• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Waterloo Long Campaign - Feedback
10-04-2021, 05:01 AM,
Waterloo Long Campaign - Feedback
Hi -

I have Waterloo and see it has been recently updated.  I am tempted to dive into the magnificent looking 388-turn Waterloo campaign, where the map covers all the historical area of the campaign.  Has anyone played this to some extent, perhaps even to a conclusion?  What has been your experience?  Is it fun?  Fairly balanced?  Historical?

J.
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2021, 06:45 PM,
RE: Waterloo Long Campaign - Feedback
I played the older version which was way too pro French. They could be at Quatre Bras a day early whilst the allied reinforcements weren't even on the map. And exit hexes for the French but not allies makes no sense; they can march on Brussels leaving the allies in the rear.

The new patch makes gameplay very different and I'm still getting to grips with it.
10-06-2021, 02:04 AM,
What is it that makes gameplay that different with the patch?

One thing it changed for the better for campaign play is allowing supply waggons a greater speed on roads. Without that change prussian waggons starting in the east had no chance at all to follow their army marching west.
10-06-2021, 03:46 AM,
It seems likely that the introduction of night fatigue will reduce the attractiveness of the "race for Brussels" gambit?
10-06-2021, 06:01 PM,
Certainly night fatigue makes the game play differently. Also the new LoS rules makes a big difference. Mixed unit penalty I don't quite understand yet but it seems to penalize those who launch attacks with stacks from a number of different formations if I understand it right.
10-08-2021, 03:09 AM,
(10-06-2021, 06:01 PM)agmoss99 Wrote: Certainly night fatigue makes the game play differently. Also the new LoS rules makes a big difference. Mixed unit penalty I don't quite understand yet but it seems to penalize those who launch attacks with stacks from a number of different formations if I understand it right.

If you mix units from different brigades in a stack each receives a -1 morale penalty during checks. Artillery units do not trigger this.
10-17-2021, 08:10 AM,
I'm at turn 78 in a PBEM game using the old version I think and the French are absolutely stomping the Coalition (who are unfortunately being commanded by me).
10-19-2021, 02:20 AM,
(10-04-2021, 05:01 AM)Elxaime Wrote: Hi -

I have Waterloo and see it has been recently updated.  I am tempted to dive into the magnificent looking 388-turn Waterloo campaign, where the map covers all the historical area of the campaign.  Has anyone played this to some extent, perhaps even to a conclusion?  What has been your experience?  Is it fun?  Fairly balanced?  Historical?

J.

The Waterloo Long campaign is absolutely my favorite scenario of all games. It's a great gaming situation pitting the vastly superior numerical Allies ( over 85,000 advantage ) against the qualitative advantage of the French. The large map allows players the ability to make strategic decisions. I have probably played this scenario at least a dozen times with a wide variety of results for both sides over 15 years.

The new features such as being able to play Phased Play with AI doing Defensive Fire eliminates the need for a separate e-mail and no more blitz tactics. Reduced visibility makes scouting more valuable. Night fatigue reduces night movement so troops have a realistic chance to rest.

Great game!
08-19-2022, 02:32 PM,
Do you players playing the long game us AI for movement until you get close to the enemy? I find it tedious to move hundreds and hundreds of units for 'days' until closing w the enemy. But I've never had great results with the AI; troops get jumbled and messed up.
08-19-2022, 07:38 PM,
I do use the automovement for units on roads only. But avoid cities where units have a tendency to go off piste and get disordered.