Scheldt 44' - coming to Netflix
09-17-2021, 05:34 AM,
Scheldt 44' - coming to Netflix
Thought this would be of interest!

The Forgotten Battle | Official trailer | Netflix - YouTube
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2021, 09:22 AM,
RE: Scheldt 44' - coming to Netflix
(09-17-2021, 05:34 AM)Elxaime Wrote: Thought this would be of interest!

Beats a poke in the eye, but too many women in the movie. And Dunkirk, the movie, stunk.
09-17-2021, 11:35 AM,
Interesting. Looks like a Dutch production Netflix owns a piece of? I'll watch it if I get a chance.
09-20-2021, 09:50 AM,
(09-17-2021, 09:22 AM)HirooOnoda Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 05:34 AM)Elxaime Wrote: Thought this would be of interest!

Beats a poke in the eye, but too many women in the movie. And Dunkirk, the movie, stunk.

Gent Smoke7

I guess women were not impacted by the war, so no need to show them in The Forgotten Battle - correct?  Nor did any women serve in any of the Holland  resistance groups correct? No need to show women there either?
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
09-22-2021, 08:27 AM,
(09-20-2021, 09:50 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: Gent Smoke7

I guess women were not impacted by the war, so no need to show them in The Forgotten Battle - correct?  Nor did any women serve in any of the Holland  resistance groups correct? No need to show women there either?

Couldn't have said it better myself, nicely put Kool Kat.

I've been eyeing the movie for quite some time - and visuals look quite good. At the very least, we are getting some love for an underappreciated battle of WW2.
10-16-2021, 09:31 PM,
Gents: Smoke7

"The Forgotten Battle" released on Netflix (Oct. 15).

I found it to be a well done film (acting + equipment & scenes) with three good interwoven stories.  Smile The flooded village scenes and the climatic battle on the dam were authentic-looking, tense and exciting. Film drives home the ultimate sacrifices that were made by civilians and combatants during "The Forgotten Battle."    

Here's a summary of "Next Flicks" review;

"Overall, "The Forgotten Battle" is a good mix of storytelling and action with solid cast performances. This film is visually impressive, and it could easily pass for a Hollywood production. If you enjoy war movies, you'll appreciate this well-made Dutch war story." (English sub-titles.)
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
10-19-2021, 12:21 AM,
The Netflix version is dubbed in English, and I despise dubbing. Is the original Dutch version available with English subtitles instead of dubbing?
10-19-2021, 09:36 PM,
(10-19-2021, 12:21 AM)dto Wrote: The Netflix version is dubbed in English, and I despise dubbing. Is the original Dutch version available with English subtitles instead of dubbing?

Gent:  Smoke7

Multiple languages are spoken throughout the film including Dutch, German, and English. There are English subtitles. The Netflix version is not dubbed.

Filming took place in the Netherlands, Belgium, and Lithuania.
Send this user an email
10-19-2021, 11:54 PM,
I tried watching it this morning, got about half way through and gave up.  The acting is just okay, but the story is just slow and boring.  I certainly wouldn’t call it a “war movie” as it isn’t presenting any grand overview of the battle.  It’s just a drama set during the war, and dramas should be, well, dramatic.  This plods along and you really don’t get interested in these people at all.  Bit of a fail in my opinion.
10-21-2021, 03:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2021, 05:29 AM by Kool Kat.)
(10-19-2021, 11:54 PM)Hi Steel God Wrote: I tried watching it this morning, got about half way through and gave up.  The acting is just okay, but the story is just slow and boring.  I certainly wouldn’t call it a “war movie” as it isn’t presenting any grand overview of the battle.  It’s just a drama set during the war, and dramas should be, well, dramatic.  This plods along and you really don’t get interested in these people at all.  Bit of a fail in my opinion.
Gent: Smoke7

Of course, “The Forgotten Battle” is not a war movie.

The title - “The Forgotten Battle” has nothing to do with a war movie.

The airborne/ glider operation depicted does not play a critical role in later scenes. Certainly, not a war movie.

The climatic battle scene, when the Canadian soldiers launch a strike across the dam, has nothing to do with a war movie.

The pivotal scene when the resistance fighter delivers the tidal charts to the Canadian officers so the Allies can stage a flanking maneuver against the entrenched Germans on the dam, has nothing to do with a war movie.

German and Canadian soldiers playing a deadly “cat-and-mouse” game in a flooded village has nothing to do with a war movie.

Certainly "drama," but not a war movie.

Whistle
Send this user an email