• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Returning player
09-23-2021, 10:45 PM,
Returning player
Hello all, returning to wargaming after a long break, and looking for advice on a Panzer Campaign titles. Appreciate that many will say buy the one that covers battles which interest you the most. Looking for any theatre, but with best count of small and medium sized scenarios, as reluctant to plunge in to full size campaigns till I wet my feet a bit. I have some old titles from HPS days, but wonder if I am better with the games upgraded to gold editions, which I understand will not work with the upgrades from JTS. Thanks for any thoughts/Rgds
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2021, 03:52 AM,
RE: Returning player
(09-23-2021, 10:45 PM)Massattack Wrote: Hello all, returning to wargaming after a long break, and looking for advice on a Panzer Campaign titles. Appreciate that many will say buy the one that covers battles which interest you the most. Looking for any theatre, but with best count of small and medium sized scenarios, as reluctant to plunge in to full size campaigns till I wet my feet a bit. I have some old titles from HPS days, but wonder if I am better with the games upgraded to gold editions, which I understand will not work with the upgrades from JTS. Thanks for any thoughts/Rgds

Some of us are still HPS "aficionados" who prefer to play the HPS versions that have better maps and graphics. If you want to "upgrade" you have to start from scratch as the "upgrade" window has passed.  jonny
09-24-2021, 04:58 AM,
Welcome,

Every title comes with a whole range of scenarios in terms of unit density, map size and turn length, so there really isn't a title that stands out in this regard, pick any one and you will not be disappointed with the scenario mix.

You are wise to play some smaller scenarios and build yourself up to the campaigns, jumping straight into a CG will only make the learning curve so much more difficult and end in frustration at the overload.

Personally I would go for the Gold versions, most other guys here have and so it will make matching up against an opponent much easier.  Wink
09-24-2021, 02:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2021, 03:27 PM by Tempest5.)
Try the free demo at...
https://johntillersoftware.com/PanzerBat...sDemo.html

Belgium 1940, Kursk, Normandy, North Africa, Italy and Guadalcanal. Not a Campaign game but enough units to make it almost like that. Plenty of scenarios.

I have Japan’45 and Japan ‘46 ..and trying to make up my mind on the next campaign game. J45 and 46 are “what if’s” and are challenges and I am happy with those purchases. Mulling Scheldt ‘44 cuz ...well...it’s a challenge init?
09-24-2021, 05:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2021, 05:29 PM by typhoon.)
A good place to start might be the blitz scenario database all the titles with all the scenarios are listed there with a good description and you can sort  by turns and see what others think.
  My self I would choose the gold standard better everything and preferably a title with new 2d zoomed in map mode good on the eyes.Which ever you choose though good battling I’m sure your have lots of fun and if you pbem make some good friends on the way.
09-25-2021, 08:19 AM,
Thanks all for the inputs and advice. I had tried the Mius Front demo which is what kindled my interest in tackling PC again. I purchased Kharkov42 Gold and just got a Soviet minor victory in the 26 turn Barankevo scenario  (The start of the Bulge). Of course thats against the AI, but small steps [Image: smile.gif]. Will try a few more scenarios before I summon up the courage for a pbem.
09-28-2021, 07:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2021, 07:29 AM by Kool Kat.)
(09-25-2021, 08:19 AM)Massattack Wrote: Thanks all for the inputs and advice. I had tried the Mius Front demo which is what kindled my interest in tackling PC again. I purchased Kharkov42 Gold and just got a Soviet minor victory in the 26 turn Barankevo scenario  (The start of the Bulge). Of course thats against the AI, but small steps [Image: smile.gif]. Will try a few more scenarios before I summon up the courage for a pbem.

Gent:  Smoke7

I highly recommend that you move quickly to PBeM (Human opponents) and ditch playing against the AI ASAP.

You will pick-up bad habits playing against HAL and will need to re-learn how to play effectively against human opponents.  Smile

Trust me. It is better to take the hard knocks and lose your initial PBeM matches miserably then play the AI. Human opponents do not behave like the AI!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email