• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Artillery values
09-14-2021, 06:42 PM,
Artillery values
I would like to open a discussion on the values of artillery in the game.

I observe, for example, that the American Long Tom 155 gun has a soft value of 18, and the American 155 mm howitzer also has the same value of 18. Both guns fired a projectile weighing about 45 kg.

I read this article by a military doctor about artillery shell injuries:

'' The magnitude of the injury produced by a projectile
is given by its weight (mass), shape, speed, drag, resistance of the tissue through which the projectile passes,
drag coefficient, the combination of shape and velocity of the projectile and the viscoelastic properties
(tensile strength and density) of the tissues, displacement and stability of the projectile within the tissues and the
kinetic energy released by the projectile at the moment
of the impact. In general, the potential for injury of a
Projectile in particular is largely determined by the efficiency of the projectile in transferring kinetic energy to the impacted tissues. Likewise, at
doubling the mass of a projectile doubles the energy
kinetic, but doubling the speed quadruples the
Kinetic energy. According to the formula: Energy
Kinetics = ½ Mass x Speed 2.
The velocity of a projectile as it exits the barrel of the
weapon allows them to be classified into:
High Speed (PAV) when traveling over 2,000
ft / sec, equivalent to 609.5 m / sec, Projectile of
Average Velocity (PVM) from 1,100 to 2,000 ft / sec and
Low Velocity Projectile (PBV) at less than 1,100
ft / sec. Others consider PAV those who travel to
over 2,500 ft / sec. Injuries caused by
high and low velocity projectiles differ both
in magnitude as in class and, therefore, in its treatment. PAVs tend to produce more destruction
tissue due to its fragmentation and its effects of
temporary cavitation '

The impact energy of a projectile is equal:

(m * v * v) / 2,

depends on the weight of the projectile and the velocity squared

In other words, the impact of a Long Tom projectile is 4.6 times higher than that of a howitzer of the same caliber (155mm), firing the same type of 45kg projectile.

Should both guns have the same values?

Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2021, 08:32 PM,
RE: Artillery values
Sorry Long Tom 2,3 greater than how 155, shell 43 kg
09-15-2021, 03:51 AM,
RE: Artillery values
I believe the article is about a non-explosive projectile impacting a person's body, rather than a high explosive shell - I am thinking bullets primarily. It could also apply, potentially, to solid antitank rounds. To apply it to an artillery shell that explodes, it would really on the velocity of the shell fragments, which would have a velocity imparted by the explosive charge rather than the shell's velocity.

Frequently, due to this, howitzers actually had a larger quantity of explosives in the shell, while guns had lighter, thicker walled shells. This was due to the need for the guns firing at a higher velocity to increase the shell casing for strength, otherwise the shells couldn't handle the extra force of firing - both acceleration and gas pressure in the tube. I know for sure that the German 17cm guns were like this, and you can see it in PzC ratings (at least the original ones) where the 15.5 cm howitzers had higher SAs than these long range guns - in that case the guns had a much longer range as their shells were also lighter than the howitzers, to help the range, so they had very light charges in the shell.

I don't know enough about the US 155mms you mention, they used the same powder mechanism so I suspect the shells were the same also.
[Image: exercise.png]