since the regiment contains 650 men I guess the engine allows you to move it when combined.  Apparently the stacking limit is ignored for movement since it is a single unit but the 600 max prevents meleeing with the whole regiment just as if you were using two units.  By breaking it down to squadrons and leaving one behind you meet the stacking limit and can melee.
12-01-2021, 01:49 PM,
Over the years there appears to have been the intent to standardize all the games in the series to have the same values, in this case stacking. The older games used regimental sized cavalry units, some of those in NRC were a thousand troopers strong! Newer games represent squadrons as the base unit. Anyway, stacking values were lowered across the board in all the games, which are a simple entry in the PDF files. Unfortunately, it’s not so easy to go and change the oob’s to reflect squadrons as the base unit as hundreds of scenarios per game likely would need be rebuilt by scratch!
07-10-2022, 04:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2022, 04:49 PM by tobruck41.)
Yes, I just emailed them. You need to find the Cav stacking limit. In Waterloo it is 600. I had the same issue, charging w 650 men just to find I couldn't attack.

I played around a bit and found out that you need to create a squadron to lower the amount to 'fit' the parent unit to 600 or less parameter stacking limit.

WDS are going to change the stacking values in Waterloo to fix this issue.
07-12-2022, 02:47 AM,
I notified WDS support some time ago and Rich said that was suppose to be fixed and it was not.

Maximum cavalry is 600.........he said to break off a skirmisher and that would work for now.

next update will correct it.